Importing projectiles?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Importing projectiles?

Post by Kel » 15 Dec 2019, 7:39 am

Berger has released a new bullet (144gr long range hybrid 6.5mm) which is not expected to be available in Australia for six months or so. Is a permit needed to import that projectile directly from overseas in the meantime?
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Importing projectiles?

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2019, 7:42 am

Kel wrote:Berger has released a new bullet (144gr long range hybrid 6.5mm) which is not expected to be available in Australia for six months or so. Is a permit needed to import that projectile directly from overseas in the meantime?

B709 and a US export permit so you'd probably want to order 1000 or more.
Try Reloading International.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Dec 2019, 8:37 am

Are you able to use the 140 grain VLD Hybrid until BRT bring your 144 to Australia? Have you asked Stuart or Annie when they can get this new bullet for you?

What does the new bullet do better than anything else?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kel » 15 Dec 2019, 2:59 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Are you able to use the 140 grain VLD Hybrid until BRT bring your 144 to Australia? Have you asked Stuart or Annie when they can get this new bullet for you?

What does the new bullet do better than anything else?

Yeah, have checked with BRT, hence the awareness of how long before it will be available.

Since it is a newly developed bullet and touted as jump tolerant I figured it would be the best choice to try and work up a long range load for my magazine fed (long jump) 6.5CM. Until now I've been using a 140Gr Elite hunter which has been fine to 500m but since I'm going to be venturing out to 1000m I thought I might try and develop a long range load based on a match bullet.

Thanks for the info @Bladeracer
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Dec 2019, 7:23 pm

If the 144 has any sort of advantage over the 140 Hybrid Target, it would be a tiny percentage and probably of no consequence to your results. The problem with shooting heavier bullets seated deep into the case so that they fit your magazine is that you are robbing space that is needed for powder. You may do better with a 130 grain projectile that you can push faster, it will still have an excellent BC.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 15 Dec 2019, 7:37 pm

yeap Im with SCJ429 on this, not sure the CM case has enough grunt, i use to run the 130 berger hybrid in my 260 rem as no other bullet at the time worked better in my sort action, a 6.5 swede or PRC would be different with the 144gr. ill be ordering some too test over winter in my swede :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Kel » 15 Dec 2019, 8:01 pm

hmm, good food for thought. I wish I'd seen those comments before I ordered 300 of the 140s. Well I'll see how they go!

Thanks for the advice.
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 15 Dec 2019, 8:03 pm

yep I also agree heavier is not always better. Their are plenty of people shooting Lapua Scenars in the 123-130 range that shoot much better than the 140s. No good having a better BC if you cant push it fast enough to obtain that advantage. They also need to shoot well.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 15 Dec 2019, 9:09 pm

not that l dont agree with what others have said but l think this is a good read by people who make long range shooters
https://www.gunwerks.com/blog/long-rang ... reedmoor-9

you could always put a 6.5x284 reamer in your existing chamber for more velocity, just saying ;) :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition