Sticky cases in .30-30 dies

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Sticky cases in .30-30 dies

Post by GQshayne » 30 Mar 2020, 5:21 pm

I use the Hornady case lube, and I cannot see how it could be better really. I cannot see that being the problem.

So the first resize is ok, but the second resize is the problem???? If I have that right, then it sounds like the cases are the issue, perhaps poor quality or need annealing.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 31 Mar 2020, 7:57 am

You have that right GQShayne yes, first resize aftre firing the factory round is fine, second resize after firing a reload is the problem one. I will give some of Sellior and Bellot brass a run I think, I just bought them as spares but may as well use them.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 31 Mar 2020, 8:30 pm

Am88 wrote:You have that right GQShayne yes, first resize aftre firing the factory round is fine, second resize after firing a reload is the problem one. I will give some of Sellior and Bellot brass a run I think, I just bought them as spares but may as well use them.

S&B r good and thick. Primer pockets can be tight, but that can be fixed with a cheap tool.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by snag » 01 Apr 2020, 9:42 pm

I have been loading .30/30 for a very long time and, like you, have found them a "sticky" cartridge. I personally think it's because of the case construction ie: long neck and slow shoulder taper - giving a lot of brass contact with the dies. I have found that slavering the buggers with Lee lube solves the problems. Works for me.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Apr 2020, 10:01 pm

This has been a tricky one to solve but I’ll take a stab and say that I think that last post by snag might be right on the money
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Nalla Rehctelf » 04 Apr 2020, 4:08 pm

I am interested in beginning the journey to the dark side “Reloading”. I have 223, 270 and 30 06 to reload. I am mostly happy mostly happy with factory amo. For what I do; especially the 30 06 as it doesn’t get to talk much & is generally fatal when used. But I’m probably looking to get more from the 270 and 223 used for hunting. As a way of expanding my Hunting, I would like to reload. I don’t want to buy junk but I also don’t need a high cost, high output set up, looking for a functional setup. Also I really hate deciding to buy something only to find that I need to get something else to make it work.
If using the starting point of RCBS equipment, is the list below complete?
 Everything needed?
 Needs other equipment?
 Doesn’t need items?

• Rock Chucker Supreme Press
• M500 Mechanical Scale
• Uniflow™ Powder Measure
• Hand Priming Tool
• Universal Case Load Block
• .17-.60 Debur Tool
• Hex Key
• Case Lube Kit
• Powder Funnel
• Nosler #7 Reloading Manual
• Case cleaner
• Measurements calliper
• Die set, suitable for the calibre’s

Allan
Nalla Rehctelf
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 04 Apr 2020, 7:32 pm

Nalla, just a couple of suggestions, mechanical scales are tedious, stick to your thrower and get a decent set of digital scales (or two), and then maybe get a trickler if you want more precision. Or you could splurge on a good automatic digital dispenser and forget the thrower - that’s what I use these days - I seat, while it dispenses (to near enough exact) the next. Just a thought.

Also, get an RCBS hand priming tool - they’re up there with the best IMO. Also, consider carefully if you want to neck size or FLS - if you collet neck size you can skip the lubing and cleaning step a couple of times. You’ll need a FLS die eventually however; so perhaps get the lee collet die set, and then get a nice FLS die separate? Also, you’ll need to trim - I’m a BIG fan of the lee quick trim tool in a drill - miles faster than any bench mounted thingy. Quite consistent - I also use the wooden ball thingy to hold it. BTW are you just hunting? How much shooting are you doing?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Apr 2020, 9:33 pm

If your not into precision the Lee kits are very popular.
Personnally Ive found beam balance ok.
As mentioned you will need a trickier buy or diy. Trimmer a little later
Get started with RGB lee dies (fls)
Some lube. I use diff oil. Lol

There is a face book page for buying and selling used reloading stuff.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 05 Apr 2020, 7:47 am

Am88 how smooth/polished is the expander ?? might be worth removing and putting into a drill and give it a polish with some fine ie 400 paper. Also if I ever had trouble with the expander generally a cotton bud smeared in hornady wax and then run inside the necks does the job.

most difficult brass I ever reloaded was some rock hard RWS 10.75 x 68 ended up spraying twice with lube letting the stuff dry for 5 mins in between before FLS. :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by John » 15 Apr 2020, 12:56 pm

Did you anneal the brass before sizing it that might explain it I like rcbs case lube it seem to work well for me and what type of press are you using the cheaper ones can be harder to use on larger calibers they don’t the mechanical advantages of more expensive ones I’ve seen this problem with lee C type presses
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 20 Apr 2020, 8:20 am

Hi Guys, have established it is definitely the PPU brass, did not measure any cases however I did load some sellior and bellot brass up, shot both and resized both, same thing happened sticky PPU brass but the sellior and bellot sized just fine.

Bill I generally take my dies apart and run them in a drill with a bit of 2000 grit, also the cotton bud with lube is exactly how I do it aswell.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Apr 2020, 10:37 am

Thanks for the feed bak. It’s good to see a resolution and why
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Apr 2020, 11:00 am

l find that staggering because although the s&b brass is way better quality it is as thick as the PPU
have you measured the case head :unknown:
because you are using light loads if it is over the size it should be l would suggest the cases heads are a bit soft from the manufacturer
this can be remedied by using a small base die, the brass will harden by firing it

the main thing is that you have found what works :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition