Bullet pulling 375H&H

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Bullet pulling 375H&H

Post by mickb » 10 Aug 2020, 11:07 pm

A mate with one of the large sized RCBS kinetic bullet pullers( plastic hammer types) was looking to pull apart some old 375 H&H magnum factory ammo. Reason being the rifle sold online and being small town its hard to find local buyers for the ammo. He wants to pull the bullets, deprime etc and sell the components.He is not shy about depriming live primers, so no advice needed there, I couldnt change his mind anyway. Question is how will a bullet puller do with 150x 375H&H or so? Are they pretty strong for that sort of work. I mentioned if he wrecks an $80 puller it might be better just to wait longer to find a buyer.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Bullet pulling 375H&H

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Aug 2020, 11:47 pm

Mate - I’ve had about 7 kinetic pullers and broken them in various places, heads, handles, necks, etc.
If he’s serious - buy the RCBS unit that screws into the press with the .375 insert - this will also protect the BT tips if present. They are a very handy tool.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2020, 12:13 am

TassieTiger wrote:Mate - I’ve had about 7 kinetic pullers and broken them in various places, heads, handles, necks, etc.
If he’s serious - buy the RCBS unit that screws into the press with the .375 insert - this will also protect the BT tips if present. They are a very handy tool.

Agree. They are good. One of the other well known brands does one too. There is also a tupe of "pliars" you can get just for that use.

Here they are.

https://youtu.be/b2zQBhDPHW8
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 11 Aug 2020, 6:10 am

I had two rcbs kinetic hammer type bullet pullers. They both s**t themselves very prematurely the metal collets that grab the base of the bullet kept disintegrating
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Aug 2020, 7:37 am

You can use the shell holder from your press to hold the case in the bullet puller.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 11 Aug 2020, 8:51 pm

l've always found collet type pullers do damage to the bullet, when pulled they dont seem round :unknown:
l dont use the hammer pullers because l have broken them and went onto different type of puller
with a big case like the 375H&H l would be just putting the case in the press raise the ram and pull the bullet lowering the ram with pliers holding the bullet after wrapping something around it and maybe cover the pliers jaws with a few layers of masking tape ect... to make soft jaws

no matter how its done they are seconds really because they have been fitted and pulled
the cases are worth a bit so maybe sell the cases with pulled bullets, your mate will get good money for them
Last edited by marksman on 12 Aug 2020, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2020, 10:55 pm

There is always this. Lol

0_Cheap bullet puller.jpg
0_Cheap bullet puller.jpg (405.04 KiB) Viewed 2688 times

Don't disagree with MM. Lol My RCBS does leave minor damage.

I guess it just depends. Do you want to shoot pigs a out to 150 or rabbits out to 350yrds?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 12 Aug 2020, 9:52 am

Hi Mickb
Sorry to go off topic.
What will you be loading the 375HH with?
Will you use ADI powder. If so, what powder will you be using, what primer, projectile, C.O.A.L.
I have one, and I will be loading for it later this year and just getting ideas what others are using.
I will determine what game I will be chasing later, and I know they all shoot differently, but just want different ideas at this stage.
I have a Sako Kodiak.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 12 Aug 2020, 1:13 pm

Thanks fellas, passed the advice on. He is going to go with the plastic hammer as he has one on hand.

Bello, sorry its not my gun, as mentioned the fella solid it off a while ago. He is pulling old rounds apart so he can sell them as components, being you cant post loaded ammo

As to 375's in general, my last one was in about 2000. I used AR2209 and 270 grain woodleigh round noses for about 2800fps from a 25" CZ550 barrel. Cant remember the actual load or loaded length sorry. But anything in a load manual will work. Its not like loading bench rest. Pick whatever primers, powder, COAL your book said and it will all do the same job. Personaly I like softer bullets liike the woodleigh and the older style hornadys. The fashion since the internet got going with all the fellas doing 'bullet box tests' etc is that 'premium' bullets are necessary... but premium these days means heavy for calibre and hard as bloody hell. We never had problems with the basic woodleigh in 270 grains up to and including scrub bull. It also postively expands on smaller game and at range the round nose profile still hits hard.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Aug 2020, 7:08 pm

If you drop them past my place I can remove them for you. I spent over $3,000 on a device specifically designed to remove 375 bullets from H&H cases. Bullets may be slightly deformed and hard to find but you can have the cases.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Aug 2020, 7:22 pm

Slightly deformed? Errrrr ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by GQshayne » 12 Aug 2020, 8:39 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Slightly deformed? Errrrr ?

The loud noise, and subsequent speedy exit from the barrel causes this. ;)

And you blokes that have broken your hammer style bullet pullers must be rough on your equipment. I bought one in the 1980's and I am still using it. Maybe I make less stuff-ups than the rest of you!!! :drinks:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 12 Aug 2020, 9:40 pm

I still have my hammer puller and have done 7mm rem mag with it.I have a deformed bullet story.When I did the Buffalo safari in Arnhem land day 3 the main guide took 2 Estonians out for the day and they plugged a buffalo but it took off and the guide sent one up behind it.He was caping out and just run out of go so I finished the job and as I was working around the nose area my blade hit something hard and it was his projectile half out.I retrieved it and it was slightly bent and the rifling marks were very clear on it but it looked like you could reload it not that you would.If I ever come across it again I will send a picture.He had his own custom 416 based on the 375 H&H case in a Ruger safari.He called it 416 PH I shot some pigs with it on the last day and the recoil was not a lot more than big game bullets out of my 7mm Rem Mag but it still packed some wallop on pigs up close.The 416 Rigby I shot 3 out of convinced me not to get a 416 Rigby That was a Ruger safari as well they seem to be popular.If Daddybang was still around he would call bull on it but it is actually a true story
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 13 Aug 2020, 6:33 am

SCJ429 wrote:If you drop them past my place I can remove them for you. I spent over $3,000 on a device specifically designed to remove 375 bullets from H&H cases. Bullets may be slightly deformed and hard to find but you can have the cases.

Nice one mate. :lol: But on another tangent would you shoot another fellas handloads?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition