300 WSM reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

300 WSM reloading

Post by olly_2001 » 14 Dec 2019, 9:17 pm

Hello
While I’ve reloaded a lot for other calibers the 300WSM challenges me

I did 2 lots up , first of 150gn pills Which shot well.

The other was 210gn Berger’s which I bought in a “sale”. Yes I know....
I got a load from this site which was above max when I checked the adi site so pulled the bullets and took out the powder to a grain under max. Then put them back and am nervous shooting them, my question is
To fit in the magazine they seem to sit very deeply with 2/3 of the projectile in the case and that makes me nervous.
I’ve read elsewhere it seems to be ok but I just want that confirmed by more experienced folks here.
Using a good rifle , Montana ASR.
Thanks in advance
Brno 22, Anschutz 22WMR, Tikka 223 Rem / 243W, Sako 300 WSM, Montana ASR 300WSM,
Barnard 223 Rem / 284W 7mm F-Class
olly_2001
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 300 WSM reloading

Post by JimTom » 14 Dec 2019, 9:22 pm

Work up your own loads using the manufacturers data.

DO NOT USE OTHER PEOPLES LOADS ESPECIALLY IF THEY’RE ABOVE THE MAXIMUM LOAD.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by flutch » 14 Dec 2019, 11:45 pm

thing is WSM dont usually go too well with anything over 168gn projie wise, I would be sticking to the lower weight projies if I were you, where there is reliable ADI and Winchester etc load data.

Edit:
I apologise, ADI have updated their load data all the way upto 220gn, in any case be careful and heed their data when loading. They have data for 208gn projectiles, I would be using that myself if I were in your shoes.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sungazer » 15 Dec 2019, 8:31 am

These heavy bullets were never made with SAMI specs in mind nor loading from a magazine. They are made with the target shooter in mind using big heavy barrels with chambers cut to suit the bullet the shooter wishes to use.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Dec 2019, 9:12 am

sungazer wrote:These heavy bullets were never made with SAMI specs in mind nor loading from a magazine. They are made with the target shooter in mind using big heavy barrels with chambers cut to suit the bullet the shooter wishes to use.

Exactly this. You have to individually load heavy VLD and seat them out as long as you can. You are seating them deep into the case and effectively reducing the space in the case. You are turning your nice big case into a 3006. If you are shooting at short range you can shoot the tiny 150 or 168 and they are able to fit into your mag.

As said in the second post, alway start low and work up to where you want to be. Just load one round of each, starting at a nice safe load, the ADI minimum if you are not experienced with that case. Go up in 0.3 of a grain each time and when you shoot them take note of pressure signs. Look out for sticky bolt, extractor marks and flattened primers.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by olly_2001 » 15 Dec 2019, 4:54 pm

Thanks everybody. You’ve confirmed what I suspected.... they were a dumb buy.
I’ll pull out the projectiles and use others.
Safety first.
I saw a long range 300WSM rifle and the thing had a huge barrel and the projectiles seated well out as you said.
Will take all the advice on board. Thanks again
Brno 22, Anschutz 22WMR, Tikka 223 Rem / 243W, Sako 300 WSM, Montana ASR 300WSM,
Barnard 223 Rem / 284W 7mm F-Class
olly_2001
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition