The cheap mans reloading setup

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

The cheap mans reloading setup

Post by CAVEMAN » 18 May 2020, 1:37 pm

Afternoon all

I have recently had a bit of a play with a Lee Loader, its old school and slow but it still makes a round. I've fluffed it out with a few pieces that make it a bit more user friendly.

The price break down follows
*308 Lee Loader $60
*Hornady Digital scales $70
*Powder funnel $15
*Soft faced hammer $13 (first batch i used a 2x4 that the manual says is an option)

And a few household items i stole from the kitchen or shed
*A cheap small cutting board to hammer on
*A small bowl to pour powder into
*A large clip lock container i use for storage and also cleaning brass (using hot water, dish soap and salt)
*A 10mm drill bit for chamfering the case mouth (not anything special just an old one from the tool box)
*A 50 round foam tray from some cheap rounds (used as a loading tray)
*And a few old 20 round ammo inserts for drying the rounds after cleaning

So for $158 plus some household recycling i have a basic yet usable reloading kit. I have reloaded a round or two with just the kit which is doable but the add on's just makes it a tad tidier. The lee loader doesn't seem to need case lube, has worked dry fine so far. And the cases i am using are being fired by and reloaded for the same rifle.

It is a bit of effort but once in a pattern it works pretty well, the worst part for me is measuring out the powder with just the scales and a dipper. I'm no bench rest shooter, but i'm happy with the product and its a bit of fun and a new skill. And so far my face is still fully intact.

With the picture of the rounds, top is a factory Remington 308 150gn Core-Lokt. And bottom is a reload with a 150gn Sierra.
Attachments
Factory vs Reload.jpg
Factory vs Reload.jpg (134.42 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
Cheap reloading kit.jpg
Cheap reloading kit.jpg (158.91 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: The cheap mans reloading setup

Post by Oldbloke » 18 May 2020, 1:52 pm

Many started like you. I did.
FYI, your loader only neck sizes & should lube the necks. Diff oil works. Lol

Here is a reloading DIY thread I started.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13453

Initially I just used a sharp knife to debure the necks and fine file for the outer edge. Sound rough but works.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tomtom889 » 18 May 2020, 1:52 pm

Looks interesting and definitely would make ammo that goes bang! But I think I'll stick to my reloading press :drinks:
tomtom889
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 18 May 2020, 2:57 pm

nothing wrong with that, after-all you'r hunting so not firing 100 rounds. A bit of light grease on the necks too.
I hunted around a found a pistol case that held just under the listed powder load, a bit of copper wire around the rim and away i went, just topped up on the scales...
Simple, eh?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 May 2020, 3:22 pm

I struggle with the idea of anything that takes more time than it could Useing a powder thrower and Priming with a hand primer is really the only part that I can tolerate or sort of enjoy .... anything to do with flareing or sizing or seating on a press absolutely kills me . But everybody is different and some enjoy reloading no matter how long it takes ....if someone is having fun and producing safe ammo that’s all that matters. Anything beats drinking and smoking on the couch watching tv. At some stage years ago when bowhunting I must have been wallowing in the traditional roll yer own way of life because I made some of my own arrows by cutting arrow shafts on a table saw Useing left over beech from a building site ... I think they started out as roughly half inch by half inch squares and then I hand planed the corners of them. Then I sanded them , coated them with shellac, fletched them and fitted a steel two blade broad head. It was quite satisfying taking boars on cape York with arrows you made yourself.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 18 May 2020, 3:26 pm

Hornady lock n load kit, has everything anyone starting out needs
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 18 May 2020, 3:31 pm

Just remember Ed I still had some under the house they had been sitting there for 20 years A couple of original squares and some octagonal ones pre sanding. Talk about a blast from the past I really should give them to a trad archer so they can be used instead of gathering dust. 2 doz roughly
Attachments
7D662EBA-33F7-4A9C-886E-A692A7CE0642.png
7D662EBA-33F7-4A9C-886E-A692A7CE0642.png (71.99 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 18 May 2020, 3:32 pm

But there is always used kits about
Thing is he can try at every low cost. If you like it buy a lot or add to his gear later.

Cheap kits here.
https://www.ozgunmart.com.au/
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 18 May 2020, 3:47 pm

Oldbloke wrote:But there is always used kits about
Thing is he can try at every low cost. If you like it buy a lot or add to his gear later.

Cheap kits here.
https://www.ozgunmart.com.au/

Ill probably never go any further than this, more of an interest than a need. But i will steal your dipper idea to speed things up. As long as its around the mark i'm happy.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 18 May 2020, 3:49 pm

RoginaJack wrote:nothing wrong with that, after-all you'r hunting so not firing 100 rounds. A bit of light grease on the necks too.
I hunted around a found a pistol case that held just under the listed powder load, a bit of copper wire around the rim and away i went, just topped up on the scales...
Simple, eh?

I might try something i've got lying around, let my inner bogan come out for a bit of lube.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 18 May 2020, 6:57 pm

l started off with the lee hand loader and it did the job for me :thumbsup:

Blr you should start selling your arrows, l can see where you are coming from getting a buzz from making your own :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 18 May 2020, 7:31 pm

Sanding the wooden shafts I realised was a lot easier by wrapping sandpaper around the shaft and having one end of the arrow in the chuck of a cordless drill , just like Robin Hood would have done in the twelth century ( got to keep it traditional)
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RUGGA » 18 May 2020, 9:50 pm

I started with a few lee loaders. Could make around 20 rounds an hour. Thought they were great til cases got to the point of needing FL sizing, then i bought their hand press. Poor man paid twice in my case.....
RUGGA
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by FNQ » 18 May 2020, 10:16 pm

CAVEMAN I’ve got the exact same set up.
Own Lee Loader Kits for every caliber in my collection.
I don’t make one round at a I do mine in stages or batches.
Never worried about lube.

Don’t save money on .223, .303, .308 but do on the .30/06
As for accuracy.. yeah maybe
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 May 2020, 11:52 pm

I started with the Lee Loader as well, but I used a vice rather than a hammer.
I added an RCBS case length trimmer and a Redding beam scale (I still have these all but don't use them), and a full length sizing die.

My brother uses the Lee loader as well, with a portable vice.
Last edited by bladeracer on 19 May 2020, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 19 May 2020, 8:50 am

I still often use my lee hand press in front of telly.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 May 2020, 9:06 am

in2anity wrote:I still often use my lee hand press in front of telly.

I gave up TV more than a decade ago, but the hand press is handy for some tasks, particularly with pistol brass.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 May 2020, 11:46 am

These are incredibly cheap. Were common donky years ago. But I think only good for FLSizing like up to say 223 or pistol.

Press Lee breech lock.jpg
Press Lee breech lock.jpg (24.74 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 19 May 2020, 12:47 pm

What about the "Super Simplex", where are they in the Zoo?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 19 May 2020, 1:39 pm

I had a set of those Hornady scales mate. Traded up fairly quickly. Maybe I had a sketchy set but they wandered like a bloody nomad. Just keep an eye on them.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 May 2020, 2:16 pm

Ditto the hornady scales wandering like a nomad , been a while since I used them so before I posted this I went for a look to check on their function to refresh my memory....but could not find them so perhaps they been wandering so much that they are now down the street somewhere
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 May 2020, 2:20 pm

But in fairness to hornady I must add that my locknload auto charge dispenser/ scales are always super consistent and to be trusted and I expect that for something 300 bucks or more
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 19 May 2020, 3:36 pm

Yes mate, agreed, not bagging out Hornady in general as they make some good kit, but those cheap scales perform exactly like cheap scales.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 May 2020, 3:42 pm

I saw some cheap digital scales at lgs for 8 dollars a set. I wasn’t contemplating them but when the salesman saw them in my hand he walked up to me and strictly told me not to buy them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 04 Jun 2020, 6:43 pm

what i use to lube the necks is cut a 12g case open and empty the lead shot into a smal container with a lid so you dont spill it then i add some graphite to it and dip the necks in it
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by snag » 04 Jun 2020, 7:59 pm

Northdude, that's the sort of excellent tip that makes a forum like this great. I'm gunna try that next time I'm prepping cases.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 04 Jun 2020, 10:17 pm

snag wrote:Northdude, that's the sort of excellent tip that makes a forum like this great. I'm gunna try that next time I'm prepping cases.

Sorry you've missed it the couple of times ive mentioned it snag...hehe

It is a great way to lube necks... :thumbsup:

I think about #5's are about the best size...i say that because i get a consistant but random 22 cal case that gets #4's stuck in it...no biggie, but need to be aware before sending the die into the case.

...err...or case into die even...lol

And #7's are too small--they dont hold enough graphite, but still work, just needs an extra trirl or 2.

I have mine in an old small air rifle pellet tin.

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by boingk » 07 Jun 2020, 11:58 pm

I'm getting into reloading myself and was torn between my usual thriftiness and getting a more time efficient setup. I ended up going with a Lee Classic Turret kit, but before I made the (considerable) decision to do that I would have gone this way:

$50 - Smartreloader Omega 800 O-frame press
$30 - Lee Improved Powder Measure Kit 90100
$80 - Lee die kit

So for $160 all up you'll have a reasonably functional kit which you can add to along the way with proper scales, trimmers, hand priming tools etc. All those prices are straight off ebay for anyone wondering.

The only downside I've been able to find with the very cheap press is that it has slop in the actuating arm assembly. I'd imagine that if you spend $10 at the hardware store on some stainless washers to shim that out you'd have a pretty solid setup. Alternatively, seek out a used press for similar money.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition