Best brass for reloading?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Post by Richo » 10 Mar 2014, 9:55 pm

Can anyone tell me if Remington UMC or Federal Tactical brass is any good for reloading?

I use Remington Core lokt in my 308 and Federal Power Shok in my 22-250 but are they the same brass?

Thanks,
Richo
Gamo .177
Winchester .177
Norinco 22lr
Ruger 22-250
Howa 308
Lee Enfield 410
Mossberg 12g
TBA......
Richo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Best brass for reloading?

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Mar 2014, 5:57 am

I've been told lapua is the best, but win, rem & fed are all good for hunting rounds
Member-Deleted

Post by Baldrick314 » 11 Mar 2014, 6:18 am

I use federal brass for reloading both my 308 and 22-250. Both delivery great accuracy and have been reloaded multiple times with no failures to date
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Richo » 11 Mar 2014, 6:19 am

Cheers Jaso, Lapua make awesome cases but I'm going the elcheapo option.

The Remington (150gr FMJ) is on special for $99 per 100 and the Federal (130gr HP) is $130

I personally would prefer the Federal the only thing that concerns me is the Federal is designed for police use and that makes me think it might be a throwaway case?
Gamo .177
Winchester .177
Norinco 22lr
Ruger 22-250
Howa 308
Lee Enfield 410
Mossberg 12g
TBA......
Richo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Elek » 11 Mar 2014, 6:20 am

I found Remington brass seemed to give me more flyers and little wider groups.

This and feedback from others have leave me to believe the wall thickness isn't as consistent as you'd like.

Federal I've used with good results though.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Hadoku » 11 Mar 2014, 6:36 pm

Richo wrote:I personally would prefer the Federal the only thing that concerns me is the Federal is designed for police use and that makes me think it might be a throwaway case?

Hmm I dunno about that. I've shot plenty of recycled brass from Federal factory ammo and it's all good?
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Richo » 11 Mar 2014, 7:42 pm

I have sent Federal an email, will let you guys know the outcome.
Last edited by Monty on 15 Apr 2014, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post was missing a few words, updated it...
Gamo .177
Winchester .177
Norinco 22lr
Ruger 22-250
Howa 308
Lee Enfield 410
Mossberg 12g
TBA......
Richo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 11 Mar 2014, 8:38 pm

Sent Federal what...??? Looks like something is missing from your post.

I don't know about the calibres you are intending reloading with Federal Cases nor the statement about designed for Police use.

But, Federal have the contract to make ammunition for the Military and it is designed for use in military firearms hence why some at least has crimped primers which are also sealed. If they are crimped primers then the crimp must be removed before any attempt to seat a new primer. There are any number of tools and methods to remove the crimp around the primer pocket.

The "Best" cases in my view are Lapua and are way more consistant than Remington, Federal and the like. In the long run they work out much cheaper.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 11 Mar 2014, 8:54 pm

Honestly Richo, for 99% of the shooting done here in Australia the average reloader won't notice much difference between Lapua, remington, Federal, PPU etc etc etc(apart from the price).

If you lose a federal or remington in the bush who cares but lose a $2 lapua too often and it starts to hurt.

As far as case life goes I throw bush loads out at 10 and get thirty plus reloads for everything else, it is all in how you treat them.

Just be aware that .223 Federal is crimped, everything else is okay.

Go for it, just be aware that different brand cases hold slightly different amounts of powder and if you mix brands within the calibre you may need to adjust your load slightly.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Apollo » 11 Mar 2014, 9:40 pm

$2.00 for Lapua Cases, someone really saw you coming.

Try $0.79 for .308 and $1.15 for 22-250 Lapua Cases Match Grade.

For the average reloader who can hit the side of a barn he will notice the difference from the improvement in consistancy and less missed shots when it counts. But then again if he puts a $0.10 bullet in it all bets are off.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Richo » 11 Mar 2014, 10:16 pm

Thanks Warrigul couldn't agree with you more mate, I only intended to reload them 10 times max. All I really wanted to know is if the Remington UMC or Federal Tactical ammo use brass worthy of reloading?

Apollo - sent federal an email to ask if the brass is the same in both the 308 power shok and tactical brands of ammunition as there is a price difference of about $50 per hundred between the two.
Last edited by Richo on 12 Mar 2014, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamo .177
Winchester .177
Norinco 22lr
Ruger 22-250
Howa 308
Lee Enfield 410
Mossberg 12g
TBA......
Richo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Richo » 12 Mar 2014, 3:42 am

And the response from Federal is "All our brass is the same no matter the load/product."

Might send Remington an email now and see what they have to say.
Gamo .177
Winchester .177
Norinco 22lr
Ruger 22-250
Howa 308
Lee Enfield 410
Mossberg 12g
TBA......
Richo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Swarm » 12 Mar 2014, 8:39 am

Richo wrote:And the response from Federal is "All our brass is the same no matter the load/product."

Hmm, is it just me or is that a bit disappointing after all the talking up of their different types of ammo :lol:
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 12 Mar 2014, 9:05 am

Apollo wrote:For the average reloader who can hit the side of a barn he will notice the difference from the improvement in consistancy and less missed shots when it counts. But then again if he puts a $0.10 bullet in it all bets are off.

Ummm, I shoot against people who are anal about cases, prep etc and pretty much don't bother to waste my breath on the range nowadays when someone bangs on about what I HAVE to use or do to be accurate, they enjoy it so it isn't for me to critiscise. I will listen and if there is any possibility of something being worthwhile I will try it and test it out if I think it worth spending the time on, but usually it is the same old stuff rebadged. Occaisonally something dangerous is spouted and I will say something when a new shooter is around.

A few weeks ago after topping the day at club level I was told that ex mil 7.62 brass was rubbish, I actually gave him the set of twelve empty cases that beat him at 600m a couple of hours earlier, M80 7.62 POF and on the reloading sticker marked ( xx.x grains 2208, 155 grain HBC, Primer PMC, comparator length xxxx, anneal 6 Omark DExxxx). This basically translated to 35 plus reloads and still capable from brass that was originally milsurp discarded on the mound over a decade ago(yes I have a lot of it lying around).

The point being that you can buy the most expensive brass you like but in the end it is what you do with it that matters and I would challenge your statement that the average reloader would notice a difference by using Lapua over remington or federal. The average reloader is also going to walk into the average retailer and buy what is on the shelf and that is what it is worth in the two local stores. I would never pay $2 a case for Lapua as I shop at the rifle association but then I have no need to buy Lapua either as I do well enough with my old rubbish.

Most hunters are better off shooting a heap of factory loads then reloading the empties(as long as they use matching cases), the couple of millimeters of group size you MAY gain simply from using lapua is not noticable in the field especially when a target projectile isn't going to be used (and it is HUNTING remember not many are going to use match grade projectiles). Rather than buy expensive brass there is usually something in the reloading routine that can be improved for a greater return in accuracy.

Range reloading is a different kettle of fish to hunting and there is a different set of requirements for being in the field.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Warrigul » 12 Mar 2014, 9:14 am

Richo wrote:Thanks Warrigul couldn't agree with you more mate, I only intended to reload them 10 times max. All I really wanted to know is if the Remington UMC or Federal Tactical ammo use brass worthy of reloading?

Just quickly, there some versions of tactical ammo about that are steel cased- just make sure you have brass not steel.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by upup » 12 Mar 2014, 9:39 am

Are people still using Nickel cases?

That had a little sprout of popularity for a while then seemed to just vanish?
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 12 Mar 2014, 10:18 am

upup wrote:Are people still using Nickel cases?

That had a little sprout of popularity for a while then seemed to just vanish?

I am still cycling about 150 .243 for a mate, you can still get them in Winchester factories. I also have 500 .38 Special+P nickel cases that I am cycling for my pistol.

I have heard it said that they are brittle but I haven't encountered this with around six reloads for the .243 and at least ten reloads for the .38 cases.

They look pretty.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Aster » 12 Mar 2014, 11:50 am

upup wrote:Are people still using Nickel cases?

IMO they are too expensive for not enough gain, and not enough use.

Nickel cases are more slippery than brass cases. They feed smoother, jam less etc. Potentially important if you're talking about a dangerous game rifle, some would say at least.

Nickel is also less vulnerable to corrosion which is good if you live in an unfriendly environment and expect to have ammo sitting their for an extended period of time. Have a box sitting in your cabin in Canada for 6 months etc.

It is however more expensive, and as a rule of thumb doesn't last as long as brass cases with reloading. It's prone to becoming brittle and splitting in a shorter span than brass.

There is no need for it in the Australian shooting scene IMO.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by petemacsydney » 14 Apr 2014, 7:50 pm

Richo wrote:All I really wanted to know is if the Remington UMC or Federal Tactical ammo use brass worthy of reloading?

looks like an older thread but i was doing some research on Lapua brass tonight so thought i would chuck in my 1.3 cents... minus taxes... ;-)

Maybe i'm trying to work out the same question as this thread anyway, is it worth spending the extra on more costly brass?

Anyhoo.. saw your question Richo (above)... I'm far from an experienced re-loader or shooter.. but i thought i'd tell you my experience.

I bought a shed load of fed prem tactical in 308 and have recently reloaded them with some nice nosler projectiles, ar2208 and fed prem primers (Chronus put me onto the mix and further after research and after the first 60 rounds i have decided i am definitely happy with his suggestion ;-)

anyway, outcome was great for me. My groups halved from 1moa at 100m to half moa at 100m. i haven't yet put some down range at longer tagrets (thats the next step at the mudgee meetup), but my gut feel is the consistency and gained improvement will stay (when compared to the factory rounds).

but... whilst i am stoked with the difference.. I am still left wondering.. do i go with lapua next time? (as so many recommend).

interesting point though, from research in this forum, it looks like people are getting a lot more reloads out off Lapua, which means cost wise, its probably cheaper in the long run (and hopefully more accurate ;-).

haven't decided on brass upgrade yet... time will tell ;-)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hadoku » 15 Apr 2014, 11:53 am

Richo wrote:Might send Remington an email now and see what they have to say.

Ever get anything back from Remington, Richo?
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 15 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm

Apollo wrote:For the average reloader who can hit the side of a barn he will notice the difference from the improvement in consistancy and less missed shots when it counts. But then again if he puts a $0.10 bullet in it all bets are off.

I am a bit over the hype of these Lapua people with their match grade life style. Out in the field the ground is not level there are no range flags and the distance to target is often an educated guess. Good case prep from even the cheapest piece of brass will give you good hunting accuracy.

I have a good mate who is a Lapua fanatic, has all the latest and greatest wiz bangs that a bench jockey could want. It means little in the field.

We are talking hunting where brass is often lost and the target is usually at least 2" in diameter. If you can put 5 shots into an inch at 100m it is more than enough.

If it works and does what you need it to do. Stick to it.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Manimal » 16 Apr 2014, 3:20 pm

Apollo wrote:For the average reloader who can hit the side of a barn he will notice the difference from the improvement in consistancy and less missed shots when it counts.

Continuing Bills comment a bit.

What are you calling a missed shot here? When does it count?

Missed bullseye at the range or missed heart of a deer?

Bit dubious as to Lapua brass giving much benefit hunting as you can get 1/2 - 1 MOA from plenty of run of the mill brass here anyway...
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 09 May 2014, 8:27 am

In a previous life, cutting a long story short, I loved it when city fellas who had high paying jobs with Lapua cases, exotic rifles etc turned up and I'd take them out chasing pigs. Saw some insane looking firearms then. Lasers had just become the norm. Had more fun teasing the foxes with lasers, but, anyways....

I'd be right behind them collecting the .308 Lapua brass that was spewing out of their semi autos (when everyone could own one).

The best thing was, they would usually miss and "can we come back next weekend" would be the call. More brass and a bottle of Thank You Jack Daniels on offer - you can move in here dude!!

I really miss "the old days."
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by fuggle » 09 May 2014, 11:33 am

You were getting better results out of the Lapua brass, Rob?

A mate and I tried some Lapua brass last year hoping for some consistency for target loads.

Total waste of time in the end :(

Let me find the topic...
Howa Sporter in .308
Howa Varminter in .223 ( best rifle ever )
fuggle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by fuggle » 09 May 2014, 11:33 am

Here.

This was my experience.

So much for Lapua consistency

Just over rated in the end for me.
Howa Sporter in .308
Howa Varminter in .223 ( best rifle ever )
fuggle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 13 May 2014, 11:29 am

I'm up to 9 reloads on .357 nickel brass and none have yet shown any deformation (splits etc). I'm loading mid range - not too light and not too hot.

A few of the older members of my club have said that nickel is a lot more brittle than brass, which is weird because I've had 9mm brass split after 4 reloads (not hot).
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pmomd » 13 May 2014, 4:24 pm

bluerob wrote:I'm up to 9 reloads on .357 nickel brass and none have yet shown any deformation (splits etc). I'm loading mid range - not too light and not too hot.

That's a good run out of nickel brass?

I always thought it was quite brittle and didn't welcome much resizing.
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 13 May 2014, 4:25 pm

I'm shooting mostly Winchester brass but have some Remington.

Up to 6-7 shots with it and has also been necked down to 7mm-08 from .308.

No throw-aways so far.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 17 May 2014, 7:12 am

The free stuff I just loveit!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Love going to the range on Sat when they have the come an try day once a month.Falls on the ground and they just leave it,love come and try Sat!!!! :D :) :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by AusC » 17 May 2014, 5:52 pm

Can't argue with free.

I usually manage to pick up $50 - $60 worth each time I'm at Little River.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition