Before and after washing tumbler media

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Before and after washing tumbler media

Post by Lorgar » 04 Apr 2014, 10:48 am

Warrigul wrote:As far as washing media in the kitchen sink goes when you think about all the deadly ****** and heavy metals that comes off a case it it is a very unwise choice.

I was conscious of that.

The sink got a few fills and scourings with boiling water and detergent before it was used again.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by beepar » 04 Apr 2014, 10:49 am

Apollo wrote:To the best of my knowledge the Lyman Brite contains no Ammonia, but whatever is in it seems to add a coating to the brass that protects it from tarnishing.

Cool, good to know.
beepar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 30 Jun 2020, 10:42 pm

I routinely wash my crushed corncob tumbling media probably 2 to 3 times a year.

I place it into a couple of laundry bags that women use to wash their smalls in (available, if I remember correctly, $4 for three bags from Spotlight). They have a zipped closure.

I then agitate them in the laundry tub with a bit of standard laundry detergent (what ever the wife has) and it is really surprising how much ****** comes off/out. The media is a completely different colour once cleaned.

I then lay it out on a towel in the workshop to dry over a few days.

While I wet tumble brass with stainless steel pins, rather than metho or whatever at the end, I toss them into the vibratory tumbler for a couple of hours still wet. This dries them and finishes off the polishing beautifully.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition