303 Brass projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

303 Brass projectiles

Post by Olderfart54 » 23 Mar 2020, 5:09 pm

G'day all,
An old reloader from waaaay back in the 70s here, but I have only just taken it up again. So I have the sound basic knowledge needed to reload various calibres that I use, mainly .222, .243, 6.5x55mm Swede, 303, .310 Cadet and 32.20 Win.
My question here is "Has anyone tried making and using lathe turned homemade brass projectiles with any success?"
I was messing about with the lathe yesterday and I'm not sure why, but I finished up making a Round Nose .312 cal 136gr brass projectile.
Is the brass bullet much harder than a cupro-nickel coated bullet and will it do any damage to the bore of my trusty SMLE?

Cheers
Gazza
Olderfart54
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 303 Brass projectiles

Post by Farmerpete » 25 Mar 2020, 6:18 pm

Being a farmer when i want to stop a shaft from burring i dig around the toolbox for a brass hammer so i Couldn't tell you for sure but brass is softer than steel so would assume the brass deforms before the steel barrel. Also a lot of jackets are made from brass so it could be assumed...maybe that it wouldn't hurt the barrel

Couldn't tell you if it would change chamber pressure or powder amounts when reloading the only experience I've had there is with a lee classic hand loader maybe someone more experienced can help you there
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: 303 Brass projectiles

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2020, 7:21 pm

I copied the ELDM in 7mm and shot them in 7mm-08 alongside real ELDM's with equal accuracy.
Very fiddly though to get consistent ogive. Any CNC shop can copy a bullet and turn them out, but it's cheaper to buy lead/copper bullets.

No, brass bullets won't harm the barrel. AV Ballistics make several brass bullet designs for milsurp cartridges.
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collec ... ballistics

Olderfart54 wrote:G'day all,
An old reloader from waaaay back in the 70s here, but I have only just taken it up again. So I have the sound basic knowledge needed to reload various calibres that I use, mainly .222, .243, 6.5x55mm Swede, 303, .310 Cadet and 32.20 Win.
My question here is "Has anyone tried making and using lathe turned homemade brass projectiles with any success?"
I was messing about with the lathe yesterday and I'm not sure why, but I finished up making a Round Nose .312 cal 136gr brass projectile.
Is the brass bullet much harder than a cupro-nickel coated bullet and will it do any damage to the bore of my trusty SMLE?

Cheers
Gazza
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition