OCW test .222

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: OCW test .222

Post by Am88 » 27 Jan 2020, 8:26 am

Yes more to come Stix. Not sure what but :lol: for one I think I will do some tests with 18.3, 18.5 and 18.7, and I would like to play with lengths on the 20.7 maybe.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Jan 2020, 10:32 am

lmho Am88 you can get some benefit from playing with seating depths but its not enough to make a worth while change
you will find the charge weight and volume changes are doing the same already just a different way
but if you want to be sure there nothing wrong with having a crack, its all more shooting :thumbsup:

the rifle is looking very good :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 27 Jan 2020, 1:25 pm

MM I thought the seating depth was his whole point of the OBT method? I'm not too sure how much difference it makes never played much. And sorry Stix they are one inch squares.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Jan 2020, 2:23 pm

what l have found is that using seating depth to fine tune after an OCW test does give you results when tested at longer distances eg... 300y
but l have always found that when l find my sweet spot from the OCW that is as good as it will be consistently
the extra seating depth tests are just fine tuning and you will see the differences at long range only

l have looked into OBT through Chris Longs web site and use quite a bit of his knowledge, he is a very intelligent, helpful and kind man but my figures have never been the same as his, l am not saying his figures are wrong just different
once l find the sweet spot in my rifle and use the barrel time numbers l find into quickload with different components and rifle with same barrel length it is the sweet spot, it works every time without real world OCW testing
to be able to do this though you have to know how to use and tweak quickload as Chris Long explains on his web site

there are a few things that can change things that have to be considered eg.. being a loose bore or a tight bore
l hope you understand what l'm trying to say :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 28 Jan 2020, 8:50 am

Yeah ok MM fair enough I think I understand, at the end of the day I guess as well, I know the capabilities and this will by no means be a long range rifle, most shots will most likely be inside 200m with the majority being 50 to 100m I would say, sometimes even less. I would like to do a few more loads up at 20.7 and 20.9 and NOT forget my sandbags and hopefully Ill have a better result, I am yet to load 18.3, 18.5 and 18.7 yet, I don't mind having 2 different loads as these seem like thay are all going to have a very similar POI and keeping the hotter loads for the intended purpose.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Jan 2020, 5:53 pm

marksman wrote:what l have found is that using seating depth to fine tune after an OCW test does give you results when tested at longer distances eg... 300y
but l have always found that when l find my sweet spot from the OCW that is as good as it will be consistently
the extra seating depth tests are just fine tuning and you will see the differences at long range only

l have looked into OBT through Chris Longs web site and use quite a bit of his knowledge, he is a very intelligent, helpful and kind man but my figures have never been the same as his, l am not saying his figures are wrong just different
once l find the sweet spot in my rifle and use the barrel time numbers l find into quickload with different components and rifle with same barrel length it is the sweet spot, it works every time without real world OCW testing
to be able to do this though you have to know how to use and tweak quickload as Chris Long explains on his web site

there are a few things that can change things that have to be considered eg.. being a loose bore or a tight bore
l hope you understand what l'm trying to say :drinks:

What do the values under nodes 1 to 7 mean? They have a range of values something like 0.7856 to 1.0365, I cannot see what they mean.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition