Re-loading online...

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re-loading online...

Post by petemacsydney » 10 Mar 2014, 8:43 am

When you are re-loading just one caliber, i struggle with spending a bucket load on books that cover a whole bunch of stuff i probably don't need. Maybe long term i will invest, but for now i want to satisfy my needs more cheaply (but safely).

I'm kinda hoping when i get to buying powers, bullets etc that i'll be able to get sufficient data from the bullet/powder manufacturer online. Obviously i don't want to trust someone's recommendation alone, but i guess the question is, will i be able to serve myself online sufficiently? i know there are some sites with data, but is it really enough to self serve your own loads?

It just feels like the book thing is just another way to suck money out of us. For most of my other hobbies i would never need buy a book.. but then again, my other hobbies don't generally have a tendency to explode if i stuff up! well... most of them don't...
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Re-loading online...

Post by Techc » 10 Mar 2014, 8:48 am

How close are you to buying all the stuff?

If you can post some info, I'm sure heaps of guys here can give you answers and you can corroborate online with manufacturer webpages and such.

If you're only reloading for one calibre there won't be that much information.

What calibre, what powder, what weight bullet etc.

Tell us what you've got and we'll tell you what we know.
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Aster » 10 Mar 2014, 8:54 am

All of the information you need can be confirmed online.

ADI publish data for all loads and give a starting and max load for the cartridge and a range of bullets.

COAL and seating depth can be confirmed in tonnes of places from cartridge and rifle makers.

Resizing your brass is pretty straight forward.

For a single modern cartridge you shouldn't have any trouble online I wouldn't think as there is a wealth of knowledge floating around here and elsewhere.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by petemacsydney » 10 Mar 2014, 9:34 am

Nice, thanks peeps.

I broke in my Tikka T3 308 Varmint on the weekend with some factory federal premium 308 130g. I plan to buy a bunch of this stuff as she shoots real nice like, but probably up the projectile weight. then I plan to reload the brass from my fact ammo.

I've got no idea on bullets themselves, I need to do some research. I have a Dillon progressive XL650

I reckon it'll be a few weeks before I do my first load - looking forward to it!
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 11 Mar 2014, 9:26 am

.308 is just about the most common calibre in the world.

There will be more information on reloading online than you could ever read.

No shortage of guys reloading for it here either obviously.

Ask your questions here when ready and I've no doubt you'll get your answers with confidence.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 11 Mar 2014, 9:36 am

Online is good but if you have one of the better reloading manuals you will occaisonally find yourself going back to it. I still pick up my old LEE manual for the odd bit of info now and again and for the mechanics of reloading they can be helpful.

I don't see the reloading manual as a source of load data(Most of the Lee manual is for yankee powders that aren't uin common use here, although I do use it a bit for alliant powders) and use ADI's load tables online when using their products.

Online often provides somewhere to get an answer to something you can't work out yourself or would like to check, however some people have an answer for everything and you need to be aware of that.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by halberg » 11 Mar 2014, 10:27 am

I reckon the manuals (some anyway) are great for a read on shooting regardless.

I have the one that ships with the RCBS reloading stuff and in additional to heaps of reloading info for all sort of bullets it's got a few pages of history on each cartridge and information on old and interesting ones I didn't know anything about.

I've spent a few nights sitting in bed reading the reloading manual :lol:
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Mar 2014, 10:34 am

I just bought the latest hornady & Barnes reloading books plus I've just ordered the old blokes book as it was just $30. It's only to get diffrent loads & cross check some of the loads in the other books. If you want to know anything Pete just pm me & I'll do my best.
Member-Deleted

Post by Arth » 11 Mar 2014, 2:39 pm

halberg wrote:I have the one that ships with the RCBS reloading stuff and in additional to heaps of reloading info for all sort of bullets it's got a few pages of history on each cartridge and information on old and interesting ones I didn't know anything about.

The thick Speers reloading manual right? It's like a 1,000 pages or something?

There is some good reading in that one. Others too I'm sure...
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition