Safety for a novice reloader vs factory ammo

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Safety for a novice reloader vs factory ammo

Post by ployer » 17 Mar 2014, 2:59 pm

This was put to me by a non-shooter relative and I'd like to know what people's thoughts are on it. These were the comments and question that came out of the conversation.

When you go for your license you go through a safety course, get taught some fundamentals and that sort of stuff. At the end of it if everyone's satisfied that you're competent enough you get your license. I know it's not rocket science but there is at least a focus on safety and you're taught a few basics which are important for someone who's never picked up a rifle.

If you buy a factory rifle, and buy factory ammo, you can feel confident everything is as it should be and that you can safely fire the ammo.

For reloading though, you just buy your kit and your components and off you go, and there is the potential for you to make a mistake. Too much powder here, too long COAL creating some pressure issues, whatever other potential problems there are.

The question is: say you buy new factory brass, use a powder charge weight from the middle of the safe range provided by ADI, and set the COAL to the max length from your reloading book - is that as "safe" as a factory cartridge?

I assumed and put forward that argument in our conversation that if its all within spec it should be exactly the same. As long as you're double checking your data is accurate and from a trusted source, double checking your power weights and COAL and everything else, there isn't really any potential for a mishap?

Do you think that's fair to say?

Is there anything in the way factory ammo is prepared that makes it different to an equal hand load?

Not implying anything negative about reloading or trying to stir up trouble. It was a reasonable question though I suppose?
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Safety for a novice reloader vs factory ammo

Post by Berper » 17 Mar 2014, 4:45 pm

Safety's a valid concern as with everything.

There millions of people reloading without trouble though, and everyone had to learn for the first time.
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Seconds » 17 Mar 2014, 5:08 pm

Not having a go but it sounds to me like his your friends concern is completely coming from a place of ignorance.

As you said he's a non-shooter, you're no expert yourself. He's just thought "oow guns dangerous!" and off the conversation went without you to really inform him.

It's no different to anything else... Wield a knife recklessly and someone gets hurt. Use powered cutting tools carelessly, and someone gets hurts. Go flying down the highway without learning to drive... and so on.

Learn how to do it. Do it safely. No problems.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 17 Mar 2014, 5:46 pm

Seconds really put it straight there.

It's all about common sense and self discipline. You can't rush or get distracted while reloading so just be sure your in a good peace of mind and take your time.

As for your question - No. As a general rule when handloading, you need to start at the minimum safe charge and work up until you either meet the maximum safe charge given by your ADI manual or you run into over-pressure issues such as flattened primers or case splitting. For your lack of experience, I would recommend staying with the minimum charge until your competent and confident to start increasing powder charge.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by handofcod » 17 Mar 2014, 6:38 pm

Jump in a car as an inexperienced driver and the potential for a lapse in judgement takes just a split second.

Reloading is just as dangerous except no one is going to shout at you if you stop in the middle of the process and really consider what you are doing.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Seik » 17 Mar 2014, 7:31 pm

ployer wrote:Is there anything in the way factory ammo is prepared that makes it different to an equal hand load?

I'd say better because you know what's in it.

Factory ammo isn't perfect.

e.g. Winchester just did a recall recently from a bunch of double charged ammo.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by petemacsydney » 17 Mar 2014, 8:01 pm

personally i think they should ban brass, primers, powder, reloading, guns, ammo and even wall posters of chicks with guns... Its just not safe.

that's all i got time for tonight, now back to the task of putting together the dillon re loader...she's such a beautiful machine, she belongs in the bedroom...
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by lole » 18 Mar 2014, 6:17 am

You're still putting that together?

C'mon son! We want some pics of it in action ;)
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 18 Mar 2014, 7:47 am

He just bought it for decoration because they look pretty :D
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by petemacsydney » 18 Mar 2014, 7:03 pm

LOL, Sorry guys, i feel like i am letting the team down. it's been sitting in its box for a week because i ordered the extra base mount to bring it above bench height, so i havent even started!
Attachments
dillon.jpg
dillon.jpg (61.07 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 19 Mar 2014, 8:17 am

Well that's a disappointing photo :lol:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by ployer » 26 Mar 2014, 9:00 am

Seconds wrote:Not having a go but it sounds to me like his your friends concern is completely coming from a place of ignorance.

As you said he's a non-shooter, you're no expert yourself. He's just thought "oow guns dangerous!" and off the conversation went without you to really inform him.

That's probably fair to say. I wasn't trying to stir the pot or anything with this but as a non-expert myself thought it was a genuinely interesting question.

I'd agree knowledge and understanding is important to do things safety. Still working on my own in this area :)
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition