32-20 loads?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 32-20 loads?

Post by SPRINT-GTO » 10 Sep 2021, 9:27 pm

Thanks to all who have responded given me some good ideas to think about.
As has been said it may be the shot to get a sight blade with a 3/8 base & file it down to suit.
My rifle does not have the screw on base of front sight ,
SPRINT-GTO
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Sep 2021, 9:48 pm

SPRINT-GTO wrote:Thanks to all who have responded given me some good ideas to think about.
As has been said it may be the shot to get a sight blade with a 3/8 base & file it down to suit.
My rifle does not have the screw on base of front sight ,

I don't think he means it's screwed on, it fits into the dovetail but has a set screw to keep in place.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/winchester/rifles-win/1892-2
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Sep 2021, 2:19 am

Bladeracer is correct again.
It is a little grub screw probably 2mm in diameter in the base of the dovetail sight. The 92 sight is webbed s it transitions from the horizontal to the vertical and this screw goes into the web and probably exits at about centre of the base. It looks like loosening the screw would allow the front sight to just slide out.
It would be an imperial thread but I don't know what gauge.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Sep 2021, 9:57 am

Overall height is about 8.5mm and it sits about 7.2mm above the barrel.
This is on a Oct barrel 92 in 32-20.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SPRINT-GTO » 11 Sep 2021, 10:51 am

Thanks fellas ,I was completely in the dark re the little screw I thought the dovetail might just have been a tight fit!!
I now realise I will have to look for the screw & the sight blade. Thanks again & appreciate those measurements Lawrence..
SPRINT-GTO
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Sep 2021, 2:31 pm

SPRINT-GTO wrote:Thanks fellas ,I was completely in the dark re the little screw I thought the dovetail might just have been a tight fit!!
I now realise I will have to look for the screw & the sight blade. Thanks again & appreciate those measurements Lawrence..

Hey mate
I did a little research myself.
Not all 92's have the screw but I don't know why. It may be a an octagonal versus round barrel thing as I know the 04 and 06 can have the little screw as well.
Any 3/8" sight will do the job but lets face it the correct one would make it easier.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 12 Sep 2021, 12:11 pm

Consensus is that after 1910 the front sight with the screw was standard, ( #21 sporting ), prior to that there was a mix of sights with and without it.
There is much conjecture amongst collectors about the reasons why, but suffice to say that there are plenty of rifles made pre 1900 that have the sight with the screw.
My personal thoughts on the need for the screw would have been to prevent sights moving in the dovetail when carried on horseback in a scabbard.
( A possible reason also for why a lot of older rifles have cracked stocks at the wrist )
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by LawrenceA » 12 Sep 2021, 1:03 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Consensus is that after 1910 the front sight with the screw was standard, ( #21 sporting ), prior to that there was a mix of sights with and without it.
There is much conjecture amongst collectors about the reasons why, but suffice to say that there are plenty of rifles made pre 1900 that have the sight with the screw.
My personal thoughts on the need for the screw would have been to prevent sights moving in the dovetail when carried on horseback in a scabbard.
( A possible reason also for why a lot of older rifles have cracked stocks at the wrist )

Personally think it would have more to do with ease of manufacture.
While it would be easier to make without a screw the screw would allow for a wider tolerance in both blade and slot.
But who ever knew is long gone. :?
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SPRINT-GTO » 12 Sep 2021, 9:12 pm

Thanks fellas the good info is appreciated.
SPRINT-GTO
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Tim336 » 21 Apr 2022, 2:02 pm

Boingk
Great thread just bought my 1892 in 32-20 and started a thread on another forum, wish I'd found this first. So I too am looking at the 85grn Hornady bullet. What was the final out come with the hunting trial and what distance are you out to with confidance, I'm looking for 150m on goats down.
Tim336
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition