Measuring case capacity

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Measuring case capacity

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Mar 2020, 3:52 pm

I got the bright idea :idea: of doing this only after FLS some cases. Looked up the web and it said to leave the dead primers in. "No matter", I thought and found a dead one in the bucket that catches them. It had no anvil and because I did not want water in the primer pocket, the primer was seated upside down, in the interest of a really accurate measurement.
Squirted some water in the mouth and looked for the level with the sun shining on the mouth. There it was! Squirted in some more. And some more...........and more.
Hey, wait a minute the water was leaking past the primer :!: :shock:
Reckon the joke is on me :oops:
So that's why they don't decap :cry:
Maybe next time :lol:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: Measuring case capacity

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2020, 4:48 pm

Haha. I’m not going to say this out loud, but I did once put powder into some cases that were not primed. I thought, that powder looks lower than normal - picked up case and a nice steam followed me...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Mar 2020, 6:39 pm

Why do you want to measure the case capacity ? Are you batching your brass?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 20 Mar 2020, 6:59 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Haha. I’m not going to say this out loud, but I did once put powder into some cases that were not primed. I thought, that powder looks lower than normal - picked up case and a nice steam followed me...

Ive done that once or twice at least not losing too much and making a big mess. I also put used primers in upside down if I want to do a water case capacity measurement never had any leaks doing it this way.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Mar 2020, 7:03 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Why do you want to measure the case capacity ? Are you batching your brass?

In a word, "Yes" :)
But since you asked a serious question, SCJ429, they are 30/30 cases. Thought I would experiment with them, just to see how it works out.................or not ;)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Mar 2020, 7:16 pm

All good fun then, no harm in experimenting. I have done some batching of Lapua brass and found that if I just take out the cases furtherest from the mean, they shot as low an ES number as trying for brass all within a very small capacity difference.

I am guessing you are not neck turning or using Lapua brass, so you may see some big improvements from batching.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Mar 2020, 9:43 pm

SCJ429,
My 223 shoots 0.375" at 100 yards with weight sorted cases. When the scope comes back from repair, I will try some volume sorted cases.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Mar 2020, 9:14 am

I put my efforts into consistant neck tension, slight changes in speed cause by the case should not put you out of the node. You can cull cases that shoot faster or slower when you see the speed on your chrono. I find improvements after things like annealing, neck turning and using the right bushing in your die.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Mar 2020, 2:00 pm

Hmmm. Well, the cases are weight sorted in 0.2gn. increments, every charge is weighed and the necks are sized with a Lee Collet Die. Those procedures that you use, with all due respect, are added complexities that have been deliberately and happily, avoided. Good luck to you if that is what you like.
Now that I think about it, I am probably just a pig shooter at heart, who used to target shoot in between hunts to pass the time.
SCJ429, you have forced a confession out of me :oops:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition