Recommended neck turning gear

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Recommended neck turning gear

Post by Lorgar » 12 Mar 2014, 8:05 pm

I think it might be time to start turning my necks.

I'll be resizing and turning brass from .308 into 7mm-08 before turning the now 7mm brass.

Recommend me some neck turning gear, go!

:)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Recommend me neck turning gear

Post by Chronos » 12 Mar 2014, 8:30 pm

K&M kit from BRT is what I use. Hard to beat. You can take the case holder out if the handle and put it in your vordless drill

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 12 Mar 2014, 8:53 pm

I think Chronos means "Cordless Drill" and irrespective which equipment you might use ...Slow Speed. Really slow.

You need to use, again irrespective of brand, the associated "Mandrel" to expand the neck so that the fit / clearance is correct.

What is not pictured is the actual "Carbide Cutter".... It does a much neater job and if you are turning a lot it doesn't go blunt so quick.

Why is it time to start turning your case necks ..... ?????

It's probably a whole new subject but unless you are using "Bushing Dies" the neck turning doesn't work so well.

To answer your question.... the same answer as Chronos .... K&M Gear available from BRT.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 12 Mar 2014, 9:05 pm

No Apollo, my drill is completely vordless. LOL yes obviously a typo.

I think a light skim on necks can help give uniform neck tension even if using a factory chamber and " normal" dies

It also comes in handy if you like me neck down cases like my .308 to 7-08 lapua cases

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 12 Mar 2014, 9:33 pm

Sorry mate, all in jest.

Yes, a very light skim. As you know I don't play with the calibres you do but for someone starting out the idea of "Neck Turning" I'd like to know the reasons why and the equipment available in order to provide better help.

Neck turn too much with a factory chamber and a normal die can result in too much neck clearance, leading too more blow back to the shoulder, not enough seal and carbon deposits in the chamber / neck area unless cleaned properly.

My bad. Perhaps I should not have added those comments but I would like the "Time to Neck Turn" to be explained and I was only trying to issue a caution.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 12 Mar 2014, 9:39 pm

Apollo wrote:Sorry mate, all in jest.

Yes, a very light skim. As you know I don't play with the calibres you do but for someone starting out the idea of "Neck Turning" I'd like to know the reasons why and the equipment available in order to provide better help.

Neck turn too much with a factory chamber and a normal die can result in too much neck clearance, leading too more blow back to the shoulder, not enough seal and carbon deposits in the chamber / neck area unless cleaned properly.

My bad. Perhaps I should not have added those comments but I would like the "Time to Neck Turn" to be explained and I was only trying to issue a caution.

Yeah mate I knew you were just kidding about my spelling. Damn fat fingers and tiny phone key pad :)

I also have the lyman mini lathe off trimming and neck turning but Like I said the k&m kit is the best unit I've used

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 12 Mar 2014, 9:52 pm

Maybe this is of use.....

Neck Turning http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... ng-basics/

Also maybe it's time for me to stop giving advice.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 13 Mar 2014, 5:56 am

I'm using Sinclair's neck turning gear and have been really happy with the results. There's a couple different kits but the one I went for was the NT1000 if I remember correctly (the main unit was green and it cost about $220)

As said above the most important thing is getting the mandrel that matches your neck turning unit and going really slow.

As to the comments above about not needing to neck turn with a factory barrel and dies, you should have a look at my thread on here about neck turning. When I started doing it I cut my groups by about a third. My groups with neck turned brass are consistently smaller than the same load but with non neckturned brass
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by meek » 13 Mar 2014, 7:40 am

Apollo wrote:You need to use, again irrespective of brand, the associated "Mandrel" to expand the neck so that the fit / clearance is correct.

What does the mandrel do exactly that a resizing die doesn't?

It over sizes the next so there is more pressure on the cutting bit or something does it?

Just neck sizing then turning doesn't work?
Remington 700
another Remington 700 :lol:
meek
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 13 Mar 2014, 7:51 am

meek wrote:
Apollo wrote:You need to use, again irrespective of brand, the associated "Mandrel" to expand the neck so that the fit / clearance is correct.

It over sizes the next so there is more pressure on the cutting bit or something does it?

I'd say that the sizing die would leave the inside of the neck .005-.010" smaller than the caliber .300 for a .308 for example so that the neck grips the .308 bullet

You would need to have the neck the correct size so that the neck fits over the mandrel in the cutter

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 13 Mar 2014, 7:57 am

Thanks for the K&M links guys.

Apollo wrote:Why is it time to start turning your case necks?

A few reasons...

1) I've recently switched from shooting .308 to 7mm-08 and have necked down all my old .308 brass. Having put a box of hand loads through it's clear the additional neck thickness is causing some sticking issues, difficult chambering etc. I know this will correct itself in time as the necks thin, but...

2) Something to learn.

3) Something to do.

Any of those will do as to "why".

Things like the mandrel are bits I need to research (early days on neck turning, still missing plenty of knowledge I'm sure). In the few YouTube videos I've watched they skipped this kind of stuff and just show themselves working the case in the turner and the excess brass peeling away.

The way the videos are shot (that I've seen anyway) suggest you just resize your necks and put them through the cutter/turner.

Any tips in addition to the right equipment are obviously welcome.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 13 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

meek wrote:

It's important to have the correct resizing mandrel that matches your neck turner mandrel so you have a tight fit for accurate and repeatable cutting depth
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 13 Mar 2014, 12:31 pm

Lorgar wrote:Any tips in addition to the right equipment are obviously welcome.

Another thing you'll need is a good tubing micrometer to measure the width of your case necks to determine how deep to set your cutting blade/ measure results. I use a Mitutoyo one which is good but if I was buying again I'd get a digital one instead because I find it hard to read small variations (under a thou)

Another important part of your case prep is to ensure all your brass is as close to the same length as you can otherwise you won't turn the full length of the neck on some cases and the unturned part can cause a donut inside the case neck upon firing which I've heard is a bitch to remove

This link has some good info and is the main resource I used to learn about neck turning

http://www.6mmbr.com/neckturningbasics.html
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 14 Mar 2014, 7:41 am

I bet this is turning into more of a pain in the ass than you were hoping for Lorgar :P

:lol:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Return to Reloading ammunition