Reloading the 7.62x39

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading the 7.62x39

Post by MickW » 06 May 2020, 6:53 pm

G'day all,

After a long break from previous reloading efforts (.222 lee loader) I'm gearing up to reload for my Howa Mini in 7.62x39 & have started to hit some questions about load combinations.

I have some Hornady 123gn SST's which are .310 & some AR2206H. Since I've bought this powder I've found that its probably the least mentioned of all when it comes to this round.

ADI lists two 7.62 x39 loads for AR2206H for bullets of slightly different weight & diameter - a 125gn .311 & a load for a 150gn .312

I'll invest in more common powder over time, but is anyone able to suggest a starting point for my 123 grainers with this powder? Can I safely start with that 125gn load or close?

Thanks for reading
Mick
MickW
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Reloading the 7.62x39

Post by gunnnie » 06 May 2020, 7:21 pm

Mick,

you should be able to work with that ADI load data for the 125gn pills. The usual doctrine is to start 10% under the max load and work up in 0.2gn increments. Follow all the usual guidelines of looking for flattening of primers, bolt lift becoming tighter etc.

I'll be looking to start reloading for my Zastava Mod85 7.62Short in the coming weeks. Have a few hundred Norinco steel cased rounds to work through first. Then I'll start working up a load with the 123gn SST's also. Haven't settled on a powder yet but it's probable that I'll be using 2206H also.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 May 2020, 7:54 pm

l have heard of guys re-loading steel case's but l dont think l would, TBH l dont even like shooting them in my chambers
have you had any major problems using them gunnie :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by MickW » 06 May 2020, 8:52 pm

gunnnie wrote:Mick,

you should be able to work with that ADI load data for the 125gn pills. The usual doctrine is to start 10% under the max load and work up in 0.2gn increments. Follow all the usual guidelines of looking for flattening of primers, bolt lift becoming tighter etc.

I'll be looking to start reloading for my Zastava Mod85 7.62Short in the coming weeks. Have a few hundred Norinco steel cased rounds to work through first. Then I'll start working up a load with the 123gn SST's also. Haven't settled on a powder yet but it's probable that I'll be using 2206H also.

cheers gunnnie. Looking forward to it & hope to get a crack at it next week!
MickW
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 May 2020, 3:23 am

G'day marksman,
The Zastava was always intended to shoot steel case military ammo, as well as brass and copper washed steel. The CZ also was made with steel case in mind and the Howa will shoot it as well, but I have heard of a couple of Howa's not shooting well with it, I have reloaded steel but I don't think it is very good for the dies, Cheers.

G'day MickW,
The 7.62x39 likes fasr powders, and 2206H works well in it for SKS and SKK rifles. In the CZ it shoots MOA out to 100 and still groups under 2 MOA at 250. You will get around 100fps or so faster with AR2019 fo the same load. Nice little rifles, light and handy, good for close range deer and pigs, goats, etc. just as something "different", enjoy.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 07 May 2020, 7:54 am

MickW
I wouldn't worry too much using 2206H. Try your initial loads 0.5 grain below maximum and if nothing looks untoward with your fired brass then go to the full ADI load which by the way is very mild and approximately duplicates factory velocity. Just keep in mind that yours isn't a competition benchrest rifle. As for fired steel cases throw them somewhere where they can rust in peace.

No1Mk3
I wonder where you get you information from regarding the suitability of steel cases in these sporting rifles.
I have a Mini Mark X which was the initial model before the name change to M85.
Admittedly my experience is only with the very early el cheapo Norinco steel cased ammo but the shooting experience with brass and steel cases is like chalk and cheese. Steel cases feed reluctantly and only 4 will fit in the magazine. With brass 5 will happily fit and feed flawlessly.
By the way the Norinco rounds were the copper washed and lacquered type. I imagine the coloured steel type would be even worse.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 07 May 2020, 8:59 am

The 762x39 is very close to a 30BR Norma which I use to shoot 110 to 125 grain projectiles. I use 2207 or sometimes Benchmark 1 powders. I would think that 2206H would be too slow for what is almost a case with very little shoulder. Why do you want to use 2206H? Are you able to try a faster powder?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 07 May 2020, 9:12 am

As Straightshooter mentioned, the load data from ADI is very conservative. They list 28 grains of 2206h to get a speed of barely over 2000 fps. This is very slow and I am sure you can do a lot better than that. Start there with your ladder test and keep going until you run out of room in your case.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 May 2020, 10:18 am

G'day straightshooter,
Personal conversation with Branko Bogdanovic who is Official Historian to the Red Banner Factory, now Zastava Arms. The rifles were intended to be able to shoot Yugoslav ammo, as for CZ, Branko has a friend who was a Senior Engineer at Povaske Bystrica and knows a fair bit about their history as well. The CZ was intended to be able to shoot any Comecon made ammo. I have to say my CZ has never given an ounce of trouble whether I use Lapua or Norinco of which I had a lot left over after Flak Jacket Johnny took my SKK, the yellow packet copper wash stuff, or Romanian surplus of which I had 300 rounds. Wish I had more, it was good stuff. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 07 May 2020, 11:40 am

Have a look at AR2207 if you eventually end up trying a different powder mate. I load up for my dad with 125gr and AR2207.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 07 May 2020, 7:32 pm

Yeah I agree with comments re 2207, 2206H seems too slow - not much of a shoulder on the 762x39 case, and a comparatively light 311 cal pill. As a comparison, the best powder for my 16" blackout shooting 125gr supers is 2205.
Last edited by in2anity on 08 May 2020, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 07 May 2020, 9:28 pm

what l have seen that always worried me about re-loading steel cases is the enlarged primers on the factory ammo
l have also seen a sauer that the chamber was to tight IMO for the steel as l had to hammer open the bolt
it just worried me probably because l dont know enough about re-loading steel cases :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by MickW » 08 May 2020, 10:16 am

Thanks for the feedback gents. I put together a few test rounds based on 28.0 & 28.2gn of that 2206H, so lets see how it goes.

Mick
MickW
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition