357 ammo wont slot in

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

357 ammo wont slot in

Post by Tubs » 28 Jul 2020, 9:45 pm

Hi All - Im reloading 357 for a Ruger GP 100 revolver. first time.

I reloaded my first batch of 357 magnum bullets and to much frustration many rounds would not insert all the way into the cylinder. There is a gap between the revolver cylinder and the case rim which prevents the cylinder from turning/closing etc. Length of the overall bullet is not the issue its the width of the bottom of the case.

The brass is great. The primed brass is great - inserts all the way no problem.

The problem is after I seat the projectile (125 gn flat nose hard cast); it must cause the bottom of the case somehow to bulge slightly. Bizaare!

Stumped and frustrated!.
Tubs
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 27
New South Wales

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jul 2020, 9:50 pm

Perhaps the gun has been fed a diet of .38 Special and has a build-up of crud in the front of the cylinders?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 6714
Victoria

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by Tubs » 28 Jul 2020, 9:58 pm

bladeracer wrote:Perhaps the gun has been fed a diet of .38 Special and has a build-up of crud in the front of the cylinders?


Funny u say that he only shot 38 special he told me. Ill smash it with degreaser and see.....
Tubs
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 27
New South Wales

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by Tubs » 28 Jul 2020, 9:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:Perhaps the gun has been fed a diet of .38 Special and has a build-up of crud in the front of the cylinders?


Note factory 357 Winchester slides in no problem.
Tubs
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 27
New South Wales

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jul 2020, 10:06 pm

Tubs wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Perhaps the gun has been fed a diet of .38 Special and has a build-up of crud in the front of the cylinders?


Note factory 357 Winchester slides in no problem.


Can you measure any difference between a factory round and your reload at the case mouth?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 6714
Victoria

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by Tubs » 28 Jul 2020, 10:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Perhaps the gun has been fed a diet of .38 Special and has a build-up of crud in the front of the cylinders?


Note factory 357 Winchester slides in no problem.


Can you measure any difference between a factory round and your reload at the case mouth?


Yeah some of the rounds have that issue ie: wider at the case mouth. Im consistently seating and not bothering with expander die so less of a problem now.

I think the issue is that when I seat it removes a bit of metal from the case which needs to be peeled back. I have just done for two rounds and problem solved.
Tubs
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 27
New South Wales

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by Bugman » 29 Jul 2020, 7:16 am

Resize die + flare case mouth just enough for projectile to fit+bullet seating die+ Lee Finishing die+ check with Hornady Case Gauge. That is my routine for the first, and the 10th round I produce. in .357 and 38spl
User avatar
Bugman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 182
New South Wales

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by Tubs » 29 Jul 2020, 7:29 am

I use Hornady, they only have 3 dies - sizer, seater, expander
Tubs
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 27
New South Wales

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jul 2020, 8:49 am

Tubs wrote:I use Hornady, they only have 3 dies - sizer, seater, expander


I would get a Lee Factory Crimp Die then and do the crimping separately.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 6714
Victoria

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by Tubs » 30 Jul 2020, 6:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:I use Hornady, they only have 3 dies - sizer, seater, expander


I would get a Lee Factory Crimp Die then and do the crimping separately.


Thanks, would the Lee Factory Die go straight into a Hornady Iron Press or would I need special bushings? Is the Finishing die the same as a crimping die?
Tubs
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 27
New South Wales

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2020, 6:28 pm

Tubs wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:I use Hornady, they only have 3 dies - sizer, seater, expander


I would get a Lee Factory Crimp Die then and do the crimping separately.


Thanks, would the Lee Factory Die go straight into a Hornady Iron Press or would I need special bushings? Is the Finishing die the same as a crimping die?


I would have to check how the Hornady setup works, but the dies are just the standard 7/8-14tpi thread. I would guess the dies screw into a bush for the Hornady system the same as they do with the Lee Breechlock system.

Never heard of a finishing die and no mention of it in the instructions.
https://press.hornady.com/assets/pcthumbs/tmp/1410991964-Instructions-American-Series-Dies.pdf

The Hornady seems to be the same as the Lee stuff, with crimp built in at the top of the stroke of the seating die.
Attachments
Hornady bushing.jpg
Hornady bushing.jpg (24.65 KiB) Viewed 115 times
Lee Bushing.jpg
Lee Bushing.jpg (21.64 KiB) Viewed 115 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 6714
Victoria

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2020, 6:30 pm

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 6714
Victoria

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 30 Jul 2020, 8:23 pm

Hey Tubs are you saying your not using the expander die?

I love to shoot old winchester calibers, which have thin case walls. When I started loading I had trouble when I hadn't flared the case enough, the force of the projectile trying to start will bulge the case enough to stop it from chambering.

I've also had trouble when using way to much crimp, this can also bulge the case.

They are very different cases to 357 though, but just a thought.

I have five 357mags, including a 4" gp100. Awesome caliber and awesome revolver, you'll love it once you work out where your reloads are going wrong
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 282
Queensland

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by Tubs » 30 Jul 2020, 8:47 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Hey Tubs are you saying your not using the expander die?

I love to shoot old winchester calibers, which have thin case walls. When I started loading I had trouble when I hadn't flared the case enough, the force of the projectile trying to start will bulge the case enough to stop it from chambering.

I've also had trouble when using way to much crimp, this can also bulge the case.

They are very different cases to 357 though, but just a thought.

I have five 357mags, including a 4" gp100. Awesome caliber and awesome revolver, you'll love it once you work out where your reloads are going wrong



This is all great feedback - will try with the expander first and see if that works
Tubs
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 27
New South Wales

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by Sarco » 30 Jul 2020, 11:04 pm

To me it sounds like insufficient crimp after seating the projectile. This then binding in the cylinder and not going all the way home.

While for target loads a lot of crimp is IMHO unnecessary, enough to return the case mouth to the same dimension as the rest of the case would be sufficient. For heavier loads a little more is required.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 138
Victoria

Re: 357 ammo wont slot in

Post by Tubs » 30 Jul 2020, 11:11 pm



You were right, I hadnt set the crimp at all. Set and fixed.

Thanks Gents
Tubs
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 27
New South Wales


Back to top
 
Return to Reloading ammunition