Is Australia heading for an AMMO/Reloading shortage?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Is Australia heading for an AMMO/Reloading shortage?

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Apr 2021, 10:04 am

Bill wrote:Biden was talking about clamping down on Ghost guns which are basically components without serials numbers that can then be made into a functional tools.

the gun industry bangs the sky is falling in drum every time a Democrat leader is chosen, same thing happened when Barack was in power.

This component shortage happens every time, this shelf stripping show the insecurities they feel but its more crying wolf :roll:

I think that's very close to the mark
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 11 Apr 2021, 12:01 pm

Some were saying that Obama was the best sales and marketing person that the firearms industry ever had with record sales during his term, looks like Biden has his sights on that record and only the lack of stock on the shelves is likely to slow him down.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by boingk » 11 Apr 2021, 9:44 pm

US panics without reason.

Guns and ammo go bye-bye.

Everyone suffers.

The end.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by wanneroo » 12 Apr 2021, 3:02 am

bigrich wrote:
i heard biden the other talking day about some gun control of some form . is this driving panic buying in the US even more :unknown:

how do you guys go for toilet paper..... :P

Toilet Paper is good, I think the Bat Flu panic is subsiding, so stores are normal.

Even in the 2013 ammo panic I did not see anything like this. There was some reloading supplies available, you could get some powder, primers, bullets, maybe not of your brand choice but you could get them. This time, everything is gone and even the reloading tools are gobbled up. No ammo, no reloading stuff to speak of. Plenty of magazines available, plenty of guns available.

There is a wholesaler in my state that also does some retail sales for those in the know and they have almost nothing available.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by cz515 » 12 Apr 2021, 5:25 am

The factories are working to capacity, but no so means it's going to be profitable year for sales.

Biden stimulating American manufacturing, one more reason hes better than the previous guy
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 12 Apr 2021, 8:04 am

wanneroo wrote:There is a wholesaler in my state that also does some retail sales for those in the know and they have almost nothing available.

This is the part that doesn't make sense in the US right now, manufacturers claim to be producing at a higher rate than ever before yet there is hardly anything getting through to wholesalers and on to stores, even the larger store chains that probably deal directly with manufacturers are just getting small quantities to their shelves.

I can see that the customer backorders would be massive for wholesalers so ammo would come in and go straight out again but if ammo isn't arriving in larger volumes than ever before then something is not right. It's things like this that drive conspiracy theories that government is somehow involved in removing huge amounts of ammo from the system.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 13 Apr 2021, 12:36 am

That or if a shop has 20 people on backorder and a crate comes of 223 ammo, they will not even put it on the shelves just call the people on top of the list and fill them up when they come in. Otherwise the backorder guys would never get anything. If the stores are intelligent they probably take deposits or even full payment when the stock rolls in from the people they call on backorder list.

Unless you cannot backorder in US stores.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 13 May 2021, 12:05 pm

Was lucky enough to pick up some 2209 today in the 1kg bottle. No joy with 2208 though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 May 2021, 1:15 pm

JimTom wrote:Was lucky enough to pick up some 2209 today in the 1kg bottle. No joy with 2208 though.

Sounds like it's still slim pickings then
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 13 May 2021, 1:22 pm

Very slim mate in regional Qld. I see they still have a bit in the city however at my local there is only a few 4kg containers in the one powder and of course it’s not one that I use. Hoping to see some 2208 come through shortly.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 30 May 2021, 10:30 am

Here in the USA, went to 2 gun stores today.

One of them is considered one of the biggest in the state and has it's own staffed reloading counter and they usually have just about everything.

Of course much diminished is the stock on hand, but they had gotten in a big load of Hornady bullets and had some powder. Some of the Winchester powders, Hodgdon and Alliant/Hercules powders. Reloder powders of various numbers, Power Pistol, IMR 4227, H110, Win 748, Clays, Bulleye, etc. Limit of 2 pounds or 1 8 pound container if available. I got a pound of H110 and Power Pistol. Probably in total 15 different powders so you could make something work. They also had some brass, Barnes bullets, Sierra bullets and some others. Looks like they might have had some primers at some point recent but I didn't enquire. Also the store was slammed, probably at least 50-60 people in there.

I also visited a Cabelas last week, big box store, they had pretty much nothing.

It looks like some reloading stuff is coming back in stock but we are a long way off decent supplies of it.

At the one store today they had a variety of 223/5.56 available and a little bit of other ammo.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by the_sovereign_man » 02 Jun 2021, 9:23 am

wanneroo wrote:It looks like some reloading stuff is coming back in stock but we are a long way off decent supplies of it.

We're heading in the right direction at least. Will take a while for that to filter down to Australia, but at least there appears to be some light on the horizon.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 02 Jun 2021, 10:38 am

the_sovereign_man wrote:
wanneroo wrote:It looks like some reloading stuff is coming back in stock but we are a long way off decent supplies of it.

We're heading in the right direction at least. Will take a while for that to filter down to Australia, but at least there appears to be some light on the horizon.

Yes, there are bullets available online and in stores, maybe not the ones you might want but there is something. I've seen a lot of 22 cal bullets come back into stock online and in store, which during the past six months seemed a bit short in supply. Hornady is clearly cranking out stuff.

Powder, at least I am seeing powder now, which was just about non existent all through winter.

Primers I think are the litmus test, I'd like to actually SEE some primers with my own eyes.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by cz515 » 02 Jun 2021, 10:42 am

Lol it feels like you are having withdrawal symptoms

:sarcasm:
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jun 2021, 11:22 am

JimTom wrote:Was lucky enough to pick up some 2209 today in the 1kg bottle. No joy with 2208 though.

What was the cost?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Jun 2021, 7:28 am

Mate from memory it was some where around $115 for the 1kg.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jun 2021, 8:53 am

Thx
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Jun 2021, 9:02 am

No worries mate. Fortunately will be getting down to the big smoke at months end so will take advantage of the big city prices I think. 1kg tubs around $100 down there.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 03 Jun 2021, 8:17 pm

In the SW of.WA I'm having zero issues getting supplies. I've got a.good rep with our dealer and I'm a.pretty high consumer of reloading consumables. Go on put deposit down and await the call...
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 05 Jun 2021, 1:06 am

Big 8 pound tubs of Accurate #2, #5, #7, #9 and other Accurate powders have just hit the market in the USA, as well as Ramshot. Hodgdon has also released a whole bunch of powder to the market, including doing sales online via their own website.

The gun store I was at with powder just got a truckload in. They raised the purchase quantity to 10 pounds at a time and they have a large variety of powders in stock.

So it looks like manufacturers are making reloading powder again, so hopefully some will make its way to Australia.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 05 Jun 2021, 9:47 pm

wanneroo wrote:Big 8 pound tubs of Accurate #2, #5, #7, #9 and other Accurate powders have just hit the market in the USA, as well as Ramshot. Hodgdon has also released a whole bunch of powder to the market, including doing sales online via their own website.

The gun store I was at with powder just got a truckload in. They raised the purchase quantity to 10 pounds at a time and they have a large variety of powders in stock.

So it looks like manufacturers are making reloading powder again, so hopefully some will make its way to Australia.

thanks for the info and update mate . i'm wanting alliant 2400 for my 44 mag and 22 hornet . ar2205 is better, but i'm not holding my breath on that :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 06 Jun 2021, 12:16 am

Just got another report and picture from another big gun store in my region. A load of Autocomp, Titegroup, CFE Pistol, BLC 2, IMR 4064, Accurate 2495, H1000, H335, IMR 4350, Varget, IMR 4895, IMR 3031, H4350, all back on the shelf in quantity.

I'll keep my eye out for Alliant 2400.

All good news, it means they are making powder and packaging it up for reloaders now.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 06 Jun 2021, 7:46 am

wanneroo wrote:
All good news, it means they are making powder and packaging it up for reloaders now.
:clap: :drinks: :thumbsup: and more :drinks: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 06 Jun 2021, 8:00 am

bigrich wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Big 8 pound tubs of Accurate #2, #5, #7, #9 and other Accurate powders have just hit the market in the USA, as well as Ramshot. Hodgdon has also released a whole bunch of powder to the market, including doing sales online via their own website.

thanks for the info and update mate . i'm wanting alliant 2400 for my 44 mag and 22 hornet . ar2205 is better, but i'm not holding my breath on that :thumbsup:

There is heaps of 2205 available at QRA at Belmont. According to the website they have 198 bottles and it appears to be accurate as it’s slowly numbering down.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 06 Jun 2021, 8:02 am

bigrich wrote:

Sorry, I double posted somehow.
Last edited by deanp100 on 06 Jun 2021, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 06 Jun 2021, 3:30 pm

Q-Store is currently listing 198 bottles of the 500g ADI 2205 in stock and their online inventory is usually accurate, the price of $51.70 is actually pretty good too, better than any Brisbane store except Cleavers and they rarely have any.

This is a great powder for 38 Special and larger pistol cartridges, there might even be enough case capacity in 38 Super and 357 Sig to make something very usable if no other powders are available but probably not 9mm unless the projectile is 148gn or more, I actually have some of those still awaiting testing.

https://www.q-store.com.au/shop/product ... ategory=39
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jun 2021, 6:10 pm

Is adi the only rifle powder now available in Australia ? And is Alliant the only pistol powder avail to us or am I missing something?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 06 Jun 2021, 6:14 pm

Blr243 wrote:Is adi the only rifle powder now available in Australia ? And is Alliant the only pistol powder avail to us or am I missing something?

I think you answered your own question. There is Alliant rifle powders around and a smattering of Winchester occasionally.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jun 2021, 8:51 pm

I was in gun shop today. While there I asked about the next shipment of Alliant. They said maybe They might get it this year
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 10 Jun 2021, 8:36 pm

Shooters delight and the Q store seem to be the best chance of getting powder at the moment. I think people forget about them and their supplies hang on for a little longer.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition