Selling brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Selling brass

Post by CrackThump » 30 Dec 2019, 6:09 pm

So, umm.... Ive got a stinkload of once fired brass in a box taking up room in my "shootin' shed" and TBH I just cant be ferked reloading... my shooting volume just doesnt justify it.

heres the question(s)

is it worth selling by calibre to reloaders. ? a couple hundred cases here and there.? and where would you adverstise.

does one de-cap them and clean them first. ? (I really couldnt be bothered)

or should I just take them down to the scrap merchant and sell the weight. ? (do scrap metal yards take fired brass. ?)

Oi... and on a side note, is it ok to dump fired brass into the household rubbish. ? 12g empties take up a LOT of room and Ive been sending them to the wheelie bin, but;;; you'know.. officially its still "ammunition" in some sense of the word. Do the people at the recycling centres have a leftard anti-gun meltdown if they come across the remains of my last bunny hunting session in a trash bag. ?

Cheers for your input everyone.. and happy new year. :D
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Selling brass

Post by Stix » 30 Dec 2019, 6:42 pm

Yes crackthump...you should sell them to us guys...cheap...lol...

Try used guns...but then you have to pay for the advert...

I dont buy brass from the guys who ask stupid amounts for it--i know of one or 2 blokes that scrounge up anything & sell even run of the mill 223 243 309 etc for 50 cents a pop...just greedy fekers i rekon...

I cant see why scrap yards wouldne take brass or shotgun cases...if they're shot off they are nothing more than plastic & non-ferrous metal...no harm there...
And if there is a leftard munyak at the tip, id love to see them have a fit over nothing... :thumbsup:

Apparently you cant sell on here...but id work out what postage costs per 100 cases or so...put up a list of what you have, work out what you want for it (maybe based on the per kilo price you'd get for scrap)... & let people pm you who are interested...from there advertise on one of the used firearms web sites...

Dont bother decapping cleaning or sizing them...i payed good money for "once fired cases that were all cleaned & FL sized with primer pockets supposedly reamed---i got ripped BADLY...so i wont buy cleamed brass anymore...
The chances are, that the reloader who buys them will clean them anyway, so selling them as is you can see the cases not prettied up.

For what its worth...im in need of some reasonable 22-250 cases..., :)

Put up a list of what you have mate & people can PM you...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 30 Dec 2019, 6:49 pm

What have you got for sale mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Dec 2019, 6:51 pm

It is worth selling your cases as is, shooters will pay a heap more than you will get in scrap value. What calibers have you got? Unusual ones could be worth quite a bit. 223 and 308 are fairly common but still worth selling.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 30 Dec 2019, 7:13 pm

I have a few hundred at least once fired brass in.243 win I will never use.A few of the blokes I shoot with have bought ammunition over the years and gave me there empties.I could batch to brand if needed.I am going to go count now
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by CrackThump » 30 Dec 2019, 7:16 pm

good to know theres interest from other users. :)

at the moment Ive got a couple hundred each of .223rem, .38sp .357mag and 9mm luger

as well as way to many .22LR,, but I reckon theyre going in a bag to the scrap man lol
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 30 Dec 2019, 7:23 pm

duncan61 wrote:I have a few hundred at least once fired brass in.243 win I will never use.A few of the blokes I shoot with have bought ammunition over the years and gave me there empties.I could batch to brand if needed.I am going to go count now

Yes...seperate them into brand...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by CrackThump » 30 Dec 2019, 7:40 pm

[quote="Stix"} Yes...seperate them into brand...!![/quote]

WHAAAAATTTTTTT.???????

awww man....!!!
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 30 Dec 2019, 8:00 pm

l sell cases

a hint, scrap is about $7 per kilo but must be in kilo lots and in see through bags so they can see no live ones and sort into brands and calibers ect...
apparently face ache has a part you can sell the cases from :unknown:
Last edited by marksman on 30 Dec 2019, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 30 Dec 2019, 8:01 pm

Well you dont have to...but you'll get a better price & sell them much quicker if you do...

You wont get a keen shooter buying 50 mixed cases...thats for the guys with access to those magic rifles that shoot one hole at 300 with any brass powder, powder charge, & bullet combo, at any time of the year in any conditions......

people will want to batch their brass into brand & weight...

Up to you though...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 30 Dec 2019, 8:14 pm

.243 cases.jpg
.243 cases.jpg (338.33 KiB) Viewed 3707 times
The smaller container is PPU or the crylic markings NNY and there is 80 and the other is Winchester and there is 118 some are very dirty so I could take them out the batch.If you PM me I will post them to you
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 30 Dec 2019, 8:17 pm

I had one sako and a few other brands like WW I have no idea where they came from but I am polishing them now with the intention of making sub rounds with trailboss if I ever get $150 to spare on a hobby
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 30 Dec 2019, 9:12 pm

The .357" cases are worth more than the .38", more scarce and for my purposes pistol cal headstamps not so important as with rifle cases, I load mixed .357" 0.5gn under max [with AR2205] and never any issues so far.
Shooting out of a modern production Win '92 action which gives a fair margin of safety as regards case capacity variation.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 04 Jan 2020, 3:24 pm

True love = sitting down at the table with over 1000 rounds of spent bras to sort into caliber and brand.. and dearly beloved says "that looks like fun, can I help. ??" :friends:

This still isnt a for sale ad, because nothing is bagged and tagged, but I was wondering......

Would people pay 25c each for .223 and 20c each for common pistol calibres 38 sp, 357 and 9mm POSTAGE INCLUDED..

Australia Post has got a set price satchel for like $8 or $9 so Im essentially selling the brass for $10 and $15 per 100 respectively after postage costs deducted. but hey, its a subsidy towards my ammo costs lol...

or based on my prices, would people be thinking "Nyeh, Imma just go buy new brass."

Cheers everyone, and happy 2020
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jan 2020, 4:04 pm

I already have enough of everything you mentioned but thanks for posting anyway someone is bound to pic up on it. I much prefer to see it go to a shooter than a scrap merchant. The case lives on to fight another day ... one of your 357 cases might get taken into the bush and shoot a real nice boar. And the ejected case may be found in the dirt by another shooter in two years time and the process repeated again But if you just sell it to those scrap yard it might just end up being turned into a plumbing fitting and that’s not a very exciting life for a piece of brass
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by brewskiboy » 21 Jun 2020, 11:09 pm

duncan61 wrote:I have a few hundred at least once fired brass in.243 win I will never use.A few of the blokes I shoot with have bought ammunition over the years and gave me there empties.I could batch to brand if needed.I am going to go count now

Hey duncan61, did anyone take these? I'm looking for .243 if you still have some...
brewskiboy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition