No more Winchester ball powder???

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

No more Winchester ball powder???

Post by GQshayne » 01 Mar 2020, 7:11 pm

I read a comment in Sporting Shooter from Nick Harvey that said that the importer will no longer be bringing in W760. So I am assuming that will mean that Winchester is not going to sell the range of ball powders any more.

Bummer if it is correct.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: No more Winchester ball powder???

Post by JimTom » 01 Mar 2020, 7:20 pm

So no more Winchester powder period or just no more W760?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 01 Mar 2020, 7:20 pm

On the money Olin the company that was manufacturing Winchester in Australia have withdrawn from the market.

The powder was imported not a huge supprise as the quality of the products they made here was horrid.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 01 Mar 2020, 7:31 pm

I have a bit of W748 on hand but may have to get some W296 if that is the case.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 01 Mar 2020, 8:34 pm

Ive heard around the traps Winnie powders are no more in oz
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 01 Mar 2020, 8:54 pm

heard similar things and that they are only concentrating on loaded ammo.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 03 Mar 2020, 6:36 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:On the money Olin the company that was manufacturing Winchester in Australia have withdrawn from the market.

The powder was imported not a huge surprise as the quality of the products they made here was horrid.

My experience is that Winchester products are no more horrid than some other brands over recent years.
I am not sure whether they used ball powders to any great extent in centerfire ammunition manufactured in Australia. It would have made business sense to use ADI.
I haven't used ball powders for many years. In my applications their disadvantages often outweighed their advantages.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 03 Mar 2020, 7:15 pm

I have JUST started using Win ball powder for the first time. I have W760 to use in my .17 Rem. It is a good powder for the calibre and it meters and flows well in the small case.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 03 Mar 2020, 8:29 pm

GQshayne wrote:I have JUST started using Win ball powder for the first time. I have W760 to use in my .17 Rem. It is a good powder for the calibre and it meters and flows well in the small case.

In some cartridges they can work great - ignore the haters. It really depends on your exact use-case.

Just ask your LGS about supply - 6 months ago I was told by a couple of LGSs that Winchester were no longer importing Winchester powders. Dunno how much truth there was to it.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 04 Mar 2020, 6:17 pm

I will just have to find a substitute when the time comes.

Hodgdon CFE223 gets good reports in the .17 Rem, but hard to get too, at least when I tried. "W760 is easy to get"
I thought to myself, "I'll use that instead". :(
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rustypic » 04 Apr 2020, 3:57 pm

Hi guys, that's right no more Winchester OR Hodgdon powder. Here is the reply I got from Winchester Aus-

"Hi Russ,
Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately with the ever rising price of powder and the associated logistical costs, we have been left with no choice but to cease importing Winchester and Hodgdon powder.
We will continue to supply ADI powder nationally and we are committed to finding a solution, however in the meantime this will cease.
For load data, comparisons and equivalents of powder available, please see the links below.
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/powder-equivalents/
Thank you for supporting Winchester Australia.
Kind Regards,"

If you are keen on Ball Powders, as I am, I have done a bit of research and Alliant and Accurate Arms make some BP's but I am not sure on their availability !
I wondered why the ball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

22 Win LA
22 Brno Fox K-Hornet
243 Win 70 Featherweight
308 Savage 10/110 Trophy Hunter
Couple of Shotties but miss my 5 shot semi auto :(
rustypic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 04 Apr 2020, 7:32 pm

No more Hodgdon either!!!! Poo! :(
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 04 Apr 2020, 8:29 pm

Thanks rustypic :thumbsup: it’s wise to move to ADI sooner rather than later. I’m yet to come across a load I can’t replicate with ADI - sure you might need to work a little harder, but the nodes are there to be found.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 11 Apr 2020, 7:36 pm

in2anity wrote:Thanks rustypic :thumbsup: it’s wise to move to ADI sooner rather than later. I’m yet to come across a load I can’t replicate with ADI - sure you might need to work a little harder, but the nodes are there to be found.

I have always used Mulwex, er I mean ADI, but the .17 case is very small and the ball powder flows nicely. That is why I got it. AR2208 is very popular in the .17REM.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by John » 11 Apr 2020, 8:17 pm

I see a lot of Winchester haters out there I’ve used 760 for year in a few of my firearms and absolutely love it works great Burns clean tight groups compared to ADI 2208 and 2209 I will be sorry to see it go.
Guess it’s back to the drawing board and working up some loads.
I might on to it now while I’m sitting around board waiting for this virus to piss off
I’m a fan of ball powders anyone got any they recommend in a burn rate similar to win760 I’d like to hear your thoughts.
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by John » 11 Apr 2020, 8:17 pm

I see a lot of Winchester haters out there I’ve used 760 for year in a few of my firearms and absolutely love it works great Burns clean tight groups compared to ADI 2208 and 2209 I will be sorry to see it go.
Guess it’s back to the drawing board and working up some loads.
I might on to it now while I’m sitting around board waiting for this virus to piss off
I’m a fan of ball powders anyone got any they recommend in a burn rate similar to win760 I’d like to hear your thoughts.
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rustypic » 11 Apr 2020, 9:02 pm

Hey John,
I have been doing a bit of research and Accurate and Alliant Powders make some ball powders with some having good reports, however I am not sure if they are readily available in Aus. Accurate has 1680, 2200, 2230, 2460, 2520, 2700, Magpro, 4100, Ramshot Tac, Big Game, Hunter, Magnum and Enforcer all ball powders. Alliant Powders have Power Pro 1200-R, 2000-MR, 4000-MR, Varmint and 300-MP. I reckon I might give a couple a try if I can get them.

22 Win LA
22 Brno Fox K-Hornet
243 Win 70 Featherweight
rustypic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 12 Apr 2020, 6:14 pm

My father has always used W760 in his.222, and it shoots very well. My .17REM overlapped holes in the target when I tested it, so it certainly works in those cases. And it runs through the powder thrower nicely, and flows into small case necks well too.

Maybe a bot of research will be needed before I got to 2208. There might be another option.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by snag » 12 Apr 2020, 7:19 pm

I don't know how 2208 would go as a substitute for Win 760 in the smaller calibres, but I have found it to be a good replacement in military calibres ( 303, 308, 6.5x55,6.5 carcano). Can't get it to work in 7.5 x 54 MAS, but that's a fussy bugger at the best of times. Which is good for me as a have 2 full bottles of 760 left and nothing else gives the same accuracy with 87 grain projectiles in my .25-06.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by John » 13 Apr 2020, 7:53 pm

Thanks rustypic I will check them out see if any shops locally have any of them. But don’t like my chances most shops stock what they seem to like or what they get cheap and not what the shopper wants in my area but hopefully they will have at least one of them I can at least try I’ve got plenty for now so I’ve got time to work out loads for new powder see how they compare never know might find a better option than 760 loads I’ve worked up to where there spot on
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 13 Apr 2020, 8:04 pm

snag wrote:I don't know how 2208 would go as a substitute for Win 760 in the smaller calibres, but I have found it to be a good replacement in military calibres ( 303, 308, 6.5x55,6.5 carcano). Can't get it to work in 7.5 x 54 MAS, but that's a fussy bugger at the best of times. Which is good for me as a have 2 full bottles of 760 left and nothing else gives the same accuracy with 87 grain projectiles in my .25-06.

2208 is used by lots of .17Rem owners. Could be the highest percentage too, from my reading on .17 handloading.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rustypic » 13 Apr 2020, 9:27 pm

I think we will find that stores may take some on when they run out of Winchester and Hodgdon. I have found some places stock some of the Alliant powders. Apparently their Power Pro 300-MP is good in the 22 K-Hornet, my fav, so I will be getting some, also their PP 2000-MR works in the 243 and 308 and PP Varmint in the 243. These are the only ones I have looked at coz they suit my rifles :)

22 Win LA
22 Brno Fox K-Hornet
243 Win 70 Featherweight
rustypic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 15 Apr 2020, 7:46 pm

rustypic wrote:I think we will find that stores may take some on when they run out of Winchester and Hodgdon. I have found some places stock some of the Alliant powders. Apparently their Power Pro 300-MP is good in the 22 K-Hornet, my fav, so I will be getting some, also their PP 2000-MR works in the 243 and 308 and PP Varmint in the 243. These are the only ones I have looked at coz they suit my rifles :)

Yeah, we may find another importer fills the void left by Winchester.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition