Loading in NQ, shooting in VIC

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Loading in NQ, shooting in VIC

Post by Am88 » 18 Feb 2020, 9:46 am

If people could provide with experiences they have, they only info I seem to be able to find, is people loading in summer or winter and then shooting in the opposite season in Thier living location.

But I'm wondering on powders from going where I live in Townsville, and for argument sake I will keep the seasons the same so say July, and shooting in the high country in Victoria. Where I live the average humidity in July is average of 63 or percent, humidity in the area hunted seems about the same but a huge change in temperature.

What is the biggest factor, temperature or humidity? May seem like a dumb question but I've never had to deal with anything like this so I honestly do not know. I go in July, so how would I go about load development, if I find a good load know with the bullets I'll be using, when it's colder or closer would I try again with less or more powder?

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Loading in NQ, shooting in VIC

Post by marksman » 18 Feb 2020, 11:47 am

ADI powders are pretty temp tolerant, l do my reloading year round but testing usually in the cooler months and before any heat or humidity,
l'm usually finished testing by 9.30 am no wind and no heat
l have done the opposite by shooting reds and pigs in beautiful one day and perfect the next with no change in POl using ADI powder but l cannot say what it would be like doing the opposite :unknown:
l am sure you would be ok for safety but l would check your POl before hunting
time for a sambar Am88 :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Feb 2020, 11:48 am

Humidity.
Mate of mine was living in Townsville, loaded up a bunch of ammo at home then travelled to Victoria in July for a National Title shoot. Had a bunch of fail-to fires. When we pulled the bullets, the powder had failed to ignite and came out in what definitely felt like moist lumps. ( ADI 2205 ) Don't know if it was the primers or powder that was worse affected but nothing went bang like it should have. Even when they did fire the shots were not where they should have been. This bloke is one of the best shooters in our sport in the country, so when he tells me, his spotter, that the shots aren't landing where they should be, I believe him.
Perhaps 28 - 30 + degrees and 70% + humidity while loading in Townsville, single digit overnight temps in Victoria, condensation was what we came up with.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 18 Feb 2020, 1:34 pm

I'll have access to a farm in Ballan and another in Bacchus Marsh to check zero and do a bit of hunting, may even get lucky as one backs onto a state forest, but that's not the experience I want. Not good news about the condensation, not an experience I would want
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 18 Feb 2020, 7:13 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Humidity.
Mate of mine was living in Townsville, loaded up a bunch of ammo at home then travelled to Victoria in July for a National Title shoot. Had a bunch of fail-to fires. When we pulled the bullets, the powder had failed to ignite and came out in what definitely felt like moist lumps. ( ADI 2205 ) Don't know if it was the primers or powder that was worse affected but nothing went bang like it should have. Even when they did fire the shots were not where they should have been. This bloke is one of the best shooters in our sport in the country, so when he tells me, his spotter, that the shots aren't landing where they should be, I believe him.
Perhaps 28 - 30 + degrees and 70% + humidity while loading in Townsville, single digit overnight temps in Victoria, condensation was what we came up with.

How many years ago was this mate? I have not heard of this kind of thing happening in a long time.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Feb 2020, 7:19 pm

I change my load from summer to winter, I find where the node starts and ends, say it starts at 45.1 and ends at 45.6. In winter I will load 45.5 or 45.6 and in summer I will back it off to 45.1 or 45.2 which should keep me in the same speed range.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 18 Feb 2020, 7:29 pm

Im brisbane based i try to load my rounds in winter due to the horrid humidity and 40° heat have had issues with humidity causing missfires with primers. Since making the switch i havent had any issues at all.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 18 Feb 2020, 9:32 pm

So there appears to be some merrit to the idea then, example today was 78 or something percent humidity, finding the node makes sense SCJ, I guess I could load a couple of different rounds to take and try when I go
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Feb 2020, 12:32 pm

How many years ago? 5 or 6, point was that it was with ADI powder, 20grains of 2205 to be exact. The rounds we pulled were damp inside and no, they hadn't gotten wet.
Those that did fire were erratic to say the least.
Can you load in a climate controlled environment? Perhaps cooler and low humidity, I dunno, maybe in an air-conditioned room? :unknown:
When they say that ADI powders aren't temperature sensitive, it is in relation to varying external temperatures on a given load.
What I am relating to is the O.P's question about anyone having actual experience with loading ammo under certain conditions and shooting in totally different conditions. The above is my personal experience, yours of course,may vary.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by FNQ » 19 Feb 2020, 4:06 pm

Side point.
I think Highland / Armscor are made in the Phillipines?
That’s hot & humid and they don’t seem to fail.
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 19 Feb 2020, 9:58 pm

I can load in air conditioning yes, ammo is stored in garage which although gets hot as the day goes on its still under an insulated roof so it's not too bad heat wise, I have never had any dramas with any of my rifles rusting, other then a couple of light surface marks on my shotgun during the floods we had here when everything went moldy.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 20 Feb 2020, 1:51 am

I shoot my reloads in temps anywhere from -20C to 35C and never had any problems. There are some temp variations you can get into where loads that run at max in the winter will be over the max in the summer but I rarely load towards max velocity or pressure anyways. Due to the mountainous terrain I live in I'd be hard pressed to find a way to shoot over 300 metres. I don't do any bench rest shooting so perhaps I would see some differences if I did but right now if it center punches the steel gong at 100 I'm pretty happy.

As talked about in another thread you probably don't want to expose any powder to too much humidity, so get a dehumifier going even if you have AC.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Am88 » 20 Feb 2020, 7:30 am

No worries I think it will be fine then, most likely over thinking it as usual, I just want to take all variables out, would hate to have my first Sambar lined up and it shoots like crap, will definataly check zero when arrive.

It only for me this morning think as the men I'll be with load as they need to when going and check zero.

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Feb 2020, 7:33 am

l'm pretty sure that to have wet powder in a fail to fire case from humidity is an extreme :unknown:

humidity or dryness will effect burn rate as written better than l can explain in this artical
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... d-to-know/
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 20 Feb 2020, 7:32 pm

Gamerancher wrote:How many years ago? 5 or 6, point was that it was with ADI powder, 20grains of 2205 to be exact. The rounds we pulled were damp inside and no, they hadn't gotten wet.
Those that did fire were erratic to say the least.
Can you load in a climate controlled environment? Perhaps cooler and low humidity, I dunno, maybe in an air-conditioned room? :unknown:
When they say that ADI powders aren't temperature sensitive, it is in relation to varying external temperatures on a given load.
What I am relating to is the O.P's question about anyone having actual experience with loading ammo under certain conditions and shooting in totally different conditions. The above is my personal experience, yours of course,may vary.

Not doubting you at all. Just seemed unusual. I have never heard of that happening, and have never read any warning on the subject in handloading writings either. I have used ADI powders for more than 30 years, and have used tins of powder that have been stored for years. Done my share of loading in hot and wet weather too.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition