Load development - getting lost

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Load development - getting lost

Post by perentie » 23 Apr 2020, 6:55 am

Sergeant Hartman wrote:If you feeling mirage wind the scope down until no mirage....i can't understand why these so called experienced shooters didn't do that... apologies if they did.

Also why are you getting mirage in winter... unless the barrel is super hot.. which will explain the bad grouping

The mirage will still be there but you just cant see it then and allow for it.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Maxjon » 23 Apr 2020, 7:14 am

Try shooting a fullbore rifle with aperture sights, and a spotting scope, you will learn all about mirage.......only true way to shoot targets for me.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Apr 2020, 7:26 am

Bullbarrel033 wrote:Try shooting a fullbore rifle with aperture sights, and a spotting scope, you will learn all about mirage.......only true way to shoot targets for me.

Forgive my ample ignorance / but why are aperture sights worse? Or is it the combination of full bore / aperture / heat ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Maxjon » 23 Apr 2020, 7:55 am

In my experience the fullbore rifle, and spotting scope combination highlighted the effects of wind and mirage so much more than a scoped rifle. Just my observations. Give me the fullbore rifle anyday for the bullseye!
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 Apr 2020, 8:47 am

Bullbarrel033 wrote:In my experience the fullbore rifle, and spotting scope combination highlighted the effects of wind and mirage so much more than a scoped rifle. Just my observations. Give me the fullbore rifle anyday for the bullseye!

Generally I agree with this. Use a spotting scope + flags to judge the conditions, then rely on the muscle memory and inherent consistency found with sling shooting to repeat the action... I do find myself to be more consistent shooting with a sling vs some form of front rest. Emphasis on consistent here (not accurate).

But to be fair, as a comparison have you done much competitive sling shooting with a scoped rifle? The reason I ask, scores are generally better for the Non-Service rifles in a Service rifle match... as you'd logically expect...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Maxjon » 23 Apr 2020, 10:14 am

in2anity
I have not done much scoped target shooting off a sling, just seems unnatural to me. I've mostly shot Fullbore, and smallbore. Now shooting service rifles with battle sights, but it's getting hard on the eyes. I do however use a merit eyepiece iris on my glasses, couldnt shoot without it, it's a lifesaver!
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 Apr 2020, 11:01 am

Bullbarrel033 wrote:in2anity
I have not done much scoped target shooting off a sling, just seems unnatural to me. I've mostly shot Fullbore, and smallbore. Now shooting service rifles with battle sights, but it's getting hard on the eyes. I do however use a merit eyepiece iris on my glasses, couldnt shoot without it, it's a lifesaver!

Some scoped guns can sure feel odd when slung up, but some feel superb. I've shot smallbore + fullbore, and now I'm in love with service. Interesting you raised the point about battle sights - they are certainly a lot harder than the front tunnel backeting a black circle. It's just staggering what some fullbore shooters are capable of. I've shot alongside the Commonwealth palma team and FMD can they shoot (using their 155gr pills I might add) :o

Still though, what you can do with the fullbore sights you can do that (and more) with a scope. But i totally agree that estimating conditions is far better to do with a spotting scope, better still an experienced spotter sitting next to you :lol:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 23 Apr 2020, 11:22 am

Seargant hartmann I agree :drinks:

Stix I agree we all need a good laugh, even better if itsat our own expense :thumbsup:

Tassie tiger here's a link that may help. Scroll down to dealing with a mirage for a quick solution. ;)

https://www.targettamers.com/guides/tro ... fle-scope/
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Apr 2020, 1:59 pm

Well stix, mate i hardly if ever seen mirage in cold weather... maybe sunny SA is different. As most cold days are usually over cast here. Maybe it could be i have pretty decent scopes, as even with 35x/40x i hardly get mirage in winter... in summer after 11am sure i will wind down the scopes a little.

Thanks Bill for your link... not that anyone else will give you thanks
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Apr 2020, 9:48 pm

I do some target shooting over 300 metres at night and in winter time it is not uncommon to see the mirage. You use it to read the wind as you cannot see any flags obviously at night.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 25 Apr 2020, 10:34 am

This is interesting. This guy gets 2 inch vertical at 1000 yds with a 6BR. I have a long way to go yet,
https://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Apr 2020, 1:13 pm

your not alone there perentie :thumbsup:
Jason Baney is a very knowledgeable bloke here is another one he did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEdZ7k_6-cE

good change of scenery by the way :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Apr 2020, 2:22 pm

I’ve never used ladder testing probably because I didn’t understand it that well.
I still wonder if you could over look a very accurate - but stand alone - load by concentrating on Ladder results.
Good vids tho, thanks for posting.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 25 Apr 2020, 3:11 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’ve never used ladder testing probably because I didn’t understand it that well.
I still wonder if you could over look a very accurate - but stand alone - load by concentrating on Ladder results.
Good vids tho, thanks for posting.

It certainly can, but being in a wide node means less chance of your accurate load becoming less accurate with changes in the environment/firearm/ammo.
The ladder looks for a region where changes in powder charge have little to no effect on vertical dispersion of the ammo.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 26 Apr 2020, 12:43 pm

+1 to blades answer :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Apr 2020, 8:20 pm

This might be helpful.
https://youtu.be/v91mHRBtH1w
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 16 May 2020, 4:59 am

Just a short follow up to this.
I sent the bush elite tac 6500 to NIOA to get parralex checked (especially after some responses here about mirage, and when having another look after posts on parr’a lax) and I received an email back advising that they are replacing the scope.
I don’t have it back as yet and I doubt it Will come with a report but glad to know that I wasn’t going mad...ok, get rooted to all of you who were about to say too late :drinks:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 May 2020, 6:37 am

That explains why you are so angry... you get no sleep.

Out partying all night makes TT very cranky in the morning

Hahahaha joking. But good result
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition