light weight 22 cal bullets

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

light weight 22 cal bullets

Post by Skinna » 14 Aug 2020, 2:01 pm

Silly question time

The bullets that are sold as being for 22 hornet, can they also be loaded in normal 22 CF cartridges?
I cant see why not, but thought i should ask those who might know, as maybe there is velocity max or other mitigating factors i dont know of on the hornet marketed bullets.

The reason i ask is im looking for light weight bullet alternatives (lighter than 40gn) for reduced loads in other 22 cal cartridges for some small feral busting.
So i notice Hornady & Speer just to name a couple, do some of these type bullets.

Thanks
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: light weight 22 cal bullets

Post by animalpest » 14 Aug 2020, 3:07 pm

Some .22 calibres that are much higher velocity than the hornet will see these bullets tear apart mid flight.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Aug 2020, 3:22 pm

I just bought a brick of cci quiets 850 fps or there abouts...I was gob smacked they were still 40gn - I haven’t sighted in yet but I am imagining a rainbow trajectory.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2020, 5:03 pm

Isn't it the Hornet you need to be careful. Older versions were had an odd size bore?
Last edited by Oldbloke on 14 Aug 2020, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Aug 2020, 5:24 pm

Skinna wrote:Silly question time

The bullets that are sold as being for 22 hornet, can they also be loaded in normal 22 CF cartridges?
I cant see why not, but thought i should ask those who might know, as maybe there is velocity max or other mitigating factors i dont know of on the hornet marketed bullets.

The reason i ask is im looking for light weight bullet alternatives (lighter than 40gn) for reduced loads in other 22 cal cartridges for some small feral busting.
So i notice Hornady & Speer just to name a couple, do some of these type bullets.

Thanks

Yep, but you'll want to keep the velocity reasonably low, probably sub-3000fps in a 14"-twist barrel, and a lot less in a modern tighter-twist barrel. I've got .224" jacketed bullets down to 30gn.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2020, 6:06 pm

hornet projectiles come in .223 dia and .224 dia . sierra definately make both sizes as i bought .223 once which were wrong for my modern barrel . i don't think they've made a hornet in .223 since the 1940's , they are rare . as others have said the hornet dedicated projectiles have thin jackets for lower hornet speeds and could fly to bits at higher velocity's in modern centrefires :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Aug 2020, 6:16 pm

Exactly what Blade said, people want to shoot projectiles in 1:8 twist barrels at speeds in excess of 4,000 fps. Manufacturers need to produce bullets with very tough jackets to be able to do this. If you are shooting at reasonable speeds with a much slower twist you should be OK, a 222 with a 1:14 or even a 223 with a 1:12 with lighter loads.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Skinna » 14 Aug 2020, 7:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Skinna wrote:Silly question time

Thanks

Yep, but you'll want to keep the velocity reasonably low, probably sub-3000fps in a 14"-twist barrel, and a lot less in a modern tighter-twist barrel. I've got .224" jacketed bullets down to 30gn.

SCJ429 wrote:Exactly what Blade said, people want to shoot projectiles in 1:8 twist barrels at speeds in excess of 4,000 fps. Manufacturers need to produce bullets with very tough jackets to be able to do this. If you are shooting at reasonable speeds with a much slower twist you should be OK, a 222 with a 1:14 or even a 223 with a 1:12 with lighter loads.

Thanks all, particularly you two-this speed info is what im after. :thumbsup:

I want to get closer to 3000fps for less holdover shooting reduced loads in a 14 twist 22-250 for some smaller block/not so noisy fox busting, so ill add a box or 2 of lighter than 40gn bullets to my next internet order from the big C up yonder, & see how they go.

Thanks
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 14 Aug 2020, 8:50 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I just bought a brick of cci quiets 850 fps or there abouts...I was gob smacked they were still 40gn - I haven’t sighted in yet but I am imagining a rainbow trajectory.

The 40 grain would be a lot flatter than a 30 grain for the same speed
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Aug 2020, 9:44 pm

deye243 wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:I just bought a brick of cci quiets 850 fps or there abouts...I was gob smacked they were still 40gn - I haven’t sighted in yet but I am imagining a rainbow trajectory.

The 40 grain would be a lot flatter than a 30 grain for the same speed

How do you figure that?
CCI Quiet 40gn and CCI CB Long 29gn, both at 710fps follow virtually the same trajectory out yo 100yds. Zeroed at 100yds, the difference at 50yds is less than a half-inch - both are nine-inches high at 50yds, but the 40gn is that minuscule bit flatter. I haven't tried the CB Long past 100m as yet.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition