loading for 5.7 x 28

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: loading for 5.7 x 28

Post by bladeracer » 11 Aug 2020, 6:00 pm

Bello wrote:Hi Marksman
Cabela's in the USA got back to me:

"Thank you for your correspondence. I apologize on the delay answering your-e-mail.
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the brass.
Researching the bulk brass for 5.7 x28 brass I show that all brass and ammo can only be
shipped in the Contiguous 48 states only.

Thank you for visiting cabelas.com.

Sincerely,
Pam S.
Customer Service

Track My Order (Order Number Required): click here
Cabela's CLUB: Join Today and get CLUB Points for free gear!
24/7 Customer Support | 1-800-237-4444 Domestic | 1-308-234-5555 International

I can't see any way of getting loaded ammo or brass anymore.
I got a reply from Bladeracer some days ago about having someone in the USA ship brass over to Australia and he said it was illegal

"No, you do not want to do that. Your friend would be committing Federal offences just to save you a few dollars, and you will be risking federal charges here also for illegal importation - very, very stupid.

It would also still be cheaper to just buy ammo locally and re-use the brass. Or just sell the brass to somebody else and buy more ammo.

What a lovely system we have in Australia. You can own this firearm legally but can not get the ammo for it...Lol
Back to the ol' 22LR pistol for practice...lol
Thanks again to everyone for your continued assistance and guidance in this matter.

It is illegal for a US resident to bypass US export laws - that should be obvious...
It is illegal to import brass or bullets (or live ammo) without an import permit - ammunition components are controlled imports. Not having a source here though you will have no problem at all getting a permit approved.

You can import brass, you just require a B709 import permit, but you also need a US dealer with an export licence willing to send it to you. Unless you order 1000+ pieces, the cost would certainly be far more than buying loaded ammo here though. I have bought brass from the US myself.
You can try emailing Bruce at Brownells.com.au and explain your difficulty. Although Brownells don't seem to list any 5.7x28mm brass, he _may_ be able to work something for you (he has helped me a few times). As an importer they already have import permits in place.

You could also try talking with Astrid (AV Ballistics) or Bruce (Bertram Brass) as I believe both have import permits for brass. But I would expect the price to be horrendous to import any quantity under at least several thousand pieces.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 14 Aug 2020, 2:52 pm

Hi Bladeracer
Thanks for that info.
I have made relevant enquiries with the information you supplied. Astrid has not got back to me. Things are looking grim. But I am ever hopeful.
I spoke to Bruce at Brownells and Bruce at Bertram, no luck.
I still have a few lines of enquiry.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2020, 6:19 am

Roberson do 5.7x28mm brass, and ship internationally, but you're looking at $5 each, plus shipping.
https://www.rccbrass.com/product/5-7x28mm-fn/
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 19 Aug 2020, 5:27 am

Thanks again Bladeracer
I have emailed RCC BRASS, several days ago. They have not replied as yet.
As you mentioned, it is very very pricey brass.
I spoke to a fellow and he is like me, lives I hope that with the launch of the Ruger 5.7, maybe more ammo and brass will make its way onto the Aussie shelves.
Thanks again for your continued assistance and research into this brass issue.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 25 Aug 2020, 5:04 pm

Look what arrived today :D
Attachments
IMG_0575.JPG
5.7 x 28 pic
IMG_0575.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 8538 times
IMG_0577.JPG
5.7 x 28 pic Bullet size comparison
IMG_0577.JPG (2.2 MiB) Viewed 8538 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Aug 2020, 6:23 pm

I saw a post on Facebook, an American has so much 5.7x28mm brass he's sizing them down to .308 to pour lead into them and shoot them as bullets :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 25 Aug 2020, 6:42 pm

I saw a post on Facebook, an American has so much 5.7x28mm brass he's sizing them down to .308 to pour lead into them and shoot them as bullets :-)[/quote]
Thanks for that Bladeracer :(
Here I am pulling my hair out trying to get bras and this bloke is doing that :crazy:
:lol:
But in all seriousness, thanks to you and Marksman, you have both helped so much.
I am hoping to get out to ST Mary's range this week and give the new girl a whirl.
I will keep the brass and try to reload when I get the reloading dies. They are on back order with NO ETA.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cflake » 25 Aug 2020, 9:11 pm

MAIN POINT OF SELLING BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS EXTREME PRICE OF WEAPON AND CARTRIDGE.

BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON OF MAN WHO WEARS EXPENSIVE ITALIAN FASCIST SUIT OF HAND SEWING, DRIVE HUGE EXPENSIVE NAZI MERCEDES OF A.M.G. SHOP, SAIL ON MASSIVE YACHT TO GREEK ISLANDS. I THINK YOU GET PICTURE. BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON THAT SAYS IS NO SUCH THING AS CONCERN OF MONEY.

FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING OF BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWELS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN, THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE. WHOLE IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PISTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

FOR REST OF WORLD THERE IS 9 MILLIMETERS OF LUGER WHICH IS SAME WOUND FOR COST LESS.

--------------

In all seriousness, I did read that there is some coating on factory brass that will disappear when tumbled so you also can't use a tumbler (wet or dry) to clean the brass. Also apparently the cartridge is very easy to overload and has very small tolerances powder loads. I did hear of one guy down here cracking some part on his a few years ago due to slightly too much powder and couldn't for love nor money get the spare part imported so the gun was an expensive paperweight.

I would really like a Five Seven, but the brass availability plus the reloading issues not to mention the cost of the gun to start with make me reconsider each time.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Aug 2020, 10:17 pm

Bello wrote:I saw a post on Facebook, an American has so much 5.7x28mm brass he's sizing them down to .308 to pour lead into them and shoot them as bullets :-)

Thanks for that Bladeracer :(
Here I am pulling my hair out trying to get bras and this bloke is doing that :crazy:
:lol:
But in all seriousness, thanks to you and Marksman, you have both helped so much.
I am hoping to get out to ST Mary's range this week and give the new girl a whirl.
I will keep the brass and try to reload when I get the reloading dies. They are on back order with NO ETA.[/quote]

Have you ordered the Brno FK PSD in 7.5mmFK yet :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 26 Aug 2020, 4:38 pm

Don't give me any more hairbrained ideas. :crazy:
If I even mention that to the little lady, I think I will be cohabitation the dog house for longer than I already do :lol:
I was thinking of a 45-70 pistol. But decided against it.
I think She will let me in the house some time soon.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Aug 2020, 4:56 pm

Bello wrote:Don't give me any more hairbrained ideas. :crazy:
If I even mention that to the little lady, I think I will be cohabitation the dog house for longer than I already do :lol:
I was thinking of a 45-70 pistol. But decided against it.
I think She will let me in the house some time soon.

I saw a video of the FK and was impressed, seems like a better solution than the Five-Seven, hopefully somebody is working on an SMG in the 7.5mmFK to pair it with.

As for a revolver...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V8p4eqjMiw&t=750s
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 27 Aug 2020, 9:29 am

I had a sqiz at the video. The barrel length on the pistol was impractical at best. There I no way I could hide those things form the wife.
I admit to being a bit of a recoil junkie.
I like my bang sticks.
My problem now is, my 'obsession' has grown to a stage where I am needing to upsize my living arrangements just to accommodate my passion.
This wont sit well with the minister for war and finances. :lol:
So any future purchases will have to be well thought out.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 24 Sep 2020, 11:02 am

Hello all
I took the new kid on the block, 5.7 x 28, with my son, to the range at St Marys (in Sydney) for a trial run with some factory Federal FMJ.
All went well.
On reading some posts were people said it was like a 22 WMR, I would say not. I had a fair bit more power, granted it is a lightish pistol.
Accuracy wasn't too bad for its first outing. It did spit the cases out quite hard.
Just waiting for the RCBS FL dies to arrive form the USA and I can start the reloading merry-go-round. :lol:
Attachments
5.7 x 28.PNG
5.7 x 28.PNG (313.59 KiB) Viewed 8404 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2020, 3:46 pm

Bello wrote:Hello all
I took the new kid on the block, 5.7 x 28, with my son, to the range at St Marys (in Sydney) for a trial run with some factory Federal FMJ.
All went well.
On reading some posts were people said it was like a 22 WMR, I would say not. I had a fair bit more power, granted it is a lightish pistol.
Accuracy wasn't too bad for its first outing. It did spit the cases out quite hard.
Just waiting for the RCBS FL dies to arrive form the USA and I can start the reloading merry-go-round. :lol:

Let us know how you get on with it, might help somebody else make their decision whether to go 5.7x28mm or not.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 24 Oct 2020, 9:42 am

Hello again
my 5.7 x 28 dies have arrived...yippeeee
Now I gain lean on my bothers in reloading to pass on any info they may have, for this caliber, I do want to use ADI powder if possible.
Attachments
IMG_0803.JPG
5.7 x 28 dies
IMG_0803.JPG (151.87 KiB) Viewed 8248 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 25 Oct 2020, 2:13 am

Even in the USA this is not a common cartridge and only this year with the release of the cheaper Ruger 57 has there been renewed interest in it.

Sounds like a pain in the butt to reload for.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bello » 25 Oct 2020, 9:03 am

Hello Wanneroo
I have loaded for the usual suspects in rifles eg: 223, 243 .65,308 etc etc.
I did the same for pistol 9mm, 357 etc etc
I decided to try something a little different with the 5.7 x 28. I am aware of some people who have loaded for this caliber in Australia, and now I am hoping they may be able to help me in my loading journey with this bullet.
I have looked on youtube and have seen a lot of people in the USA loading for this bullet, using American powders. I can't get those powders here in Sydney, so I want to use ADI powders.
My Journey started months ago, and getting cases and dies has taken forever. But I am still pressing ahead with it.
I have been lucky with the 'Enough gun" family who have steered me in a direction for loading of this bullet. Just trying to get someone who HAS loaded for this bullet in Australia to guide me a little.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 25 Oct 2020, 9:56 am

l dont know how anyone who knows would say the 5.7 x 28 it like a 22 WMR, no way
the tests they did on the day l saw them in action were shooting through a piece of titanium and a bullet proof vest ect...
they are a pleasure to shoot and my favorite was the bullpup, 50 shot's that is like pointing the hose at the garden
its a shame none of our armed services took them on, the belgian armourers are very impressive
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 26 Oct 2020, 8:05 am

Bello wrote:Hello Wanneroo
I have loaded for the usual suspects in rifles eg: 223, 243 .65,308 etc etc.
I did the same for pistol 9mm, 357 etc etc
I decided to try something a little different with the 5.7 x 28. I am aware of some people who have loaded for this caliber in Australia, and now I am hoping they may be able to help me in my loading journey with this bullet.
I have looked on youtube and have seen a lot of people in the USA loading for this bullet, using American powders. I can't get those powders here in Sydney, so I want to use ADI powders.
My Journey started months ago, and getting cases and dies has taken forever. But I am still pressing ahead with it.
I have been lucky with the 'Enough gun" family who have steered me in a direction for loading of this bullet. Just trying to get someone who HAS loaded for this bullet in Australia to guide me a little.

I'm sure you will make it work somehow if you can get the cases and dies. With any cartridge there are usually different powders that will work.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 26 Oct 2020, 8:08 am

marksman wrote:l dont know how anyone who knows would say the 5.7 x 28 it like a 22 WMR, no way
the tests they did on the day l saw them in action were shooting through a piece of titanium and a bullet proof vest ect...
they are a pleasure to shoot and my favorite was the bullpup, 50 shot's that is like pointing the hose at the garden
its a shame none of our armed services took them on, the belgian armourers are very impressive

I've shot the P90 full auto and it is very smooth, magazine reloading is a bit goofy though and the gun is almost too compact for me.

I am doing my annual machine gun shoot this weekend and it will be there as one of the options.

With the Ruger 57 now out and apparently a success in the marketplace, I wonder if other manufacturers will follow with other products. Would be interesting to see Glock do a chambering in this cartridge.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bello » 26 Oct 2020, 8:48 am

Hello Waneroo
You will have to get short videos of the Machine gun shoots.
That is something I miss.
I didn't enjoy carrying the M60, specially in the rain or heat of summer. But t was fun to shoot.
I lined up 1000 blanks on a section ambush once, between me my No2 on the gun, we fired them all in one go.
They called gun cut, but we were having too much fun to hear that. The platoon commander ran over to us just as the last few rounds went through the gun.
I don't think I could wipe the smile of my face for the rest of the day :D
I would like to see people be able to pay and shoot a machine gun at a dedicated range manned by army personnel, with the gun tethered and all safety protocols in place. I think it would be a hit in Australia.
But it will not happen in my life time :crazy:
I found a place in the USA that sent me once fired 5.7 x 28 cases. Now I just have to start load development.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 27 Oct 2020, 1:09 am

Bello wrote:Hello Waneroo
You will have to get short videos of the Machine gun shoots.
That is something I miss.
I didn't enjoy carrying the M60, specially in the rain or heat of summer. But t was fun to shoot.
I lined up 1000 blanks on a section ambush once, between me my No2 on the gun, we fired them all in one go.
They called gun cut, but we were having too much fun to hear that. The platoon commander ran over to us just as the last few rounds went through the gun.
I don't think I could wipe the smile of my face for the rest of the day :D
I would like to see people be able to pay and shoot a machine gun at a dedicated range manned by army personnel, with the gun tethered and all safety protocols in place. I think it would be a hit in Australia.
But it will not happen in my life time :crazy:
I found a place in the USA that sent me once fired 5.7 x 28 cases. Now I just have to start load development.

:lol: :lol:

Yes I love the M-60, hopefully he'll have it running this weekend. Last time it was down for repair and I shot the M249 SAW instead. But I've run a few hundred round belts through an M-60 over the years, great gun and would like to own one but will need to come up with around $50K for that. There are a number of ranges here in the USA that rent machine guns and even though we have machine guns at work, I like variety so the place I go to has a lot of different guns to pick from, usually around 40-50 and some old stuff as well like Stens, a Thompson and other curios.

I have tons of footage over the years so if I ever start my Youtube channel I'll post some footage.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bello » 27 Oct 2020, 4:45 am

Hello Waneroo
You have fun, while we jealous ones are left behind. :cry:
Ask them what they do with their 5.7 x 28 brass.
Maybe they may have load data. :D
Is it expensive for you to use those firearms, do they charge you be the amount of ammo you use.
Do different firearms of the same calibre cost more?
Is it only automatic weapons?
Why did you mention you need 50K to own an M60?
So many questions :lol:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 27 Oct 2020, 11:16 am

Bello wrote:Hello Waneroo
You have fun, while we jealous ones are left behind. :cry:
Ask them what they do with their 5.7 x 28 brass.
Maybe they may have load data. :D
Is it expensive for you to use those firearms, do they charge you be the amount of ammo you use.
Do different firearms of the same calibre cost more?
Is it only automatic weapons?
Why did you mention you need 50K to own an M60?
So many questions :lol:

It's a pretty good deal. I pay $450 to shoot 10 different machine guns, plus $50 extra to shoot the belt fed M 60. They give you a 5 round magazine for each gun to familiarize yourself with it, then a full magazine for it. The owner has been very good to me over the years, often if he has a new gun he wants me to try he'll let me shoot it for free or whatever. He usually has several dozen guns available, you just look them over and pick out what you want to shoot. He has a guy there just to load magazines or link belts. He's got everything from AKs to M2 50 cal to MP5s.

M-60s that are transferable to regular citizens cost between $40,000 and $70,000. In May 1986 manufacture of new machine guns for regular folks was banned but you can own anything made before that date. Dealers with the right Federal Firearms License(FFL) can own "pre 1986 samples" and "post 1986 samples" or they can manufacture "post 86 samples". Transferable machine guns for regular folks continue to climb in value because there are 175,000 in existence and they are not making any more. "Samples" are much cheaper but you have to have a legit firearms business with the right FFL to own or manufacture them.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Florey55 » 27 Oct 2020, 12:44 pm

Don't buy one.

This is from a post in another forum -

"5.7x28 ammo now banned for import
Just found out today. The American Eagle (federal) ammo code AE5728 has been banned for distribution in Aus. NIOA (importers) no longer list it. Shops who have it can sell it, but no more can be wholesaled or imported.

There is no official statement or document supporting this, so I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

I'm going to guess because some nancy leftist thinks they are armour piercing. NEWS FLASH... Civilians already can't buy armour piercing, tracer, explosive or any military type of ammunition in Australia."
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 27 Oct 2020, 2:36 pm

Hi Florey55
Your friendly neighborhood BELLO has made some enquiries about this issue. :D
This caliber is LEGAL. :thumbsup:
The ammunition for it is LEGAL. :thumbsup:
The problem is: :crazy:
Nioa is the importer of this ammunition into Australia.
Nioa's supplier has contractual obligations in the USA in relation to this ammo.
The USA supplier has to fulfil the USA contracts they have over there first.
So...., the USA supplier of this ammo must first fulfil their USA obligations before they can send any ammo to Australia.
As I understand this situation, this caliber ammo is being used up quite quickly over in the USA. It appears the suppliers aren't making as much as I would like them to. I might have to talk to my ol' mate Donald and see if he can help... :lol:
And, a new 5.7 x 28 pistol has been introduced into the USA market that is much cheaper than the FN 5.7 x 28. In the USA they also have a rifle that uses this ammo. So people are buying it and having lots of fun with it. Good luck to them :drinks:
New brass is also as scarce as over in the USA. Once fired is attainable over there.
AND...I am still chasing load data using ADI powders :unknown:
I live in hope :)
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 28 Oct 2020, 12:41 am

Anything coming out of the USA is going to be in short supply for a while as everything gets hoovered up by the public.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bello » 28 Oct 2020, 4:59 am

Hi Wanneroo
In your opinion, how well received has the new 5.7 x 28 pistol been in America.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 28 Oct 2020, 11:18 am

Bello wrote:Hi Wanneroo
In your opinion, how well received has the new 5.7 x 28 pistol been in America.

Well the new Ruger woke everyone up and at least in all the paid for gun magazines, the Ruger 57 got a lot of press. I still think it is very much a niche cartridge and I don't see a bunch of manufacturers jumping in the fray. I think for Ruger saw a hole in the market to sell something for hundreds of dollars less than the FN and made a play for it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Craigus » 26 Aug 2022, 4:56 pm

Hi Bello,
Heading down the same rabbit hole you did with 5.7x28mm. Did you manage to get brass into aus OK? Seems to be the biggest hurdle atm.
Craigus
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition