S and b 308 brass issue

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

S and b 308 brass issue

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jul 2020, 9:48 am

This is more of a warning to others. I have a stack of 308 ppu coming in the mail. My local was low on stock so I just boaght 100 seller bello cases to amuse myself on the weekend I first tried seating Winchester primers but the primer pockets were insanely tight like I have never seen before. I struggled with two hands to get it done and was seriously concerned about damaging the primer. Then I tried federal. It was easier but still the tightest I had ever felt in my life. It got the job done so just be aware of that issue if you are ever in the gun shop and eying off some s and b 308 brass
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: S and b 308 brass issue

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2020, 11:23 am

Yep mine were the same. Try using a sharp pointy knife to remove the burr/crimp from the edge of the pocket. Worked for me. :thumbsup:

Perhaps a Stanley knife.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2020, 1:09 pm

I have thousands of S&B cases in lots of calibers. I can't recall ever having trouble installing primers. I use Rem 9-1/2M.

But, all my brass is prepped before I start using it, including cutting the pockets to the same depth and chambering the edge of the pocket. Primers are an "interference fit", just like the bullet. If the hole is smaller than the piece going into it you must "break" the sharp edge on at least one of them.

Blr243 wrote:This is more of a warning to others. I have a stack of 308 ppu coming in the mail. My local was low on stock so I just boaght 100 seller bello cases to amuse myself on the weekend I first tried seating Winchester primers but the primer pockets were insanely tight like I have never seen before. I struggled with two hands to get it done and was seriously concerned about damaging the primer. Then I tried federal. It was easier but still the tightest I had ever felt in my life. It got the job done so just be aware of that issue if you are ever in the gun shop and eying off some s and b 308 brass
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Jul 2020, 1:36 pm

S&B do have a slightly different primer size, and most brass will benefit from swaging. I run all my S&B through a primer cutter to deepen the pockets .004", and also anneal every shoot to try and get some case life. Only other option is to use S&B primers, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 04 Jul 2020, 3:04 pm

blr that's a very common complaint in my club for high power S&B brass - what you need is the lyman primer pocket reamer tool https://www.lymanproducts.com/primer-po ... amer-lg-sm (not the uniformer one) to take the sharp edge off the edge of the pocket. Once you've done that you be able to seat adequetly. Other than that, S&B is good and thick and will outlast many other brands.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jul 2020, 3:29 pm

Bugger finding all this info after job is done. At least I will know for next time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2020, 3:56 pm

Yep. S&B primers is what I use. Fine after removing burr. Their cheap too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition