Reloading 410 Shotgun Shells

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading 410 Shotgun Shells

Post by Yes » 02 Aug 2020, 1:10 pm

Hi All,

I did a search on here and there were conflicting views about the cost effectiveness of reloading 410. So I thought I would do the math, then offer it up here for feedback. Hopefully the math is correct. The choices of materials are a little random, but swapping out different brand won't change the price much, if at all.

Cost of Materials

Winchester AA Wads $20 (per 250)
Winchester Primers $70 (per 1000)
Lead shot #9 $115 (10KG)
ADI Powder $62 (1 pound, 450grams)

Load

½ ounce of shot (14 grams)
15 grains of powder (1 gram)

Material Cost to Produce 250 Shells

Primers $17.50
Lead Shot $40.25
Wads $20
Powder $34.44

Total for 250 Shells

$112.19 (assuming I have picked up the already paid for hulls around my property and reloaded these).

I can get 250 factory Rio shells for about $130 - so there is a saving there of about $18 per 250. But what isn't factored in to the cost above is reloading equipment. While there are cheaper options, a progressive set-up is over $1000 - that's a lot of loads to recoup the saving.

Cheers.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Reloading 410 Shotgun Shells

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2020, 10:57 pm

Guy over heats the case when annealing. But you get the idea. 410 from a 303

https://youtu.be/gh-I25HMJ7w
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Aug 2020, 11:51 pm

I think everybody agrees that it's significantly cheaper to load all shotshells except 12ga. birdshot.

Does anybody shoot enough .410 to need a progressive press?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Aug 2020, 11:36 am

bladeracer wrote:I think everybody agrees that it's significantly cheaper to load all shotshells except 12ga. birdshot.

No they don't, and you don't even need a press or wads anyway
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2020, 2:45 pm

Do ADI offer any powders in pound bottles here, I've only seen metric, in 500gm, 1kg, 1.5kg, 2kg and 4kg bottles.

I had a look online and the best I can do is about 90 cents apiece if I buy 500rds, but it is Winchester.

Who is doing the Rio at that price?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yes » 04 Aug 2020, 10:49 pm

Winchester is exspensive. For good reason.
Sydney store - $139 for 250, price drops to $130 for 500+
At 6 handle pulls per shell on a single press... You must not be shooting 410 as much me.

Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2020, 11:47 pm

Yes wrote:Winchester is exspensive. For good reason.
Sydney store - $139 for 250, price drops to $130 for 500+
At 6 handle pulls per shell on a single press... You must not be shooting 410 as much me.

Great price then.
It sounds like nobody shoots as much .410 as you :-)
I had a .410 when I was a kid and found it virtually useless in every way, which is why I have zero interest in owning one again.
The light slugs do make good velocity, but without the accuracy, of .22WMR for example.
And if I want to launch light loads of shot I can use .44 or .357 Magnums.

What do you use it for that uses so much ammo? Is it viable for clay shooting?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yes » 05 Aug 2020, 9:25 am

I think you get what you pay for... Rio are a good price in the sense they are 'cheap' - but I think the Winchester ammo is far superior and this is reflected in the price. That said, with the Winchester shells, the AA wads, quality powder and shot you can produce a shell that is close to the Winchester in terms of quality.

Yep, clay thrower for my 410, coupled with the lever action, means I can get through a lot of shells fast. 12g is cheating with the fixed thrower, there's no skill involved once you get a feel for the regularity of the throw - different story at a clay club of course with various stations, more powerful throwers, different bays etc - 12g is perfectly suitable.

I can also spend a couple of hours 'plinking' clays, or setting up the thrower and some targets off in the distance to combine some clays with target, without getting tired of the kick of my 12g, or having to reload every two shots. It's also light so walking around the property to clear up some pests, again without it being overly easy in terms of accuracy, is good fun.

Best thing about guns, something for everyone - I'd give up my 12g well before my 410.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Aug 2020, 10:16 am

Do you have any video shooting Clay's with the .410? It does sound more of a challenge than 12ga., and more fun :-)
You have me thinking now, I'll have to load a bunch of .44 Magnum with shot and see if I can hit Clay's in flight!
What shot size and payload do you use? Which gun do you use?
If I like it though, I can't see myself buying a gun just for it, but I could probably load 12ga. down to .410 levels.
Does the .410 allow you to let the clays fly for a bit, or is it a speed shoot where you have to hit them while they're close?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yes » 05 Aug 2020, 12:37 pm

I have a Henry 410.
#9 shot, I buy my shells from a mate who reloads them on a progressive, I believe he uses 1/2 ounce (14 grams shot) and (15 grains powder), which is how I worked out the figures on reloading.
You need to get the clays when they are relatively close in, otherwise you end up nicking a lot - but with a foot release on the thrower, you can pause as much as you like. I also shift positions when I have it dialed in... even two or three metres in either direction changes the angle enough to keep it interesting.
I don't have any video of me - but take a look at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT680IjhLb8 -- this is basically what I do but also use the thrower - same gun as I use.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Aug 2020, 2:23 pm

Is it possible to pop over to your mates place and use his press? I find that 99% of the time my press just sits there waiting for me to do some reloading. If you can use his setup it will save you on startup cost. Load 1000 rounds which should get you by for a couple of days.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Aug 2020, 5:49 pm

Yes wrote:I have a Henry 410.
#9 shot, I buy my shells from a mate who reloads them on a progressive, I believe he uses 1/2 ounce (14 grams shot) and (15 grains powder), which is how I worked out the figures on reloading.
You need to get the clays when they are relatively close in, otherwise you end up nicking a lot - but with a foot release on the thrower, you can pause as much as you like. I also shift positions when I have it dialed in... even two or three metres in either direction changes the angle enough to keep it interesting.
I don't have any video of me - but take a look at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT680IjhLb8 -- this is basically what I do but also use the thrower - same gun as I use.

I've been following Buffalo for a fair while so I've probably seen that video before. But hand-tossed clays are a bit deceptive due to the very close range. I did look for some clay videos and it looks like maybe about 25-30m is max effective range for clays?
I also looked at Henry, does yours have replaceable chokes?

I want to build a remote solenoid release for the thrower so I can trigger it with a key fob.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 07 Aug 2020, 2:25 am

bladeracer wrote:I think everybody agrees that it's significantly cheaper to load all shotshells except 12ga. birdshot.

Not worth reloading for 20g. They are generally only $1 more than a 12G packet.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition