Trim brass short to trim less often?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Trim brass short to trim less often?

Post by gherx » 18 Mar 2014, 10:32 am

Hi guys,

On the subject of trimming brass to length, I read there are minimum and maximum lengths for case necks.

Obviously if you trim it shorter, you have more time before it gets too long and you have to trim again.

I see from a different trimmers and comments people have difference preferences on what trim length is best.

Why wouldn't you always trim shorter to save yourself the repeat work?

Cheers.
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Trim brass short to trim less often?

Post by Baldrick314 » 18 Mar 2014, 3:07 pm

It's a valid theory. You just don't wanna trim too short because you can run into issues with neck tension and having enough grip on the bullet.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Kelix » 18 Mar 2014, 3:07 pm

This is stretching my knowledge a bit but I believe the problem is that by removing more of the neck you're exposing more of the throat.

The problem is then more carbon build up in the throat, more cleaning required etc.

Someone jump in with whatever info I have missed...
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 18 Mar 2014, 3:53 pm

Kelix wrote:This is stretching my knowledge a bit but I believe the problem is that by removing more of the neck you're exposing more of the throat.

The problem is then more carbon build up in the throat, more cleaning required etc.

that and the fact that in general a longer neck = better concentricity = better accuracy

apart from that i'm not sure i've ever had to retrim brass after 5-10 firings and if i did it takes seconds per case, no biggy

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 18 Mar 2014, 5:08 pm

9mm and other cases like it head space on the mouth, so it would cause problems. When seating the projectile, the crimp you apply is directly related to how long the case is, unless you use a factory crimp die. So you wouldn't apply enough crimp/might not remove enough flair. I couldn't see the need unless you were trimming every time, I use a Lyman case gauge, I only trim when I get one out of the first 10 cases in a catch that fails to go through.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Fry » 19 Mar 2014, 8:05 am

Kelix wrote:This is stretching my knowledge a bit but I believe the problem is that by removing more of the neck you're exposing more of the throat.

That would be enough for me.

Cleaning the throat is pain enough as it is without burning extra rings of carbon on there.
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 19 Mar 2014, 8:39 am

Fry wrote:

That would be enough for me.

Cleaning the throat is pain enough as it is without burning extra rings of carbon on there.

Something wrong is happening if you specifically need to clean the throat area in addition to your normal barrel cleaning routine. I have put 2500 plus rounds on a few Omark barrels without ever having had to pay particular attention to the throat/chamber.

Of course chamber/throat brush manufacturers will tell you otherwise.

But for hunting ammo a standard length trim is preferred especially if you roll crimp with a standard seating die.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Fry » 19 Mar 2014, 11:01 am

Nah I just mean it's a bit awkward to get in there is all. Not as simple as taking out and wiping down a bolt obviously.

I meant to say I wouldn't want to be adding extra crap in there which made it require more cleaning than usual, as it's annoying to get in there.
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ken » 19 Mar 2014, 1:47 pm

For the throat I got a plastic bristle brush and cut it down to be about the shape of the throat.

A bit of solvent and I feed it through where the bolts removed and spin it in the throat to give a scrub.

Then repeat with a big patch draped over it to dry.

Works for me.
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition