Checking bullet seating depth with an epoxy cheat

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Checking bullet seating depth with an epoxy cheat

Post by Potatoes » 17 Jan 2020, 8:18 pm

I think i might have figured a trick that may save time and make reproducable results. Apologies if this isnt an original idea but i havent seen it posted anywhere before.

Ive watched a few youtube videos on checking what the theoretical maximum overall case length is by 3 methods;

1. Placing a projectile down in throat and measurind the distance from the crown to the tip, and then from the crown to the bolt face using a cleaning rod. The difference is the maximum cartridge overall length. I didnt like this method because my soft point projectiles usually have different base to tip lengths.
2. Using another expensive gauge. I’m saving for a 308.
3. Coating a projectile with permanent marker, placing in a case with the neck dented in a little, and then chambering the round. Basically where the case is scratches off the marker is the maximum length.

I found 3 the easiest, but found the results varied a bit. The projectile sometimes moves a bit when placing in the calipers. Building off that simple trick though, i figured instead of denting the case and using a marker, i would use a loosely neck sized case and add a small amount of 5 min epoxy well inside the neck and then chamber it with a projectile. So far,so good, as i haven’t glued a round into the rifle. Now i have dummy round which to use as my reference. If its done right, the projectile acts as a plunger on the epoxy, and there should be zero leakage. If the case neck is too tight though, the projectile will be forced into the lands too much to get an accurate set.

I’ve always found setting the seating depth on the seating die a PIA, so i’ve taken the dummy round and just screwed the adjustment until tip of the bullet is engaged with the die (i use basic lee dies). Next i epoxyed another projectile into a different case and then worked the die down to my nominal 20 thou jump.

Now whenever i want to make my usual load with the 20 thou jump, i can just put the second dummy round in the die and adjust the bullet seating mechanism down to that. :thumbsup:
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Checking bullet seating depth with an epoxy cheat

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Jan 2020, 7:41 pm

Aha! By "crown", you mean muzzle. :thumbsup: Please pardon my brain which is not working owing to the consumption of alcohol.
No.1 is my favourite method. Yes, bullets vary in length but if you make 20 rounds and adjust to clear the lands with the longest round, then you should be OK.
No. 3 has never worked for me because I could never get the neck tension right: too much: too little :(
BUT
Whatever works for you mate :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by marksman » 18 Jan 2020, 9:39 pm

as Wm.Traynor said "Whatever works for you mate :thumbsup:"

but like him l use #1 method
l will donate that bullet for the dummy round l will make with it for future reference and it is measured off the ogive so you dont have problems with a varying point
l also measure base to ogive for a reference when l sort bullets to size, if the new box varies to much in shape l will start again
:drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 19 Jan 2020, 9:27 am

I use method 3. Seat the projectile a bit long then just edge it in bit by bit until it is not touching lands. Prob not as accurate the other more technical methods but it seems to work ok for me. Accuracy pretty good with my reloads.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Jan 2020, 12:43 pm

I use #3 too, but getting the neck tension just right so that it holds the proj without backing out or moving can be a bit fiddly.

thanks for the tip about the 5 minute epoxy Potatoes, I'm going to use that
Member-Deleted

Return to Reloading ammunition