Outer Edge projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Outer Edge projectiles

Post by Am88 » 04 Feb 2020, 3:07 pm

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with these? They are a premium bullet. I just a rather nice conversation with the owner/maker whatever and he seemed to really know his stuff. Thinking of trying some in .308 and .222.

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Outer Edge projectiles

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Feb 2020, 6:15 pm

It is good to support a local bullet maker, what are you going to use them for?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 04 Feb 2020, 7:25 pm

I tried some for the 243 and the 6.5 and they shot like s**t they were a total bust. I loaded them as per the manufactures instructions which were very hot but I gave them a go anyway at that recommendation no good.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2020, 7:37 pm

Am88 wrote:Wondering if anyone has had any experience with these? They are a premium bullet. I just a rather nice conversation with the owner/maker whatever and he seemed to really know his stuff. Thinking of trying some in .308 and .222.

Cheers

Unless you have an aftermarket barrel I can't see anything there that will shoot in a .222Rem 14"-twist barrel.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 04 Feb 2020, 10:10 pm

Hmmm well I managed to speak to him on the phone and he was quite helpful. Blade racer he reccomended the 36gr in .224, it would be a general hunting bullet. It's the main rifle I have with me most times, cats, dogs, dog meat, he also said that head shooting deer would not be an issue. The load data he provides suggests 3600 FPS roughly with the 36gr bullets with 2207.

Sungazer that's not a good result nor good news, bugger.

SCJ I was mainly looking at .308 bullets and just happened to start discussing the different methods used on Chital up here using the .222 ie. Head shooting, hence he brought up the 36grs. But the .308 will be used for Chital as well. More so the larger models, and sambar when I travel to VIC later this year. He recommended the 140's would be all necessary. It's more of a curiosity as my local shop had a box of 7mm bullets there today and they looked pretty wicked. I'm always up for supporting someone trying something.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Feb 2020, 2:03 am

Am88 wrote:Hmmm well I managed to speak to him on the phone and he was quite helpful. Blade racer he reccomended the 36gr in .224, it would be a general hunting bullet. It's the main rifle I have with me most times, cats, dogs, dog meat, he also said that head shooting deer would not be an issue. The load data he provides suggests 3600 FPS roughly with the 36gr bullets with 2207.

Sungazer that's not a good result nor good news, bugger.

SCJ I was mainly looking at .308 bullets and just happened to start discussing the different methods used on Chital up here using the .222 ie. Head shooting, hence he brought up the 36grs. But the .308 will be used for Chital as well. More so the larger models, and sambar when I travel to VIC later this year. He recommended the 140's would be all necessary. It's more of a curiosity as my local shop had a box of 7mm bullets there today and they looked pretty wicked. I'm always up for supporting someone trying something.

The 36gn is the only bullet they list that might work, but they specify 12"-twist for it. Bullet length is what dictates stability, not its weight. Monolithic bullets are machined from metals that are significantly lighter than lead, thus they are significantly longer for the same weight. Does your rifle shoot 52gn or 55gn jacketed bullets okay?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 05 Feb 2020, 7:37 am

Hey bladeracer i haven't personally tried it but the gentleman I bought the rifle off gave me his load data as well, his father was shooting the 55gr Sierra game king #1365 in front of 23grs of 2206H and he sent photos of the testing. Shot extremely well.

I'm more so concerned about the 30 cal. I have seen some info regarding Barnes TSX and TTSX which is why I was looking for something else. They were talking about expansion issues the exit wound not creating large enough exit wound channel.

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 05 Feb 2020, 7:51 pm

Handload Speer 30 cal bullets.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tank » 08 Feb 2020, 10:18 am

Am88 wrote:Hey bladeracer i haven't personally tried it but the gentleman I bought the rifle off gave me his load data as well, his father was shooting the 55gr Sierra game king #1365 in front of 23grs of 2206H and he sent photos of the testing. Shot extremely well.

I'm more so concerned about the 30 cal. I have seen some info regarding Barnes TSX and TTSX which is why I was looking for something else. They were talking about expansion issues the exit wound not creating large enough exit wound channel.

Cheers

TSX/TTSX performance problems? Really?

+1 In2anity.

Google Terninal Ballistics .308 article.

Shiny new things are cool but in the calibres your talking there’s recipes that will get the job done without outlaying big dollars on exotic monoliths....
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Am88 » 20 Feb 2020, 9:21 pm

I agree fully about shiny new things mate, I just like to play around is all, old mate at the gun shop gave me a box of 50 a bit cheaper to try out to try get the name out, not good news so far, tried four today in the middle of Thier reloading range just as a start, Thier data sais not to adjust seating depth from what they supply, and supplied the best powder and min max charges, with 43.5gr of 2206H I got a respectable.......... 2" group at 100m :lol: with slight flattening of primers, not a good start.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 15 Mar 2020, 6:41 pm

Im doing testing with the Outer edge projectiles atm and the signs are very promising, stil finding whats safe in terms of max loads as they are lighter weight of all coppper versus cup n core isnt covered by any available reloading data.

My 6.5 Grendel didnt show much potential with 100gr TTSX because they have to be seated so deeply. In my opinion the OEP have a much better designed ogive for the Grendel. BC for the OEP s**ts all over the Barnes being almost 0.1 higher for simialr weight. Testing to date has also show accuracy to atleast 30-50% better than TTSX's.

Hoping to find max loads this week out of my 20 inch Howa Mini, I had zero pressure signs pushing 103 gr OEP HP to 2800fps and 113gr OEP BBT (BC 0.475) to 2600fps, I'm hoping I can push these to around 2700fps which should be a very handy Fallow load out to 500m. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Mar 2020, 6:36 am

Bill wrote:Im doing testing with the Outer edge projectiles atm and the signs are very promising, stil finding whats safe in terms of max loads as they are lighter weight of all coppper versus cup n core isnt covered by any available reloading data.

My 6.5 Grendel didnt show much potential with 100gr TTSX because they have to be seated so deeply. In my opinion the OEP have a much better designed ogive for the Grendel. BC for the OEP s**ts all over the Barnes being almost 0.1 higher for simialr weight. Testing to date has also show accuracy to atleast 30-50% better than TTSX's.

Hoping to find max loads this week out of my 20 inch Howa Mini, I had zero pressure signs pushing 103 gr OEP HP to 2800fps and 113gr OEP BBT (BC 0.475) to 2600fps, I'm hoping I can push these to around 2700fps which should be a very handy Fallow load out to 500m. :drinks:

Are there better options out there for 500 metre shots on deer than the Grendel?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 16 Mar 2020, 8:37 am

I have not done anymore testing as of yet, will load a few more up and hopefully get something happening this weekend as Id at least like to get these things to shoot, its going to come down to powder charge as the loading manual sais not to adjust the seating depth so yeah will try again with some a little hotter and colder
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 16 Mar 2020, 9:06 am

SCJ429 nuthing wrong with developing a load combo even if the last 100m of usable range is not likely to be used.

The rifle is a 0.5 moa capable off a bipod and hits 400m gongs with ridiculous ease, it also produces more than enough energy for the projectile to expand beyond 500m, whats the problem :drinks:

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Mar 2020, 6:11 pm

I have a 7mm BR Norma hunting rifle which would have similar ballistics to a Grendel. I would not shoot medium sized game at ranges longer than 200 metres with it. Neither of these cases have a lot of horsepower.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 17 Mar 2020, 6:56 pm

Fair enough SCJ429, everyone has their limitations. The 6.5 Grendel with the 113gr BBT produces enough energy at 400m under various state guidelines for fallow. The BBT projectile still expands down to 1800fps.

Ive had no trouble running the 113gr BBT (BC 0.475) to 2630fps out of the 20 inch tube with 8208, powder is just too slow, heaps of compression, Zero pressure signs so Ill be testing with faster powder. Hoping to bump speed up to 2700-2750. :thumbsup:

No idea on 7mm BR high BC or energy levels at any ranges.

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 17 Mar 2020, 7:32 pm

Hey SCJ429 what sort of pill and speed are you getting out of the 7mm BR ?? not alot of stuff online regarding lighter High BC projectiles apart from the bread and butter 120gr stuff.

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Mar 2020, 8:35 pm

I run 110s at a little under 2800 fps, the rifle shoots one inch at 300 metres. It has done well on pigs and goats for me. Hits pretty hard for what it is but for longer range stuff I would move up to a Rem Mag or a WSM. Big chance of something running off on you if your shot goes a little wrong with smaller cases.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by LJC » 27 Jun 2021, 6:49 pm

Any recent updates on the OEP range?
LJC
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition