Does anyone here use a wet tumbler ?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Does anyone here use a wet tumbler ?

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jan 2020, 4:13 pm

I got slack and did not read all these properly but decided today I might splash out and get a wet tumbler from LGS but they were just shutting shot when I called. Years ago I was prone to sticking a bit of brasso in my corn cob tumbler to give the media a bit more life. I made the mistake today of putting some toothpaste in my tumbler and all I did was add crud to my brass. Jaycar had an ultrasonic cleaner for about 80 and a heated version for about 180. Super cheap had a heated one for 108 with simple instructions. ... for cleaning brass they recommended I cup of water one cup of white vinegar and 4 teaspoons of dish washing detergent........ I’m impressed so far ..... after rinsing and washing and drying I will inspect and then reread your replies and decide if I still want to wet tumble I can see this ultrasonic gadget will also get used for other things that crop up besides cleaning ammo cases .... thanks for your input
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Potatoes » 04 Jan 2020, 4:41 pm

Blr243 wrote:I got slack and did not read all these properly but decided today I might splash out and get a wet tumbler from LGS but they were just shutting shot when I called. Years ago I was prone to sticking a bit of brasso in my corn cob tumbler to give the media a bit more life. I made the mistake today of putting some toothpaste in my tumbler and all I did was add crud to my brass. Jaycar had an ultrasonic cleaner for about 80 and a heated version for about 180. Super cheap had a heated one for 108 with simple instructions. ... for cleaning brass they recommended I cup of water one cup of white vinegar and 4 teaspoons of dish washing detergent........ I’m impressed so far ..... after rinsing and washing and drying I will inspect and then reread your replies and decide if I still want to wet tumble I can see this ultrasonic gadget will also get used for other things that crop up besides cleaning ammo cases .... thanks for your input

Ive read that using to much vinegar can damage the brass. Use sparingly.

Ive used it for cleaning fishing reel and bike parts as well. Ebay has ok cheap ones.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Jan 2020, 4:48 pm

Mate I use one part vinegar to three parts water and a squirt of detergent.
1:1 sounds a bit strong to me.
There is a thread on this exact topic somewhere on this forum. Make sure you rinse well mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jan 2020, 7:31 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I will just change the ratio back to a sensible ratio and then I can just drink the extra vinegar that I don’t use
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition