Shotgun slugs?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Shotgun slugs?

Post by MetalPigeon » 10 Dec 2019, 11:05 am

I'm looking to get a shotgun to deal with a group of deer I've had a few close encounters with. Slugs seem like the way to go but my only option for slugs at the local gun shop is incredibly expensive.

I'm a little lost as to where to start in terms of reloading slugs. Is there somewhere I can buy already cast slugs? If not how do I go about casting them? What's the best option for hulls? I'm unsure if it matters how high the brass section is and what about full brass shells?. Do I need to use half a dozen pieces of wadding material like I've seen in a certain rednecks YouTube video? Does it matter what kind of wadding I use?

Really I'm just looking for a simple way to avoid spending so much on slugs.
MetalPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Shotgun slugs?

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 10 Dec 2019, 11:45 am

Hi Metapigeon
Ive got a H&R Ultraslug which is rifled and pretty accurate out to 100m.so they say but Ive only had good results around 50m (one hole with 3 shots). If you are firing through a smoothbore - good luck! I have bought wads and mould through SlugsRUs in the US - check em out. By the the time you buy the mould,wads. lead and reloading gear and powder, if you only want to shoot a couple of deer you'd be better off buying the slugs from the gunshop. It takes a while at the range to work out a good accurate load for 12G slugs.
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Dec 2019, 11:52 am

MetalPigeon wrote:I'm looking to get a shotgun to deal with a group of deer I've had a few close encounters with. Slugs seem like the way to go but my only option for slugs at the local gun shop is incredibly expensive.

I'm a little lost as to where to start in terms of reloading slugs. Is there somewhere I can buy already cast slugs? If not how do I go about casting them? What's the best option for hulls? I'm unsure if it matters how high the brass section is and what about full brass shells?. Do I need to use half a dozen pieces of wadding material like I've seen in a certain rednecks YouTube video? Does it matter what kind of wadding I use?

Really I'm just looking for a simple way to avoid spending so much on slugs.

Get a Lee 7/8oz mould, a ladle, a gas torch, and some sheet lead from Bunnings.
Buy some cheap bulk field loads, open them up, pour out the shot, then press the slug into the hull, it fits into the shot cup. You don't need wads or high-brass hulls. You can just trim the crimp off the end of the shell, the slugs seem to stay in just fine for me. Or you can put a dab of silicone or wax around the edge, or buy a roll crimper off Ebay and crimp them with a drill.
Test shoot them for accuracy and to learn their trajectory.

Frankly, a .44 Magnum or .30-30 would be better option I think, slugs don't have rifle accuracy - 4-5MoA probably, so best under 50m or so. If you use a shotgun it has to have rifle sights or an optic in Victoria. You also need a game licence.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 11 Dec 2019, 11:57 am

OO/SG is called Buck shot for a reason.It should be commonly available at most gunshops and will do the job.I guess you are talking about Fallow.I made my own solids way back and they are devastating to use
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 12 Dec 2019, 12:47 am

Try to find some federal tru ball slugs. Bit cheaper than others and quite accurate. I've never had any luck with the lee 7/8oz slugs accuracy wise
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by geoff » 12 Dec 2019, 9:00 am

You say youre looking to get a shotgun for this purpose, implying you don't already own one. Is there any particular reason you wouldn't just opt for a centrefire rifle instead?
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Dec 2019, 9:19 am

Im using 1oz Lee. They seem ok.. u can crimp in a normal manner. Just get the wad column height right with a normal powder charge.

Better buy a 308 or similar mate.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Dec 2019, 4:47 pm

geoff wrote:You say youre looking to get a shotgun for this purpose, implying you don't already own one. Is there any particular reason you wouldn't just opt for a centrefire rifle instead?

Maybe only has CatA licence?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Dec 2019, 7:48 pm

Then a BO centerfire
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Dec 2019, 7:58 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Then a BO centerfire

Centrefires are CatB.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Dec 2019, 8:02 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Centrefires are CatB.

Mmm ok
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 12 Dec 2019, 8:30 pm

Anyway if the OP is serious about buying some Slugs of various types I know a guy that may be able to help but Next Year.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition