Best brass for reloading?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Best brass for reloading?

Post by petemacsydney » 14 Apr 2014, 7:50 pm

Richo wrote:All I really wanted to know is if the Remington UMC or Federal Tactical ammo use brass worthy of reloading?

looks like an older thread but i was doing some research on Lapua brass tonight so thought i would chuck in my 1.3 cents... minus taxes... ;-)

Maybe i'm trying to work out the same question as this thread anyway, is it worth spending the extra on more costly brass?

Anyhoo.. saw your question Richo (above)... I'm far from an experienced re-loader or shooter.. but i thought i'd tell you my experience.

I bought a shed load of fed prem tactical in 308 and have recently reloaded them with some nice nosler projectiles, ar2208 and fed prem primers (Chronus put me onto the mix and further after research and after the first 60 rounds i have decided i am definitely happy with his suggestion ;-)

anyway, outcome was great for me. My groups halved from 1moa at 100m to half moa at 100m. i haven't yet put some down range at longer tagrets (thats the next step at the mudgee meetup), but my gut feel is the consistency and gained improvement will stay (when compared to the factory rounds).

but... whilst i am stoked with the difference.. I am still left wondering.. do i go with lapua next time? (as so many recommend).

interesting point though, from research in this forum, it looks like people are getting a lot more reloads out off Lapua, which means cost wise, its probably cheaper in the long run (and hopefully more accurate ;-).

haven't decided on brass upgrade yet... time will tell ;-)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hadoku » 15 Apr 2014, 11:53 am

Richo wrote:Might send Remington an email now and see what they have to say.

Ever get anything back from Remington, Richo?
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 15 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm

Apollo wrote:For the average reloader who can hit the side of a barn he will notice the difference from the improvement in consistancy and less missed shots when it counts. But then again if he puts a $0.10 bullet in it all bets are off.

I am a bit over the hype of these Lapua people with their match grade life style. Out in the field the ground is not level there are no range flags and the distance to target is often an educated guess. Good case prep from even the cheapest piece of brass will give you good hunting accuracy.

I have a good mate who is a Lapua fanatic, has all the latest and greatest wiz bangs that a bench jockey could want. It means little in the field.

We are talking hunting where brass is often lost and the target is usually at least 2" in diameter. If you can put 5 shots into an inch at 100m it is more than enough.

If it works and does what you need it to do. Stick to it.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Manimal » 16 Apr 2014, 3:20 pm

Apollo wrote:For the average reloader who can hit the side of a barn he will notice the difference from the improvement in consistancy and less missed shots when it counts.

Continuing Bills comment a bit.

What are you calling a missed shot here? When does it count?

Missed bullseye at the range or missed heart of a deer?

Bit dubious as to Lapua brass giving much benefit hunting as you can get 1/2 - 1 MOA from plenty of run of the mill brass here anyway...
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 09 May 2014, 8:27 am

In a previous life, cutting a long story short, I loved it when city fellas who had high paying jobs with Lapua cases, exotic rifles etc turned up and I'd take them out chasing pigs. Saw some insane looking firearms then. Lasers had just become the norm. Had more fun teasing the foxes with lasers, but, anyways....

I'd be right behind them collecting the .308 Lapua brass that was spewing out of their semi autos (when everyone could own one).

The best thing was, they would usually miss and "can we come back next weekend" would be the call. More brass and a bottle of Thank You Jack Daniels on offer - you can move in here dude!!

I really miss "the old days."
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by fuggle » 09 May 2014, 11:33 am

You were getting better results out of the Lapua brass, Rob?

A mate and I tried some Lapua brass last year hoping for some consistency for target loads.

Total waste of time in the end :(

Let me find the topic...
Howa Sporter in .308
Howa Varminter in .223 ( best rifle ever )
fuggle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by fuggle » 09 May 2014, 11:33 am

Here.

This was my experience.

So much for Lapua consistency

Just over rated in the end for me.
Howa Sporter in .308
Howa Varminter in .223 ( best rifle ever )
fuggle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 13 May 2014, 11:29 am

I'm up to 9 reloads on .357 nickel brass and none have yet shown any deformation (splits etc). I'm loading mid range - not too light and not too hot.

A few of the older members of my club have said that nickel is a lot more brittle than brass, which is weird because I've had 9mm brass split after 4 reloads (not hot).
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pmomd » 13 May 2014, 4:24 pm

bluerob wrote:I'm up to 9 reloads on .357 nickel brass and none have yet shown any deformation (splits etc). I'm loading mid range - not too light and not too hot.

That's a good run out of nickel brass?

I always thought it was quite brittle and didn't welcome much resizing.
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 13 May 2014, 4:25 pm

I'm shooting mostly Winchester brass but have some Remington.

Up to 6-7 shots with it and has also been necked down to 7mm-08 from .308.

No throw-aways so far.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 17 May 2014, 7:12 am

Best brass for reloading?

The free stuff I just loveit!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Love going to the range on Sat when they have the come an try day once a month.Falls on the ground and they just leave it,love come and try Sat!!!! :D :) :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by AusC » 17 May 2014, 5:52 pm

Can't argue with free.

I usually manage to pick up $50 - $60 worth each time I'm at Little River.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 17 May 2014, 5:56 pm

They must sweep thousands of $$$ worth of brass onto the dirt there every weekend.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 20 May 2014, 3:16 pm

scrolllock wrote:They must sweep thousands of $$$ worth of brass onto the dirt there every weekend.

Not a chance the range officers pick it it up and sell it again as once fired Brass,had one tell me to stop picking it up and he got the s**ts when I told him to go to Hell!!!!! :evil: :P :twisted:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 20 May 2014, 8:00 pm

Westy wrote:
scrolllock wrote:They must sweep thousands of $$$ worth of brass onto the dirt there every weekend.

Not a chance the range officers pick it it up and sell it again as once fired Brass,had one tell me to stop picking it up and he got the s**ts when I told him to go to Hell!!!!! :evil: :P :twisted:

A lot of ranges sell used brass to scrap yards. My mate got 7kg of 303 brass today at scrap price which was about $5 a kg. He said he reckons there's close to 700 cases there
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by jeebo » 21 May 2014, 11:06 am

Westy wrote:Not a chance the range officers pick it it up and sell it again as once fired Brass,had one tell me to stop picking it up and he got the s**ts when I told him to go to Hell!!!!! :evil: :P :twisted:

Ha ha.

Tell him you shot it all and are just picking up your litter like a good citizen :D
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Seik » 21 May 2014, 11:07 am

Baldrick314 wrote:My mate got 7kg of 303 brass today at scrap price which was about $5 a kg. He said he reckons there's close to 700 cases there

Bargain.

Gotta get me to some brass scrap yards :lol:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lyam » 21 May 2014, 11:09 am

Westy wrote:had one tell me to stop picking it up and he got the s**ts when I told him to go to Hell!!!!! :evil: :P :twisted:

Poor baby.

God forbid someone else pick up the free brass that other people left there.

Good on ya.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 25 May 2014, 11:20 am

I don't think most buy because its lap brass and other like norma / hornaby / bertram what about the calibers there are running.There are so many factors to weigh up here.

If they could run cheaper brass for 6x47 lap , 6.5x47 6mm br /dasher / brx / 338 edge 7mm Dakota 6.5 creedmoor 375 cheytac and so on they probably would.You have to take into account how long the primer pockets last in some cals.I run 7mm Dakota /norma brass / 6mm Dasher lap brass / 338edge bertram brass if I could by brass for the cals as good and cheaper I would. 223 run rem brass no probs/7mm rem brass no probs ect. And some brass is better than others and we do anneal after every 2 nd fire with larger cals.

It's what shooters want to pay and about availability at your LGS as well.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition