New brass vs once / twice fired accuracy ?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

New brass vs once / twice fired accuracy ?

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Jul 2020, 9:25 pm

I may have been told this answers previously but I’ve forgotten lol.
In a bit of a situation where I have to go on a hunting trip - and as the case (pun intended) maybe - I’ve got to load up brand new brass...
What sought of accuracy difference is there likely to be between new brass and chambered formed brass?
For bench rest - I’m sure you’d not do it, but is the difference as such that it might impede Hunting accuracy - 300m max. ??
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: New brass vs once / twice fired accuracy ?

Post by bigrich » 10 Jul 2020, 9:52 pm

it's a funny one taz , i've learned all rifles are individual . most of my rifles shoot better with reloaded fired brass, but my 222 xtr winchester for some reason will make one hole with new brass and custom loads. i i'm buggered if i can work our why it won't better shoot with once fired brass :unknown: not that clover leafs at 100 are bad :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Jul 2020, 9:57 pm

It won't stop you hitting stuff at 100 metres, I was fire forming some 243AI brass and it was grouping well under 1/2 an inch. New brass is well undersize and has way too much neck tension. I run the unfired brass over a mandrel to relieve some pressure then seat a bullet.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Jul 2020, 10:11 pm

Good point SC - neck tension...something I didn’t think of. :thumbsup:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 10 Jul 2020, 11:33 pm

a couple of things

1) if you can get a good load on unfired cases it will be a good load on unfired case
the reason you cases will be better after being fireformed is that the internal volumes should be more consistent

l fireform 17 ackley cases when hunting rabbits, it works for me anyway

2) what is hunting accuracy Tassie, mate when you work up a load you will make it as precise as you can for paper or the freezer IMO its the same :thumbsup:

good luck on your hunt :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 11 Jul 2020, 10:28 am

Mate my personal experience is that my rifles are more accurate with brass that has been fired and reloaded. Not that new brass is a lot worse but there is a very slight difference.
As a matter of course I always necksize new brass before I reload it to try and alleviate one of the variables.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Jul 2020, 12:19 pm

SCJ429 wrote:It won't stop you hitting stuff at 100 metres, I was fire forming some 243AI brass and it was grouping well under 1/2 an inch. New brass is well undersize and has way too much neck tension. I run the unfired brass over a mandrel to relieve some pressure then seat a bullet.

all my other rifles group better after reloading fireformed brass , but you've got me thinking :idea:
neck tension as you point out SC is a interesting thing to consider with my 222 . maybe things are optimal for that particular rifle with new brass . i learned when playing with 22 hornet a slight crimp improved my grouping . maybe a slight crimp on this rifle may improve things . not that things aren't more than adeqate for hunting/culling now . but you know, if i tweak this here maybe it'll be a little better ......... :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jul 2020, 12:12 pm

How does the 222 shoot with factory loaded ammo? Factory ammo is using brand new brass which is freshly annealed and would have high amounts of neck tension. Some shooters using factory ammo to go hunting and have good results from it.

You can usually reload once fired brass without resizing if you want. The brass should have enough spring back to hold the bullet.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Jul 2020, 4:56 pm

SCJ429 wrote:How does the 222 shoot with factory loaded ammo? Factory ammo is using brand new brass which is freshly annealed and would have high amounts of neck tension. Some shooters using factory ammo to go hunting and have good results from it.

You can usually reload once fired brass without resizing if you want. The brass should have enough spring back to hold the bullet.

i've never shot factory ammo, i've always loaded for it and got one hole accuracy at 100 out of it with new brass. truly phenominal at times . i've always neck sized fired brass when reloading . maybe a slight crimp or partial full length resize is in order . it could have a slight defect in the chamber maybe :unknown:
for some unknown reason it's always shot best with fresh brass . it's just a qwerk of this rifle i guess . all my other rifles get tighter groups with reloaded fired brass. but as i've already said , clover leafs are good enough for a hunter ,and it shoots tighter than any of my other rifles anyway

all rifles are individual and i know this one well , and it's never let me down :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 12 Jul 2020, 10:22 pm

usually to get fresh cases to shoot l have the bullet into the lands, as the bullet seats into the lands l imagine it self centres
it has and does work for me
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition