Overall length 22 hornet

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Overall length 22 hornet

Post by Leadspitter » 20 Dec 2019, 7:33 am

G dsy guys ,

I am going to give this reloading caper a go.

I am going to buy the gear soon.

Is there a special tool to measure the overall length , from the base of the cartridge , to the datum on the projectile.

The datum on the projectile being bore diamatre i guess

I just want to know what to ask for when i go to buy the gear.
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Overall length 22 hornet

Post by duncan61 » 20 Dec 2019, 9:22 am

Once fired brass will stretch a tiny amount and a case trimmer is all that is needed.I cycle my trimmed brass through the rifle to make sure it will chamber easy.To set overall length I followed some advice and only half neck size the first case then push a projectile in so that it is over length then chamber the round a few times in different positions the projectile will now be touching the lands if it did not get stuck and pulled out.Just keep doing till you get it right.Measure the overall length then set your press to be .8-1 mm deeper.should be about half a turn on the seating die.I have found this worked well for all my rifles.Apparently it takes up the expansion of the primer before the powder burns so the projectile is on the lands when it burns.full on target guys seat so the projectile is on the lands and seats deeper when the bolt is closed only problem if you unload the projectile may pull out and now you have an action full of powder.I reload hornet and it is a pleasant Chambering you need stuff all pressure to resize brass.For many years Hornet was the only centrefire rifle I had as it was classed as low power in the old days and 218 bee was high power.Enjoy your new hobby you are going to have a lot of fun
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Dec 2019, 10:11 am

Yes, you want the Hornady Bullet Comparator that attaches to your vernia caliper.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 Dec 2019, 12:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:Yes, you want the Hornady Bullet Comparator that attaches to your vernia caliper.

this is right to answer your question but you will still need to have an oal that suits your magazine before the chamber :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 20 Dec 2019, 3:55 pm

Leadspitter is your Hornet a single shot or does it have a removable magazine bolt action
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 20 Dec 2019, 4:50 pm

Leadspitter wrote:G dsy guys ,

I am going to give this reloading caper a go.

I am going to buy the gear soon.

Is there a special tool to measure the overall length , from the base of the cartridge , to the datum on the projectile.

The datum on the projectile being bore diamatre i guess

I just want to know what to ask for when i go to buy the gear.

i owned a extremely accurate krico 22 hornet that i used to reload for , i'll pass on what advice i can recall. hornady make a very good overall length gauge which uses a dummy case that screws onto the gauge , the projectile fitted in the case and expanded in the chamber , locked in position, withdrawn and the absolute overall length is measured. unfortunately , hornady don't make a dummy case for the hornet . you can mail a case to them and they'll drill and tap it for you , or find a local fitter/turner who can do it for you. i use this gauge for my other calibers and it's a very handy tool . the best powder i used was lil' gun , which produced one hole accuracy at 100 yards . don't get too hung up on getting the projectiles seated close to the lands some of my best loads were seated short . the hornet can suffer inaccuracy from bullet jump and one way fight this is to make sure there is enough grip on the projectile by the thin hornet case by seating the projectile on the short side , paying attention to not compressing the powder which could result in preasure spikes . the other thing that helps is using small pistol primers with less risk of the primer popping the projectile onto the lands before the powder fully ignites .
for projectiles the sierra 40 gn hollow points give amazing accuracy , as well as the 40 gn hornady vmax . the vmax is a long projectile, and may well need to be seated a bit short just to fit in a magazine .35 gn vmax is also good , and sierra make hornet specific soft points with thin copper jackets to ensure proper expansion at hornet velocity . don't take my word to be gospel, be cautious in reloading , and check everything twice

hope some of this helps , hornet can be fussy , but can also be silly accurate when you get it right :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Leadspitter » 21 Dec 2019, 9:50 pm

Thanks all ,

I will get the hornady comparator thingy that attaches to the vernier.

Cz 527 so loaded ammo must fit the magazine.

I will try a loosely sized neck and try to find the lands that way.

So overall length is dictated by the mag to some extent.

I was planning on using sierra soft points.

Out of the 40 s and 45s is there a clear winner in the accuracy stakes ?

Also the speer 40 gr spire point looks like a well finished projectile , do they fly straight ?

Also 35 gr vmax seem to get good reviews.

I ll go with 2005 for powder.

Thanks guys happy christmas.

Time flys like an arrow !
Fruit flies like a bannana !
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by 9.3x64 » 22 Dec 2019, 7:15 am

Hey big rich, Hornady does make a modified case for the Hornet, it comes in a little kit. I have one.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 22 Dec 2019, 11:00 am

9.3x64 wrote:Hey big rich, Hornady does make a modified case for the Hornet, it comes in a little kit. I have one.

ah, okay . they didn't make one when i had mine , i tried to order one through rebel but there was no listing in the hornady catalogue . i found my hornet liked to be seated short , better case grip on the projectile , more consistent accuracy . 40 gn sierra hp and 40 vmax were the most accurate in my rifle . it had a heavy swan barrel on it . i moved that rifle on when i got my hands on a model 70 222 . amazingly accurate and easy to load for . suited my purposes better than the hornet

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 22 Dec 2019, 6:16 pm

Yes I too have the same preference when it comes to overall length. I much prefer a shorter length and better bullet grip with Lilgun and the 40 grain Vmax. Tiny groups out of my Blaser BD14.
I love the Hornet, super quiet and all the power I need for most small game.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 22 Dec 2019, 6:54 pm

9.3x64 wrote:Yes I too have the same preference when it comes to overall length. I much prefer a shorter length and better bullet grip with Lilgun and the 40 grain Vmax. Tiny groups out of my Blaser BD14.
I love the Hornet, super quiet and all the power I need for most small game.

it's a reloadable 22 mag , sort-a-kind-a ;) unfortunately , i don't have a fox or rabbit problem around SE queensland , for which the hornet is ideal . i have done the occaisional roo culling , under permit , and i find the 222 has more reach and power over the hornet , whilst not being anywhere near as loud as a 22-250 or even a 223 . lil' gun is the best powder for the hornet in my experience, and gave fantastic accuracy and speed in the 357 mag marlin too

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Leadspitter » 23 Dec 2019, 12:02 am

Bloody phone playing up

Just lost a post before i could submit.

Will use factory crimp die
The odd post sayin lil gun can be erratic puts me off it , even though majority reckon its the ducks guts.

Waitin for fires clear near silverdale so i can get out there to check my bedding job

Then into reloading in new year

Ho Ho Ho to everyone from Leadspitter
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Dec 2019, 6:56 am

Leadspitter wrote:Bloody phone playing up

Just lost a post before i could submit.

Will use factory crimp die
The odd post sayin lil gun can be erratic puts me off it , even though majority reckon its the ducks guts.

Waitin for fires clear near silverdale so i can get out there to check my bedding job

Then into reloading in new year

Ho Ho Ho to everyone from Leadspitter

a mild crimp did help me , but i had to come back on the powder charge slightly . very light crimp with 12.5 gn of lil gun with a 40 sierra hp , winchester small pistol primers with a COL of 1.720" worked well for me . one hole at 100 , time and time again . 40 vmax with no crimp and 12.8 gn worked as well COL of 1.835" .the vmax is a long projectile , magazine length plays a part with this load. check everything twice when you reload :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 23 Dec 2019, 7:37 am

I too use a mild crimp. I load 13.2 grains of Lilgun with a 40 grain Vmax and “long” drop tube. The little hornet can be a bit fiddly and I find I need an extra set of hands, so I use this setup just for the Hornet. It works perfectly and consistently.
Attachments
38F67817-56D3-43B1-95F8-1558BAF6E81A.jpeg
38F67817-56D3-43B1-95F8-1558BAF6E81A.jpeg (165.55 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition