Chronographs

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Chronographs

Post by BadShot » 06 Jul 2020, 10:14 am

Hi All,

I recently got a Caldwell Ballistic Chrono to test my reloads, took it to St Marys where you can't have it beyond the firing line so I had only around 1-2ft between pistol muzzle and chrono. everything I read suggests around 10ft minimum, will this invalidate all my readings?
I was testing some reloads so had no idea what to expect here, some behaved as I might expect others not so, but not knowing Muzzle Velocity of these it was hard to tell. using APS350 powder which doesn't seem to have any helpful info on ADI site, their max loads wouldn't even cycle the slide consistently so I'm out in unknown territory..

I tested some Federal Syntech and Some S&B FMJ's which read significantly lower than their noted MV.

Am I chasing my tail as I'm so close to the chrono?

Results fwiw. all strings were 10 shots or more.

Thanks for any advice.
9mm Chrono.png
9mm Chrono.png (62.09 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Chronographs

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jul 2020, 11:06 am

BadShot wrote:Hi All,

I recently got a Caldwell Ballistic Chrono to test my reloads, took it to St Marys where you can't have it beyond the firing line so I had only around 1-2ft between pistol muzzle and chrono. everything I read suggests around 10ft minimum, will this invalidate all my readings?
I was testing some reloads so had no idea what to expect here, some behaved as I might expect others not so, but not knowing Muzzle Velocity of these it was hard to tell. using APS350 powder which doesn't seem to have any helpful info on ADI site, their max loads wouldn't even cycle the slide consistently so I'm out in unknown territory..

I tested some Federal Syntech and Some S&B FMJ's which read significantly lower than their noted MV.

Thanks for any advice.
9mm Chrono.png

As long as it's reading accurately it won't invalidate the data.
I try to keep the chrono as close to the muzzle as possible, but some of the bigger stuff blowing out huge clouds of debris and gas can knock the chrono around and give very strange readings, if it's not stable move it further away until it is.

Max listed loads were max in their test firearm under those specific conditions, it may be well short of max in your situation.
I take ADI data with a large grain of salt as I don't believe they do any actual load development, I think they just feed it into a computer.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 06 Jul 2020, 4:55 pm

in the past l have seen others have problems with blast if the chrono was to close, this was with rifles

l would imagine that you would also be trying to have the bullet path over the chrono the same for every shot,
l'm not 100% sure if this may cause problems or not :unknown:

IMHO it is better to use it how the manufacturer says to, sorry if this does not help at all :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jul 2020, 5:05 pm

As MM has said - I Also have had a steep learning curve using chronoS...too close was my biggest issue.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by BadShot » 06 Jul 2020, 5:14 pm

Curious how others achieve this, you can't have anything beyond firing line, the LabRadar at 3 times the price would seem to solve the problem, but then you learn they 'can' pickup shots from an adjacent bay. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end but so far it's been quite a faff. From rounds not cycling to worrying if the next shot will take your hand off :)
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Jul 2020, 5:30 pm

G'day BadShot,
Don't judge a chrony by it's price, I have a Pro Chrono which is quite cheap and have had it compared to a unit costing many thousands with favourable results. No data set can be taken as comparable to your own results, as bladeracer noted results depend on a wide range of factors which are almost never repeated, so what you need most from your chrono is an indicated speed, then repeatability in your loads to look for ways to reduce spread. Distance to the unit is seldom an issue, mine is normally 2 to 3 feet, rifle or handgun. Just don't test your .58 cal muzzle loader, it leaves burning powder all over the display!! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Jul 2020, 5:49 pm

I have a Labradar and other shooters do trigger the chrono but usually doesn't record the shot. This is still annoying because I have to sit up and press the reset. I cannot use it in competition unless I wait for everyone else to shoot and then lay down my group.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by BadShot » 06 Jul 2020, 6:17 pm

Main problem is I don't know what I can trust here, the only real data I know is the Federal Syntech Training Match ammo has a MV of 1150 on the box and I was reading 600-700 depending on pistol, so I have to believe all readings are suspect. The differeing velocities of the same 145gn reloaded rounds coming out of 2 different pistols also leaves me scratching my head. The S&B stuff is supposedly around 1150fps too although it was a 250 box so have no idea if that stuff is a 'cheaper' round. I'd question whether 70-80 PF would actually cycle the pistol though. They 'felt' like good rounds so I suspect its all pilot error on my behalf.

I guess the next step is to try and get the chrono further away somehow and try again to see if they repeat the same.
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jul 2020, 6:56 pm

You will learn a lot through simply using it A few times - getting frustrated with it / sorting out the issue / finding another issue / kicking it over / comparing results, over a few sessions - But you’ll sort it.

In regards to distance - others have to have been in same boat at that range - ask the RO whSt he thinks might work best..
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sarco » 07 Jul 2020, 11:09 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have a Labradar and other shooters do trigger the chrono but usually doesn't record the shot. This is still annoying because I have to sit up and press the reset. I cannot use it in competition unless I wait for everyone else to shoot and then lay down my group.

I also have a LabRadar however, I do not have issues with it picking up other shots, but I have never used it indoors, if that is what you are doing. The instructional videos and also the manual advise to change the sensitivity setting if this is a problem.

I also have a CED Millenium chrono, which while it gives good results, and is consistantly within 12fps of the LabRadar reading with the same loads, them LabRadar is so much easier and quicker to set up (yes, I would say that it is 3 to 4 times the price of the CED).
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jul 2020, 7:44 pm

Are you able to set your Labradar up so the shooter on the bench next to you doesn't trigger to chrono?

Does your Labradar read all of your own shots with this setup?

If so, I must be doing something incorrectly.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 08 Jul 2020, 10:55 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Are you able to set your Labradar up so the shooter on the bench next to you doesn't trigger to chrono?

Does your Labradar read all of your own shots with this setup?

If so, I must be doing something incorrectly.

I have not had an issue, other than accuracy of the aiming of the radar and remembering to switch between handgun and rifle velocities ans some other parameter changes (eg. projectile weight).

This includes ranges with individual divided bays of about 2M wide (roofed but outdoors) and ranges with simple open firing points, though these have been spaced at probably about 2M, but roofed and no sides.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 12 Jul 2020, 1:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
BadShot wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for any advice.
9mm Chrono.png

As long as it's reading accurately it won't invalidate the data.
I try to keep the chrono as close to the muzzle as possible, but some of the bigger stuff blowing out huge clouds of debris and gas can knock the chrono around and give very strange readings, if it's not stable move it further away until it is.

Max listed loads were max in their test firearm under those specific conditions, it may be well short of max in your situation.
I take ADI data with a large grain of salt as I don't believe they do any actual load development, I think they just feed it into a computer.

ADI do actually lab test loads, not every cartridge but most. They also share data with other manufactures but they are all genuine. I have been to the ADI lab for actual testing, it is REAL ! Don't every one rush to them to test your favourite loads, they will not do them (unless things have changed drastically in the last few years) it was a very specific reason they did them for me and allowed me to attend.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by BadShot » 15 Jul 2020, 9:07 am

So I bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought a Labradar. I see what all the fuss is about now. it works perfectly, easy to setup, gives good data and a bluetooth'd app.
Seems to chew through batteries (6 x AA) but a rechargeable USB power pack can be used. Quick change over from Pistol velocities. to Rifle.
Clearly the Caldwell wasn't the solution for me, whether it be the available distance to the device or just pilot error.
Anyone want a cheap once used Caldwell Ballistic Pro?
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 16 Jul 2020, 10:40 pm

BadShot wrote:So I bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought a Labradar. I see what all the fuss is about now. it works perfectly, easy to setup, gives good data and a bluetooth'd app.
Seems to chew through batteries (6 x AA) but a rechargeable USB power pack can be used. Quick change over from Pistol velocities. to Rifle.
Clearly the Caldwell wasn't the solution for me, whether it be the available distance to the device or just pilot error.
Anyone want a cheap once used Caldwell Ballistic Pro?

Yes,

Certainly chews through AA bateries.
I picked up one of the USB power packs from Jaycar (about $40) for that very reason. I put velcro on the pack and on the battery cover on the LabRadar, whack it on plug in, turn on all good.

Sarco
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ckraus » 22 Jul 2020, 10:09 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have a Labradar and other shooters do trigger the chrono but usually doesn't record the shot. This is still annoying because I have to sit up and press the reset. I cannot use it in competition unless I wait for everyone else to shoot and then lay down my group.

You can fix this by using a remote recoil trigger. I have one and it plugs into the microphone input on the LabRadar and certainly solves this problem. Also means it works with light rounds like 22LR that have trouble triggering the LabRadar normally.
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition