How to fix brass cases with loose neck

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

How to fix brass cases with loose neck

Post by samoohrye » 11 Mar 2014, 5:48 pm

G'day,

I'm asking this on behalf of a mate who's a little way into reloading.

He has a few cartridges he's done up and the bullet is slightly lose in the neck. With a firm finger grip you can spin or pull/push the bullet.

Is there anything to be done to fix these? They were resized before loading? Or have the necks just had it?

Thanks a lot.
samoohrye
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: How to fix brass cases with loose neck

Post by Chronos » 11 Mar 2014, 5:59 pm

Unless he has turned the necks to within an inch of their life if he is using a regular (non bushing) die it should always squash the neck below bullet diameter then expand it over the sizing button to just under bullet diameter.

There's a good chance it's user error.

Maybe the die is bottoming out in the recapping pin and not sizing the neck down. Start by telling him to get reading the instruction book for the dies and go through his set up again.

At least that's where I'd start looking for the problem.

Good luck with it and I hope you, I mean he gets it sorted ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 11 Mar 2014, 6:29 pm

Sounds a bit sus.
If they were resized and you are positive it was done correctly then the next check would be the projectile. Is he using the right pill?
Chronos has mentioned the only thing that I can think of. Start at the beginning and check every first.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 11 Mar 2014, 6:43 pm

Bills Shed wrote:Sounds a bit sus.
If they were resized and you are positive it was done correctly then the next check would be the projectile. Is he using the right pill?
Chronos has mentioned the only thing that I can think of. Start at the beginning and check every first.

Bill

Yeah I thought of that after posting bills shed, might have grabbed some .270 pls for his 7-08. Lol

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 11 Mar 2014, 7:30 pm

I wonder if he's using a Lee Collet Die for sizing. Typical problem of not getting the setting correct, especially the pressure required on the press handle to push the case tight enough on the mandrel.

If this is the case, little option but to pull the bullets, tip out the powder, fire the primers and start again.

What calibre, which dies, cases etc.....

More info please on the proceedure.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 11 Mar 2014, 8:05 pm

I've had this problem before with Lee neck dies. You've got to use a LOT of force to resize them. Another thing I've found can help is neck size then rotate the case about a quarter turn and size it again to make sure it's evenly sized the whole way around
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 11 Mar 2014, 8:27 pm

We are not sure yet if Lee Collet Dies are being used but you are right and I was going to suggest that if that is the die being used. It helps a lot to get the tension if the case is rotated and I would suggest at least twice with pressure. Once the art is mastered they work very well.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Skadoo » 12 Mar 2014, 8:21 am

Chronos wrote:Yeah I thought of that after posting bills shed, might have grabbed some .270 pls for his 7-08.

You'd hope at least that one would be obvious when the pills are just disappearing into the brass when you drop them in :lol:
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by samoohrye » 12 Mar 2014, 9:04 am

Chronos wrote:Good luck with it and I hope you, I mean he gets it sorted ;)

Ha ha ha.

Honestly, I am actually asking for a mate :lol:
samoohrye
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by samoohrye » 12 Mar 2014, 9:07 am

About the other comments.

It's for .308 - He's definitely using 30 cal bullets. (I saw the box)

It's only a few cartridges out of 100, which is why we didn't think he was just completely doing it wrong. Some of the brass was fired a couple of times so we were leaning towards that being a factor? Neither of us are pro's though so we're just throwing out theories to be honest.

To be honest I can't remember what dies he is using? I *think* Hornady maybe? But that's only because the plastic die box was red. I will double check.
samoohrye
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition