30-30 subsonic info

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 30-30 subsonic info

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2020, 7:51 pm

For what it's worth, Rose was at the other block, 1500m down the valley with the cows, she heard nothing of the 30 rounds I fired. I was shooting SSW and she was SSE of me.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 09 Mar 2020, 8:30 pm

bladeracer wrote:For what it's worth, Rose was at the other block, 1500m down the valley with the cows, she heard nothing of the 30 rounds I fired. I was shooting SSW and she was SSE of me.

Rose being your better half?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2020, 9:04 pm

in2anity wrote:[quote="bladeracer"For what it's worth, Rose was at the other block, 1500m down the valley with the cows, she heard nothing of the 30 rounds I fired. I was shooting SSW and she was SSE of me.[/quote

Rose being your better half?

Much more than half :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Mar 2020, 10:49 am

Thanks for going to the trouble of doing all of that work Blade, just to show that the load I suggested, ( 10gr ), worked. ( which I already knew from firing thousands of rounds of it ) :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Mar 2020, 12:40 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Thanks for going to the trouble of doing all of that work Blade, just to show that the load I suggested, ( 10gr ), worked. ( which I already knew from firing thousands of rounds of it ) :sarcasm:

Thanks GR :-)
You suggested 10gn behind "cast bullets" though, I haven't tried with cast yet, and you didn't specify a bullet weight. As I said, I didn't do any load development yet. My goal was not for something that simply "works", as any bullet on almost any charge will work. I was trying to find the charge weight that would stay subsonic, as that is what the OP needed, and also what I wanted. Both of these loads are subsonic, in my rifle, but the lighter bullet has less "boom" to it due to the much lower powder volume. You did pop back in later to mention that the load you suggested would certainly not be subsonic.

I stuck with jacketed bullets as I can't see any value for the OP messing about with commercial cast bullets, or casting his own, just to deal with one fox. Cast is my own preference though, so further testing will be with cast pure lead in both a very light 90gn bullet, and a heavy one for pounding steel, both still subsonic. Does your Win94 handle 200gn or 220gn cast bullets okay? I also want to see what the rifle can do with target bullets for outright accuracy as it shows some potential I think, and what sort of velocities can be made with light varmint bullets as well. But I'll be using the scope for further testing.

I think anybody now searching for ".30-30 subsonic info" should be confident of finding some useful starting data.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition