Powder storage

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Powder storage

Post by KMA » 30 Mar 2020, 4:52 pm

Legally speaking,what is the requirements for storing powder,primers.Is it the same as ammo?I dont store them togethor but do they need to be in locked containers etcc.
KMA
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Powder storage

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Mar 2020, 5:16 pm

Here is the legislation from NSW.

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/vi ... div4/sec84

And here is the legislation for QLD, try page 67 and 68.

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view ... 150#page69
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 30 Mar 2020, 5:17 pm

I can buy cases and projectiles over the counter without a firearms licence ( well I used to before our country got infected) so I figure I can store it wherever the hell I like. But if I have to produce my licence for ammo powders or primers then I treat primers and powder like ammo and it’s locked up .all in the one place for Organization and convenience ...I’m in Qld and I’m assuming I’m doing the right thing
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 30 Mar 2020, 6:36 pm

Powders and primers are governed by mines regulations they're considered explosives rather than munitions they need to be in a " locked spark proof container" this can be steel or timber and does NOT have to be bolted down or weigh any particular amount at least thats my understanding of the QLD regs
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by KMA » 30 Mar 2020, 7:02 pm

Thanks for the info guys .I read page 69 & it says in a secure area in its original containor .plus warning signs.A secure area can be a drawer ,locker or a room. What you assume Blr is right If you have to show your licence to buy it secure it.
KMA
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 30 Mar 2020, 7:05 pm

Had a look into this some time ago and got the following advice from a person "in the know" as far as NSW regs go.
Build a ply wood box (20mm thick ply), lockable hinged lid. Painted the inside white, exterior was painted red with an explosives sticker put on the lid.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by KMA » 30 Mar 2020, 7:15 pm

Thanks for the info guys .I read page 69 & it says in a secure area in its original containor .plus warning signs.A secure area can be a drawer ,locker or a room. What you assume Blr is right If you have to show your licence to buy it secure it.
KMA
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 02 Apr 2020, 7:06 pm

It’s funny how the rules vary from state to state. Here in WA powder has to be stored in a lockable, non-ferrous container, that can be readily moved, with appropriate warning stickers. The idea is that if there is a fire, emergency services personnel can know what it is and remove it easily.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Apr 2020, 10:02 pm

Thus should do.
EXPLOSIVE_1.3.jpg
EXPLOSIVE_1.3.jpg (354.29 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by John » 15 Apr 2020, 1:19 pm

Does any one remember the good old days when you could buy your ammo at Kmart I found some old empty boxes of Winchester.270s with there old price tag still attached $12.50 a box that’s how long ago it was but I remember I was to young to have a license I all so remember when the local paper shop use to sell us air rifle pellets as kids there never was a pigeon or miner bird problem back than
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by poid » 16 Apr 2020, 8:59 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Here is the legislation from NSW.

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/vi ... div4/sec84

On that page it includes:

(7) A person who holds a licence or permit under the Firearms Act 1996 (other than a firearms collector licence) authorising the person to sell or possess a firearm or who holds an ammunition collection permit under that Act is not required to comply with this clause with respect to the storage of ammunition, percussion caps or not more than 12 kg of propellant powder.

...so it doesn't actually apply to powder storage unless you have a crapload.

Personally I keep it in a locked safe with the rest of my ammo.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Grandadbushy » 17 Apr 2020, 5:29 am

I think this could be a common sense thing as well like lock it away especially if there are kids around also to stop people fiddling with it , I lock mine away with my reloading gear and it's in a cool place that way when i'm reloading it's all there no chasing it from cupboard to cupboard
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 17 Apr 2020, 12:20 pm

welcome back Les
great to see you :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Apr 2020, 12:35 pm

:shock: ..... :? ..... :| ....... :shock: ..... :o .... :problem: .... :huh: ..... :| :| . ;) ;) :) :) :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: .. :silent: :silent: :clap:

Hey man...!!!

Did i scare you off GDB... :unknown: :cry:

marksman wrote:welcome back Les
great to see you :thumbsup: :drinks:

Plus one from me... :) .
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2020, 12:42 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:I think this could be a common sense thing as well like lock it away especially if there are kids around also to stop people fiddling with it , I lock mine away with my reloading gear and it's in a cool place that way when i'm reloading it's all there no chasing it from cupboard to cupboard

GDB Great to see your back.

Fonz.jpg
Fonz.jpg (30.3 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fred Smith » 17 Apr 2020, 5:42 pm

John wrote:Does any one remember the good old days when you could buy your ammo at Kmart I found some old empty boxes of Winchester.270s with there old price tag still attached $12.50 a box that’s how long ago it was but I remember I was to young to have a license I all so remember when the local paper shop use to sell us air rifle pellets as kids there never was a pigeon or miner bird problem back than

Hi John
Not only do I remember, but I bought my first rifle there, which is still in the cabinet. It is a Voere 22 WMR. K Mart Cannon Hill, Brisbane. All the rifles used to be on the back wall. About 1982 if my old memory serves me corectly.
Mine...Brno Md2 .22
Voere 22mag
Ruger American 22-250 Stainless (Gorne)
6.5 x 55 Swede (1902 CG)
6.5 x 55 Sauer 100
Howa Varmit Stainless Camo 22-250
Want..30-06
Fred Smith
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 17 Apr 2020, 6:49 pm

G'day boys and thanks for the welcome back , Nah nobody scared me off just had to sort a few things out and get some work done and being on here wasn't helping but I do admit there was a couple that did make me raise my eyebrows but I gave as good as I got so here I am fresh and ready for a good old chin wag. I finally got that 7mm mag singing , i'll put a picky on later
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition