.223 AI for the newbie

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

.223 AI for the newbie

Post by tomtom889 » 05 May 2020, 7:07 pm

Hey guys,

getting myself a .223 AI put together by Allan Swan (new barrel, new stock being glass bedded/pillar bedded etc) on a Tikka action, I have never owned a wildcat before but since I love reloading I wanted to add the extra challenge of fireforming brass etc. planning to shoot 75gr ELD-M projectiles through it and the barrel will be a 1 in 8 twist.

My main question is how do you prefer to fire form brass? Cream of Wheat method or just firing loaded ammo at the range? I am thinking of just firing loaded ammo at the range but if anyone has a somewhat safe load to fire form using cream of wheat I might try that as it can be done at home, I live on the Gold Coast so driving an hour to the range just to fire form brass seems like a bit of a task in itself.

Thanks guys!
tomtom889
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: .223 AI for the newbie

Post by TassieTiger » 06 May 2020, 11:49 pm

Fireforning with primer and dub load - is still loud and in suburbia may attract unwanted attention.
Thing for my way of thinking - fire forming with actual projectiles should match the chamber more precisely to what you’ll ultimately be loading...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 07 May 2020, 9:26 am

I use a 40 grain ZMax projectile and a full load of 2206H to fire form. This has been a very accurate load shooting 1/4 inch and pop the shoulder forward nicely. I also do this fire forming while hunting.

You may find the Hornady projectiles do not perform as well as other target rounds. I have used Berger and Sierra MK which group very well. The Bergers need no batching at all.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by tomtom889 » 07 May 2020, 9:42 am

TassieTiger wrote:Fireforning with primer and dub load - is still loud and in suburbia may attract unwanted attention.
Thing for my way of thinking - fire forming with actual projectiles should match the chamber more precisely to what you’ll ultimately be loading...

Thanks for the advice I'll definitely take it on board, overall it seems most people tend to fire their .223 REM loads through their rifle. Just wanted to see if there was any real benefits to the Cream of Wheat method. Thanks!
tomtom889
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tomtom889 » 07 May 2020, 10:08 am

SCJ429 wrote:I use a 40 grain ZMax projectile and a full load of 2206H to fire form. This has been a very accurate load shooting 1/4 inch and pop the shoulder forward nicely. I also do this fire forming while hunting.

You may find the Hornady projectiles do not perform as well as other target rounds. I have used Berger and Sierra MK which group very well. The Bergers need no batching at all.

Thank you for sharing your fireforming load will definitely look into using it, do you have any heavy projectiles you recommend between 70-80gr that would be accurate and decent for hunting? Thanks!!!
tomtom889
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 May 2020, 11:30 am

to form 22 dasher cases l have been using shotgun/pistol powder in loads to just form the case with soap in the neck like wax to stop the powder falling out
it makes the paddocks smell like a chinese knock shop but works well :lol: l do it this way because of the short neck

when l form 17 ackleys l load them and shoot rabbits, lots of rabbits

its important when fireforming to have your cases at max length because they will usually shrink a bit when formed
that will sort itself out when they stretch but you really want square case mouths after

welcome to the dark side :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 07 May 2020, 11:53 am

The 223 AI is one of the easiest wildcats to form as apart from the shoulder, the case is not touched very much. I often use standard cases when hunting and plinking to build up my stock of AI cases.

I have used Berger 77 grain tactical rounds for hunting but it is not even close to what a 39 grain Blitzking from a 204 can do at 300 or 400 metres. I did used 80 grain Amax while they lasted but accuracy was not as good as Bergers. I tried the ELDX but they required a lot of batching and the results were nothing to write home about.

For hunting I use a 55 grain Vmax or ZMax and they are very effective on foxes out past 300 metres. For plinking the ZMax can knock the metallic silhouette Rams down at 500 metres if you hit them high on their horns. Any lower and you barely wobbly it. You don't gain a lot from the AI case but they do look as flash as a rat with a gold tooth.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by snag » 07 May 2020, 5:56 pm

I stopped using the cream of wheat technique when Trail Boss powder came out. For what I have done, reduced loads have formed the cases spot on.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 07 May 2020, 6:11 pm

G'day TomTom mate I do similar to the others, I have a 22-250AI and I just drop a couple of grains from my chosen load and shoot them I keep them separate to my hunting load but still hunt with them you'll be surprised how accurate they can be unformed , I get 1.5'' @100 yds which isn't too shabby at all
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by tomtom889 » 14 May 2020, 12:34 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:G'day TomTom mate I do similar to the others, I have a 22-250AI and I just drop a couple of grains from my chosen load and shoot them I keep them separate to my hunting load but still hunt with them you'll be surprised how accurate they can be unformed , I get 1.5'' @100 yds which isn't too shabby at all

Hi thanks! I'll try fireforming using standard loads, I have some Lapua brass so hopefully once they open up stores in QLD and I get my rifle back from the gunsmith I can try it out and form some brass! Thanks!
tomtom889
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 14 May 2020, 4:02 pm

For my 223AI I use ADI/OSA brass and fireform with a maximum 223 load of 2206H with cheap Speer 55grn Varmint projectiles, cases form perfectly with one firing, interestingly there is very minimal recoil and this load will shoot half MOA but I cannot get these projectiles to shoot better when pushed faster.Anyways I have 2 loads with Sierra Matchkings that I am happy with as this is primarily a range rifle.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 May 2020, 6:07 pm

Brass is such an amazing metal. None of this would be possible otherwise .....we very lucky to have it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by tomtom889 » 18 May 2020, 10:38 am

Strikey wrote:For my 223AI I use ADI/OSA brass and fireform with a maximum 223 load of 2206H with cheap Speer 55grn Varmint projectiles, cases form perfectly with one firing, interestingly there is very minimal recoil and this load will shoot half MOA but I cannot get these projectiles to shoot better when pushed faster.Anyways I have 2 loads with Sierra Matchkings that I am happy with as this is primarily a range rifle.

Good idea to use cheaper projectiles for fireforming, I found a bulk pack of Hornady VMAX 55gr projectiles for $280 per 1000 which for a .22 cal in my opinion is still quite pricey. will definitely be buying cheaper projectiles for fireforming!
tomtom889
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tomtom889 » 18 May 2020, 10:39 am

Blr243 wrote:Brass is such an amazing metal. None of this would be possible otherwise .....we very lucky to have it

Agreed, the fact that it can be annealed so easily too is very handy especially for fire forming brass such as .223AI, I can imagine it would work harden the brass quite considerably.
tomtom889
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition