Which case trimmer to buy? Powered, manual, drillbit?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Which case trimmer to buy? Powered, manual, drillbit?

Post by sneaker » 30 Jul 2013, 2:04 pm

I've been getting away without trimming my brass for as long as I can and the times come where I need to start doing it.

Do the manual rotary ones do the trick? Quite a jump in price for a motorised one...

I see there are the Lee brand setup which is like a 2 piece drill bit? 1 to hold the shell and 1 into the power drill for the rotation. Seems like you might over trim easily doing it this way? Or lose a fingertip or two?

What does everyone recommend? Style and brand of trimmer?

Cheers.
Last edited by sneaker on 16 Dec 2013, 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Which case trimmer to buy? Powered, manual, drillbit?

Post by tarnagulla » 30 Jul 2013, 5:42 pm

Good luck with this - after years of having to trim cases, I am yet to find a "best" system. Much depends on (1) how many cases do you need to trim, and (2) how many calibres?

If you have only a few cases, the Lee system is good, but best when used manually - I have found that chucking them up in a drill often results in the case working its way off-centre, with the trimmer then being ripped out of your hand and flying off to find the nearest window or other breakable!

The "manual rotary" ones (and I presume you are referring to the "mini lathe" types) do a good job, BUT you need a standard length case to set them up in the first place. If you have to trim a large number, you end up with blisters!

I have obviously tried both, and I am still searching for the "best" alternative. Dillon offers the Rolls Royce possibility - a sizing die, on which is mounted an electronic trimmer (separate die and possibly cutter for each calibre of course) but the system is not cheap, and only available in 110v at present!

I too will be interested to read of the experience/opinions of other members...
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Aster » 30 Jul 2013, 8:55 pm

I'm ready to try a powdered one.

I have a mini lathe (thanks tarnagulla for the real name ;)) style trimmer and it takes about 20 seconds or so to trim a case. I can tell ya it gets old reeeeeeal fast when you've just come back from emptying 100 cases at the range.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Brute » 30 Jul 2013, 8:59 pm

tarnagulla wrote:If you have only a few cases, the Lee system is good, but best when used manually - I have found that chucking them up in a drill often results in the case working its way off-centre, with the trimmer then being ripped out of your hand and flying off to find the nearest window or other breakable!

Man, really?

I was just at my LGS today and the guy couldn't talk up the Lee powder drill one enough.

He failed to mention the flying trimmer issue.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by tucked » 31 Jul 2013, 9:29 am

Brute wrote:He failed to mention the flying trimmer issue.

Just hope you're misses isn't in the way of it when the trimmer goes flying. Then you've got 2 issues :P
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Herdsman » 31 Jul 2013, 11:23 am

tarnagulla wrote:If you have only a few cases, the Lee system is good, but best when used manually - I have found that chucking them up in a drill often results in the case working its way off-centre, with the trimmer then being ripped out of your hand and flying off to find the nearest window or other breakable!

You want one of these:

"Cutter with Ball Grip" which is $10US according to their website.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tarnagulla » 31 Jul 2013, 6:51 pm

I didn't really want to bag the Lee system Brute, in fact it is probably the best way to go, unless you are looking to trim a hundred cases or two at a time. The ball handle is a good idea too Herdsman, (unless you are doing a lot cases at a time) but a friend of mine found a cheaper and more durable alternative - he just welded a steel cross-piece on the end of the standard cutter!

Lee does offer a you-beaut universal shell holder to suit any case from .25ACP to around .338 Lapua, (which automatically centres the case) but it only fits on their "Zip-Trim" tool, and takes a larger diameter gadget than the one supplied with the standard cutter ( I know, because I ordered one from the US, and found out the hard way!)

I have thought about having one made up to suit this shell holder - is anyone else interested?
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 01 Aug 2013, 2:38 pm

Aster wrote:... and it takes about 20 seconds or so to trim a case.

You must be turning that handle reeeeal slow :P
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 01 Aug 2013, 2:41 pm

Blackened wrote:You must be turning that handle reeeeal slow :P

Just because you've had lots of practice running your hand back and forth quickly :mrgreen:
Aster

-

Post by Lorgar » 01 Aug 2013, 5:03 pm

tarnagulla wrote:I have thought about having one made up to suit this shell holder - is anyone else interested?

I could be interested, but I'm dubious over how cost effective it would be...

I've had a brief look into a few small runs of these kinds of things and they've always been prohibitively expensive.

e.g. I had a look into getting some stainless-steel squares cut that would be suitable for plinking for larger calibre rifles, something like a 3/4 inch sheet that a .308 or similar wouldn't blow gaping holes through.

For 10 decent size targets a sheet of suitable stainless was $1200 :/

Always kills you on small runs :(
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tarnagulla » 05 Aug 2013, 5:53 pm

Slightly off the original topic (though I see where you are coming from) - but why did you want stainless? I would have thought that standard steel plate would do the job, or "bisalloy" if your loads are really hot?
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 05 Aug 2013, 10:02 pm

I initially thought stainless for longevity really. Given how expensive it was going to be I was thinking perhaps stainless might last a little longer overall than mild steel once rust set in.

I'm just shooting standard .308 and .243 loads, nothing blazing that would require seriously heavy duty plates. You may well be right, regular still could be totally fine.

I forget the figures now, but from memory even a sheet of mild steel wasn't going to be all that much cheaper from what I recall. To be honest I didn't get terribly far into exploring all possible options for this after finding out the ballpark prices.

I'm thinking now something from a metal scrap yard might be a better option. Find a bit of railway steel or something like that...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by redrum » 11 Aug 2013, 8:28 am

I've just started with the Lee system, 2 faulty trimmers is all I've got so far :(
Good news, everyone!
- Hubert J. Farnsworth
redrum
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Igoe » 18 Sep 2013, 3:09 pm

I just bought my first case trimmer - a Wilson stainless steel manual trimmer with micrometer attachment.
It wasn't cheap, but it is brilliant. Easy to use, very accurate, super easy to load and remove cases from the case holder.

I did my first 200 or so cases the other night. Only took about 1 hour, including learning how to use it properly.

Ian
Igoe
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 18 Sep 2013, 9:07 pm

Igoe wrote:I did my first 200 or so cases the other night. Only took about 1 hour, including learning how to use it properly.

That's a pretty solid trimming rate for a manual trimmer.

You chamfering your case necks too? or just trimming as is?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Igoe » 19 Sep 2013, 8:29 am

Lorgar wrote:
Igoe wrote:I did my first 200 or so cases the other night. Only took about 1 hour, including learning how to use it properly.

That's a pretty solid trimming rate for a manual trimmer.

You chamfering your case necks too? or just trimming as is?

Just trimming.
Also got a Lyman Xpress for primer pocket cleaning, chamfering, etc. Great bit of kit. Can do 5 different tasks with it in the time it takes to do one task manually.
Bought a bit of gear in the US on a recent trip, so while they are not cheap, they are half the price there compared to Aus.

Ian
Igoe
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Zilla » 19 Sep 2013, 9:32 am

Igoe wrote:Bought a bit of gear in the US on a recent trip, so while they are not cheap, they are half the price there compared to Aus.

If only we has US prices here in Aus...

Costs 4x the value of a rifle in the US to ship it to an Aus store apparently :roll:
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 19 Sep 2013, 9:45 am

Zilla wrote:Costs 4x the value of a rifle in the US to ship it to an Aus store apparently :roll:

The police state tax.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 19 Sep 2013, 1:34 pm

Igoe wrote:Just trimming.

I feel slow now :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sneaker » 16 Dec 2013, 6:30 pm

Late reply here, but thanks for the info guys.

Ended up getting the Lee drillbit system and after a bit of getting used to it's all good :)

Trimming cases galore :D
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by reddog » 16 Dec 2013, 8:19 pm

I've got a Redding 2400 model with the micrometer adjustment , and once you get used to putting the cases in and out of the chuck
it's really quick , only takes about 5 spins a case . Its really a good trimmer , but of all my reloading tools its the least used and was
more expensive than my press !
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by SendIt » 17 Dec 2013, 7:35 am

Any idea roughly how many you can trim an hour with your setup, reddog?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 17 Dec 2013, 7:46 am

I agree that manual ( turning the cutter by hand in a small lathe set up) gets painful pretty quick.

Depending what you have in your shed there is no reason you can not turn a manual set up into a electric set up. The chuck and pilot usually come with the trimmer.

20 years ago I built one out of a Sewing machine motors and controller. It makes short work of trimming. Make a long shaft for the cutter head and put it in a good set of bearings. Took a bit of work to build a quick change chuck to have the same centre heights, but it is fast. This is the way I went as I did not have the cash at the time.

If I was going to do it again I would have a serious look at the RCBS pro trim Electric trimmer. Modern day trimmers are well built and worth the money. They do not get much work but will last you a life time, and make trimming easy. It is not available in 240v but a cheap transformer on eBay will fix that.

At the end of the day if you find something that works for you, use it
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by whert » 17 Dec 2013, 8:13 am

Bills Shed wrote:If I was going to do it again I would have a serious look at the RCBS pro trim Electric trimmer. Modern day trimmers are well built and worth the money.

So expensive though :(

$350 or whatever they are vs $25 for a drill bit cutting one :?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 17 Dec 2013, 8:34 am

Bills Shed wrote:20 years ago I built one out of a Sewing machine motors and controller. It makes short work of trimming. Make a long shaft for the cutter head and put it in a good set of bearings. Took a bit of work to build a quick change chuck to have the same centre heights, but it is fast. This is the way I went as I did not have the cash at the time.

Any chance of some pictures of this?
Aster

-

Post by reddog » 17 Dec 2013, 9:46 am

SendIt wrote:Any idea roughly how many you can trim an hour with your setup, reddog?

Thankfully I haven't had to do an hours worth :lol:
But I reckon 50 in 10mins
With the Redding you clamp the case in a quick change chuck and spin the case not the cutter
It has a big handle on it so no blisters and is also convertible to power if you wanted to down the track
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Arth » 17 Dec 2013, 12:28 pm

reddog wrote:Thankfully I haven't had to do an hours worth :lol:

But I reckon 50 in 10mins.

Not bad. That 150 in half an hour (obviously... go captain math! :lol:) which is more than I've ever shoot in a single session.

If you can turn around a days brass in one quick session, happy days.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition