Which dies to buy?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Which dies to buy?

Post by Paul » 29 Jul 2020, 8:04 am

Hi folks,
Firstly a big thank you for the responses I get to my sometimes fudemental queries. I appreciate the friendly and open nature of this forum :)

Todays query is of what brand dies to buy. I already have neck resizing for both my 22-250 and .308, though yet to use them, as only just got a press.
Im thinking about full length resizing, as Im concerned that after a some reloads in my 22-250, they need to be tightened up (getting some odd signs on primers (flattening and crater) across all loads, so not thinking it is pressure related).

So the Qn, affordable, and quality full length resize? Lee? RCBS? Do some do a better job, easier to use, smooth threads, keep adjusted etc, and tollerances accurate?

Other options?

Thanks in advance.

Paul.
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Which dies to buy?

Post by marksman » 29 Jul 2020, 8:56 am

IMHO if you do not neck turn you are best to buy the lee deluxe collet die set to start that has the FLS die included
l'm pretty sure they are a 4 die set now as they also include a factory crimp die, a collet neck die and a bullet seater for around $100

it isn't possible to get a factory FLS die with tighter tolerances for your individual rifle because the difference in saami spec is so vast, it can be pretty sloppy
your chamber is cut to different tolerances to the die
forster do make a very good FLS die that is usually tighter than others but it still depends on your rifle chamber to start
all the FLS dies will work but the trick is learning how to use them and set them up correctly

l have had some custom bushing dies that were made with my chamber reamer that l would consider the best dies l have but there not what l call affordable unless you are changing the barrel and buying your own reamer
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by boingk » 29 Jul 2020, 10:39 am

Paul wrote:Hi folks,

So the Qn, affordable, and quality full length resize? Lee?

Paul.

Yeah I'd go Lee. All my dies are from them, mostly their Pacesetter kits, but the individual dies are hard to beat for the money.

I'm resizing in a few different calibres at the moment and don't have any issues.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by duddley75 » 29 Jul 2020, 10:44 am

I am in the same boat. Club members are advising me to get the Redding - Comp dies, they are costly though - ~$400 for a full set.(.308)
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 29 Jul 2020, 11:11 am

For what its worth I'm shooting sub-MOA out of a Marlin levergun using a $75 set of 45-70 Pacesetter dies. Yes, $75 for the set including shell holder, bullet seater, power through expanding die and full length resize die. Comes with a little plastic powder dipper as well for if the world ends and you trash your scales.

I've bought running, driving cars for less than $400. Yes, in this century goshdarnit...
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by JimTom » 29 Jul 2020, 2:02 pm

I have a mixture of Lee, RCBS, and mainly Redding. All work fine. I do like Redding though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition