Does anyone here use a wet tumbler ?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Does anyone here use a wet tumbler ?

Post by sungazer » 30 Dec 2019, 9:20 pm

Thing is you can see there is no one way of doing the process. I will admit I like Hornady One Shot. If you are going to use a expander in the neck it must be lubed or you are going to end up with stuck cases. Choices are wet several different products available or the dry lube. I go with the several stage cleaning process decap, clean, size, clean then powder and seat bullet. Using the wet tumbler about an hour the first time and 15-30 min the second. I have also used the ultrasonic for the second clean as it is just to remove oils.
I am sure of only one thing I know I will keep trying different processes and equipment as my reloading goals change.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Dec 2019, 9:26 pm

mchughcb wrote:I have found clean brass not to be grippy at all. I've loaded quite a lot of different rounds from 223 to 416 Rem. No problems at all except the Lapua 243 Win brass. All other calibres no problem and all other makes of brass.

Your brass must be an anomaly, the carbon left in the neck area acts as a lubricant and reduces neck tension. I would never shoot clean brass in competition without using some sort of lube when seating the bullet.

Can you not feel the difference when seating the projectile with clean brass? The effort required is more than double.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 30 Dec 2019, 10:55 pm

I haven't noticed in the seating. I noticed during FLS. Most of my bullets are boat tail they slip in easy but tight. Been a long time since I shot for precision competition so maybe it makes a difference but these days I'm happy with sub moa groups at 100m and its just a question of how fast i can knock them out.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Dec 2019, 6:35 am

What made you say you didn't find cleaned brass grippy at all? What did you notice during full lenght resizing? Are you using an expander ball during sizing? Did you find you needed extra effort if you used an expander ball with no lube?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 31 Dec 2019, 7:12 am

When the cases have been cleaned with plenty of detergent i don't get that horrible noise when im pulling the expander ball back through the next. I find little resistance and little noise. Almost on a par with putting graphite lube in there. If you want to spray one shot go for it as it can be washed out when you tumble the primer pockets.

Don't take my word for it try it yourself.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 31 Dec 2019, 7:38 am

Mate I have never experienced the grippy cases you mention with my regime. I decap and necksize using the one shot spray lube, then use a sonic cleaner which does a great job on the cases both inside and out, including the primer pocket. I even use the spray lube for full length sizing and it works fine. I know people will have a differing opinions on this, my old man is the first to disagree with me on this. Not sure what would be causing your grippy case issue mate, or if wet tumbling will solve it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Dec 2019, 8:55 am

I deprime then use ultrasonic 7 min they are done, blow compressed air. And then let rest overnight. I neck size without the expander ball.

If you are going to the trouble of wet tumbling, imho it's only worth it if the brass comes out shiny and doesn't lose it's shine by next day. And that's never just warm water or just soap.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by 8x57 » 31 Dec 2019, 9:06 am

I also use a wet tumbler, I like to resize and deprime before I clean them so the primer pocket gets a scrub out.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Dec 2019, 10:43 am

Thanks to you all for the input. I will process the info thoroughly when I get home in a few days
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 31 Dec 2019, 11:42 am

In anycase, wet tumbling gives a far superior clean both of the outside, the inside and primer pockets compared to the old vibrating corn husk setup. I won't be going back to the old method in a hurry.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by 8x57 » 31 Dec 2019, 12:25 pm

mchughcb wrote:In anycase, wet tumbling gives a far superior clean both of the outside, the inside and primer pockets compared to the old vibrating corn husk setup. I won't be going back to the old method in a hurry.

Spot on
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 31 Dec 2019, 1:56 pm

I would not mind this one should I hint to mrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cUHJ7z3ZGI&t=386s
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Dec 2019, 6:07 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate I have never experienced the grippy cases you mention with my regime. I decap and necksize using the one shot spray lube, then use a sonic cleaner which does a great job on the cases both inside and out, including the primer pocket. I even use the spray lube for full length sizing and it works fine. I know people will have a differing opinions on this, my old man is the first to disagree with me on this. Not sure what would be causing your grippy case issue mate, or if wet tumbling will solve it.

Physics don't just work in my shed, you increase the grip on the bullet when you have clean cases. Check point 3 in this article.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technic ... hing-size/
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 31 Dec 2019, 7:07 pm

I do.
I deprime and resize before cleaning.

If they are particularly grotty, I give it a couple of cycles (each 8 mins) in the US cleaner first (Supercheap Auto version). Using plain water with approx 3 level dessertspoons of citric acid added to 2.5Lt water (max marker on cleaner).

Take out and put straight into a 6Kg Lortone QT66 Tumbler barrel, put brass, stainless steel pins, to approx 2/3 full and 18g of MP103Tumble for 2hrs. I also have 2 X 3Kg barrels so I can do 2 sizes at once. Eg 9mm pistol and 40S&W pistol that slip together.

Drain and strain in an old bucket through a fine kitchen strainer, a plastic colander and an old blue singlet.
Pick out cases, shake out pins into strainer etc.

While still wet throw into vibratory tumbler (with crushed corn cob media, which I already had) for 2 hrs.

Fish the case out, (while wearing disposable nitrile gloves to stop finger prints) shake out media, throw into separate (by calibre) 4.5lt buckets with lid, to await reloading.

Depending on rifle/pistol either reload as per normal on the Dillon 650 or Square Deal. Note, including the resize stage as this clears out the media from the primer, pocket. This is the stage that I inspect the cases also.

I have never had an issue with "grippyness" that I have noticed.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 31 Dec 2019, 7:33 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
Physics don't just work in my shed, you increase the grip on the bullet when you have clean cases. Check point 3 in this article.

Not disputing the physics mate, just saying I haven’t experienced any issues. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 31 Dec 2019, 7:55 pm

SCJ429 wrote:

Just curious have you tried brand new brass and FLS without graphite before firing? If so was it still grippy?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Dec 2019, 9:13 pm

mchughcb wrote:

Just curious have you tried brand new brass and FLS without graphite before firing? If so was it still grippy?

Yes, brand new brass is super grippy. I have only bought new Lapua and Norma brass recently. It comes with excessive neck tension and you can relieve this by running it through a mandrel. I have to neck turn to get it to fit my chambers but I would not size the case, just fill the case and seat a bullet. I would use lube to seat the bullet, if you did not you would be able to feel that the amount of force needed to seat it would be excessive. Unless this amount is what you consider normal.

If your seating does not feel like you are pushing the bullet through butter and your groups are not good, you may be onto something.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Dec 2019, 9:19 pm

I always deprime before cleaning. Just makes sense to me. Other wise it an extra job later.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jan 2020, 4:13 pm

I got slack and did not read all these properly but decided today I might splash out and get a wet tumbler from LGS but they were just shutting shot when I called. Years ago I was prone to sticking a bit of brasso in my corn cob tumbler to give the media a bit more life. I made the mistake today of putting some toothpaste in my tumbler and all I did was add crud to my brass. Jaycar had an ultrasonic cleaner for about 80 and a heated version for about 180. Super cheap had a heated one for 108 with simple instructions. ... for cleaning brass they recommended I cup of water one cup of white vinegar and 4 teaspoons of dish washing detergent........ I’m impressed so far ..... after rinsing and washing and drying I will inspect and then reread your replies and decide if I still want to wet tumble I can see this ultrasonic gadget will also get used for other things that crop up besides cleaning ammo cases .... thanks for your input
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Potatoes » 04 Jan 2020, 4:41 pm

Blr243 wrote:I got slack and did not read all these properly but decided today I might splash out and get a wet tumbler from LGS but they were just shutting shot when I called. Years ago I was prone to sticking a bit of brasso in my corn cob tumbler to give the media a bit more life. I made the mistake today of putting some toothpaste in my tumbler and all I did was add crud to my brass. Jaycar had an ultrasonic cleaner for about 80 and a heated version for about 180. Super cheap had a heated one for 108 with simple instructions. ... for cleaning brass they recommended I cup of water one cup of white vinegar and 4 teaspoons of dish washing detergent........ I’m impressed so far ..... after rinsing and washing and drying I will inspect and then reread your replies and decide if I still want to wet tumble I can see this ultrasonic gadget will also get used for other things that crop up besides cleaning ammo cases .... thanks for your input

Ive read that using to much vinegar can damage the brass. Use sparingly.

Ive used it for cleaning fishing reel and bike parts as well. Ebay has ok cheap ones.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Jan 2020, 4:48 pm

Mate I use one part vinegar to three parts water and a squirt of detergent.
1:1 sounds a bit strong to me.
There is a thread on this exact topic somewhere on this forum. Make sure you rinse well mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jan 2020, 7:31 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I will just change the ratio back to a sensible ratio and then I can just drink the extra vinegar that I don’t use
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition