Primers sticking out

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Primers sticking out

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 10 Feb 2020, 4:25 pm

Hmm potatoes, mate i bought a few boxes of the 60gr tap in 223 (i just rechecked to confirm) from shop. And mine has crimped primer pockets. If the pockets are crimped that would explain why its very hard to seat primers, why primers might be seating out and that will increase case length.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Potatoes » 10 Feb 2020, 7:38 pm

Ziad wrote:Hmm potatoes, mate i bought a few boxes of the 60gr tap in 223 (i just rechecked to confirm) from shop. And mine has crimped primer pockets. If the pockets are crimped that would explain why its very hard to seat primers, why primers might be seating out and that will increase case length.

Hey Ziad, after looking at a stack of pics of crimped primers from the web i think you might be right. Here’s a pick of mine

6BB32345-107A-4240-96CF-D40B8D33E2DD.jpeg
223 tap with 60gr vmax
6BB32345-107A-4240-96CF-D40B8D33E2DD.jpeg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1696 times
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 10 Feb 2020, 8:34 pm

Easiest to tell is deprime one and run a pin on the walls. Try to use a case debur tool on the picket on one and try and seat a primer
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Potatoes » 10 Feb 2020, 9:01 pm

Yeah the deburer did the trick some time ago after the primers were catching the edge. Primers go in ok now, just stick out a tiny bit on the majority of them.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 10 Feb 2020, 9:31 pm

Potatoes wrote:Yeah the deburer did the trick some time ago after the primers were catching the edge. Primers go in ok now, just stick out a tiny bit on the majority of them.

Treat yourself to a satchel of say, ADI brass. I bet your problems go away.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2020, 9:33 pm

Potatoes wrote:[quote="Ziad"Hmm potatoes, mate i bought a few boxes of the 60gr tap in 223 (i just rechecked to confirm) from shop. And mine has crimped primer pockets. If the pockets are crimped that would explain why its very hard to seat primers, why primers might be seating out and that will increase case length.[/quote

Hey Ziad, after looking at a stack of pics of crimped primers from the web i think you might be right. Here’s a pick of mine

6BB32345-107A-4240-96CF-D40B8D33E2DD.jpeg

Yep, crimped primers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 10 Feb 2020, 9:52 pm

in2anity wrote:
Treat yourself to a satchel of say, ADI brass. I bet your problems go away.

Couldn’t agree more mate. Reasonably priced and works.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 11 Feb 2020, 1:04 am

That sure as heck looks like crimped brass to me. If it's the TAP rounds, those are used in law enforcement and perhaps military applications and often rounds that will be fired full auto will have crimped primer pockets.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition