357SIG Loads

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

357SIG Loads

Post by Rwd22 » 24 Jul 2020, 2:45 pm

G'day Guys,

Up until now I've managed to get my hands on enough discounted factory ammo to keep me entertained, but I'm going to have to look into hand loading for this cartridge shortly, I went ahead a few weeks ago and picked up a Lee 3 die set, as well as the Lee factory crimp die for 357sig.

I currently load a couple of rifle calibers as well as 9mm for my CZ Shadow 2 aswell as the better halves Shadow 2, I'm currently using APS450, Winchester Small pistol primers and Winchester 124gr RN FMJ, running them through a Lee pro1000 progressive.

Having a look at ADI data for the 357sig gives me a little to work with, but not a great deal. Is anyone here loading this cartridge with APS450?

Ideally I'd like to stick to APS450 aswell as the 124gr win fmj, as I usually have quite a bit of both on hand, but I'm not worried about running with a different powder and projectile combo if there's a better combination that someone suggests.

Pistol is a Sig Sauer 1911 Nightmare Fastback.

My first instincts were to start on reduced loads and work up, but even easier, is asking the question here where someone might have travelled this road :D
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 357SIG Loads

Post by ob1 » 07 Feb 2022, 11:27 am

It was quite a while back, but I ran a 185g projectile and it was a lot easier to get a good working load. Running a light 125gn projectile is going to remove the ability to do a strong crimp (not enough bearing surface area available on the shorter projectile) and will also require more powder.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by rc42 » 07 Feb 2022, 1:58 pm

You could probably use 38 Super maximum load data as a start point, ADI do list some, very similar projectile and case volume but there's a higher SAAMI pressure rating on the 357 Sig.
Alliant load data for the same powder and projectiles always lists a greater powder weight for the 357 sig.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 07 Feb 2022, 5:09 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, I've actually sold the pistol in question, but that's not to say I wont end up with another 357sig down the track.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition