over cam on reloading press

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

over cam on reloading press

Post by flashman » 15 Jul 2020, 8:36 am

Hi all hope all are doing well, brought my self a Hornady lock and load classic press , could some one PLEASE explain to me the term over cam , there's not a lot of information on die setting up ,my lee press has no over cam easy to set up but the Hornady to much over cam, dies are marking the cases on the shoulders at the top of the ram ,go that little bit more the over cam at the top of the stroke toggles over and whala , market case rings around the shoulders ,this is not a issue in the Lee press , any help on this subject would be appreciated ………………….Thanks :?
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: over cam on reloading press

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jul 2020, 8:44 am

From another forum.
Beats typing, lol

Cam over is referring to the point of adjustment of your reloading dies in between where the shellholder touches the die body and where the handle/ram isn't able to bottom out.

In the middle somewhere is a point when the shellholder will contact the die body Before the ram/handle reaches it's maximum travel YET is still able to be forced down the rest of the way against the die. AKA cammed over
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 15 Jul 2020, 8:59 am

Oldbloke ,thanks for the explanation ,ok if the die sitting on the shell holder at the top of its maximum travel ,how much force is required for the last bit ,the over cam, I would say light pressure just bump the shoulder …. :huh:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 15 Jul 2020, 9:07 am

Cam-Over – Going Beyond True Dead Centre

https://thebloke.co.nz/cam-over-on-a-re ... downstroke.

just follow the Lee instructions and you wont break your dies
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 15 Jul 2020, 9:15 am

Camover simply means that there is still enough leverage in the press to multiply the strength in your arm for the press to compress and/or stretch the ram, shellholder, press frame and die and continue to it's limit of travel.
You can adjust your die somewhat deeper so it never cams over or deeper still and thus get a better 'feel' for what is happening with each case.
By the same token you can adjust your die so it never cams over such as when you want to fls cases to a specific headspace figure.
If the cam over happens at very near the end of travel of the ram this is where the compound leverage system of most presses deliver their maximum leverage advantage.
Another thing to be mindful of is that dies and shellholders from the same manufacturer usually are held to sufficiently close tolerances so you can't over fls a case to end up with excessive or dangerous headspace. There is no guarantee that all manufacturers hold to the same dimensions and tolerances so if you mix manufacturers of dies and shellholders you could unknowingly end up with excess headspace if you follow the general procedure of bottoming the die on the shellholder.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by BadShot » 15 Jul 2020, 9:25 am

flashman wrote:Hi all hope all are doing well, brought my self a Hornady lock and load classic press , could some one PLEASE explain to me the term over cam , there's not a lot of information on die setting up ,my lee press has no over cam easy to set up but the Hornady to much over cam, dies are marking the cases on the shoulders at the top of the ram ,go that little bit more the over cam at the top of the stroke toggles over and whala , market case rings around the shoulders ,this is not a issue in the Lee press , any help on this subject would be appreciated ………………….Thanks :?

There are lots of Hornady videos on YouTube, surprisingly helpful that show all manner of things. there's a user 'hornadyloader' on you tube who has done a video for just about every aspect of the presses, sometimes they are on the AP press but the principles are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaP3Lmhe2RE&t=42s
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by flashman » 15 Jul 2020, 9:50 am

Ok thanks getting it now ,next question is Lee shell holder V Hornady shell holder .not sure if they are the same spec ...would this be a problem as im using Lee holders at the moment
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jul 2020, 9:57 am

flashman wrote:Oldbloke ,thanks for the explanation ,ok if the die sitting on the shell holder at the top of its maximum travel ,how much force is required for the last bit ,the over cam, I would say light pressure just bump the shoulder …. :huh:

Not a lot at all. 1 or 2 fingers pressure is enough. As in "cams over" it will "click"

Depends how much the die is screwed down.

Personally i don't screw the die in that far. I adjust "Just enough" so the cartridge will chamber. No more. Minimises case being sized, better fit in theriory.

But it's horses for courses.

Everyone will have an opinion.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 15 Jul 2020, 10:36 am

Hay Oldbloke are you using Hornady shell holders ?
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jul 2020, 2:10 pm

flashman wrote:Hay Oldbloke are you using Hornady shell holders ?

Nope, no holders.

Lee and RCBS dies. 7/8"
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 15 Jul 2020, 2:56 pm

flashman wrote:Ok thanks getting it now ,next question is Lee shell holder V Hornady shell holder .not sure if they are the same spec ...would this be a problem as im using Lee holders at the moment

The Lee and Hornady shell holders are different. The main difference I’ve notice is the Hornady shell holders have a larger hole in the middle. The Lee shell holders with the smaller hole don’t work in the Hornady case trimmer.

There could be other differences. But if your using Lee shell holders your probably using Lee dies? Then I doubt that would be causing an issue.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by flashman » 15 Jul 2020, 7:38 pm

Hi all been experimenting ,so far so good ,got cam over at the end of the stroke very ,very light so all good so far ,might buy some Hornady shell holders though.....
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 17 Jul 2020, 11:10 am

Ok think I got it all worked out ,have the cam over just enough to bump the shoulder back to spec ,no marks on the case so far so good,,,,,,,thankyou for all the imput.... :thumbsup:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition