The cheap mans reloading setup

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: The cheap mans reloading setup

Post by RoginaJack » 19 May 2020, 12:47 pm

What about the "Super Simplex", where are they in the Zoo?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 19 May 2020, 1:39 pm

I had a set of those Hornady scales mate. Traded up fairly quickly. Maybe I had a sketchy set but they wandered like a bloody nomad. Just keep an eye on them.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 May 2020, 2:16 pm

Ditto the hornady scales wandering like a nomad , been a while since I used them so before I posted this I went for a look to check on their function to refresh my memory....but could not find them so perhaps they been wandering so much that they are now down the street somewhere
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 May 2020, 2:20 pm

But in fairness to hornady I must add that my locknload auto charge dispenser/ scales are always super consistent and to be trusted and I expect that for something 300 bucks or more
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 19 May 2020, 3:36 pm

Yes mate, agreed, not bagging out Hornady in general as they make some good kit, but those cheap scales perform exactly like cheap scales.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 May 2020, 3:42 pm

I saw some cheap digital scales at lgs for 8 dollars a set. I wasn’t contemplating them but when the salesman saw them in my hand he walked up to me and strictly told me not to buy them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 04 Jun 2020, 6:43 pm

what i use to lube the necks is cut a 12g case open and empty the lead shot into a smal container with a lid so you dont spill it then i add some graphite to it and dip the necks in it
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by snag » 04 Jun 2020, 7:59 pm

Northdude, that's the sort of excellent tip that makes a forum like this great. I'm gunna try that next time I'm prepping cases.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 04 Jun 2020, 10:17 pm

snag wrote:Northdude, that's the sort of excellent tip that makes a forum like this great. I'm gunna try that next time I'm prepping cases.

Sorry you've missed it the couple of times ive mentioned it snag...hehe

It is a great way to lube necks... :thumbsup:

I think about #5's are about the best size...i say that because i get a consistant but random 22 cal case that gets #4's stuck in it...no biggie, but need to be aware before sending the die into the case.

...err...or case into die even...lol

And #7's are too small--they dont hold enough graphite, but still work, just needs an extra trirl or 2.

I have mine in an old small air rifle pellet tin.

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by boingk » 07 Jun 2020, 11:58 pm

I'm getting into reloading myself and was torn between my usual thriftiness and getting a more time efficient setup. I ended up going with a Lee Classic Turret kit, but before I made the (considerable) decision to do that I would have gone this way:

$50 - Smartreloader Omega 800 O-frame press
$30 - Lee Improved Powder Measure Kit 90100
$80 - Lee die kit

So for $160 all up you'll have a reasonably functional kit which you can add to along the way with proper scales, trimmers, hand priming tools etc. All those prices are straight off ebay for anyone wondering.

The only downside I've been able to find with the very cheap press is that it has slop in the actuating arm assembly. I'd imagine that if you spend $10 at the hardware store on some stainless washers to shim that out you'd have a pretty solid setup. Alternatively, seek out a used press for similar money.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition