Preferred primer pocket reamer

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Preferred primer pocket reamer

Post by Blr243 » 30 May 2020, 11:17 am

I have reloaded probably 4 diff pistol cals and at least half doz rifle cals. Not once have I ever cleaned or reamed a pocket Another recent topic here mentions how tight ppu brass pockets can be .. should I have trouble seating primers as soon as I start loading my ppu brass I will be keen to hear what works for you
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Re: Preferred primer pocket reamer

Post by marksman » 30 May 2020, 11:40 am

if you are having issues with your primer pockets being tight cleaning or reaming will not fix it
use winchester primers as they are thinner in diameter

in the past when l have had my primer pockets get a bit sloppy with the win primers when l use others eg... rem or federal and they are ok
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 30 May 2020, 3:01 pm

Blr i use the lyman one https://www.lymanproducts.com/primer-po ... amer-lg-sm

As others have alluded to, i use it pretty sparingly, just enough to allow me to comfortably seat a CCI primer. I know a lot of service rifle shooters use these on certain brands of factory brass, like S&B.
Last edited by in2anity on 30 May 2020, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 30 May 2020, 3:21 pm

Primer pockets and primer sizes I think must be one of those things where all the different manufacturers just sort of got it right. Sure sometimes a bit tight and some a bit sloppy but it’s pretty cool that for the most part with so many different companies making primers and brass , more than 99 per cent of the time it just works
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 30 May 2020, 7:59 pm

a primer pocket reamer does not make a better primer fit, it takes material off the bottom of the pocket to seat the primer deeper
l also use a lyman primer pocket reamer but do own a K&M reamer as well, the lyman does as good as the K&M
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 30 May 2020, 8:45 pm

marksman wrote:a primer pocket reamer does not make a better primer fit, it takes material off the bottom of the pocket to seat the primer deeper
l also use a lyman primer pocket reamer but do own a K&M reamer as well, the lyman does as good as the K&M

Don’t they just get rid of the sharp edges and make the pocket more uniform? However it works, it makes an uncomfortably tight fit less so, to the point where it no longer feels like your gonna crush the primer when seating. At least that’s my experience.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 30 May 2020, 10:52 pm

it seems l am mistaken :wtf:
l apologize in2 you are right
l have never owned an actual primer pocket reamer always thinking the uniformer was the reamer but they are different :drinks:

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 May 2020, 11:47 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words. I use that all the time. Fail proof communication between parties essential. I wait till I test prime my ppu pockets before I work out how extreme I need to get. Might be sorted with smallish primers. I like the fact that primer size varies between manufacturers
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition