Is Australia heading for an AMMO/Reloading shortage?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Is Australia heading for an AMMO/Reloading shortage?

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2021, 12:30 pm

Bills Shed wrote:Moa is all I need. They do what I need them to do.
Ref you using as WSM case to bump up to .270. I would like to see this. Got pic? How are to keeping everything straight a square?
You mentioned accuracy. Is it accurate? I am thinking not so much. Enjoy.
This is not a pissing contest. The question is Australia heading for a ammo / reloading shortage. I believe so. Use what you have, use it within it limits and you will be fine.

Bill

Agreed, MoA is all I need as well, I don't chase any tighter than that. But the swaged bullets can't give me that with any consistency, not sufficiently for shooting live game much further than 100m, too many fliers, even after weight batching them.

I have photos, but they're on my computer, which is down still.
I don't make any great effort to keep anything straight or square. It's a commercially manufactured jacketed bullet sitting inside a commercially manufactured case, a cylinder in a slightly tapered tube, it's square and straight enough for the purpose. Seating the bullet into the case neck is all the tension required to hold the bullet in place. It brings the bullet diameter up to .270".
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=15399#p264113

I have .277" bullets also that I can bring down to .270" but requires at least two sizing dies. But I eventually managed to get the 160gn Cruise Missile Lee mould, which throws well over-sized bullets.

It's for the Carcano, and is accurate enough for that purpose. I haven't tried grouping them since I first tried it, but I can do so again. It allows me to enjoy shooting the rifle more with cheap .243" bullets instead of the 85-cent .264" 160gn RN, which is the only bullet the rifle shoots successfully, so far at least. The composite bullet is accurate enough for plinking with, but not accurate as the 160gn RN. I haven't tried them in any other 6.5mm, and I'm not sure they'd even chamber with such a fat bullet, but it's a good idea to try them - I must do that.

I don't know where you got the impression there's a pissing contest going on. I'm merely giving you some real world feedback on my use of bullets swaged from .22LR brass. If I could make my own bullets this way, cheaper than commercially manufactured bullets, with sufficient consistency to at least come close to similar accuracy, I would. I found it wasn't worth the expense of making or buying the equipment, for myself. At the time, it was something like US$1500 for for the dies from memory? At the time that same money bought me 15,000 55gn soft-point bullets (Hornady and Sierra were $600/5000 and $700/6000 for the RooMax and SuperRoo - 12c apiece for excellent bullets - I paid $180/1000 for Tripod's), which will last me years, plus I have many thousands of other bullets, like the 55gn VMax, 55gn FMJ, 68gn BTHP, 62GN FMJ, and 80gn ELDM that I grab whenever Cleaver does their bulk specials. With the expected shortages, if I hadn't stocked up already, being equipped to be able to make my own jacketed bullets would definitely be a good thing.

Having a large supply of .224" bullets means I can also patch or sabot them up to run in anything that's bigger than .224" if I have to. I'm using Tripod's bullets in .30-cal sabots in .30-30 for example.

As I said, I'm happy to buy some off you for testing, for my own education, and to give you some feedback in another rifle.
Last edited by bladeracer on 05 Dec 2021, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2021, 1:09 pm

I found my first testing of Tripod's bullets.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9219#p148853
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 05 Dec 2021, 1:43 pm

JimTom wrote:I am paying $11.50/100 for primers, got the last small pistol mag primers they had.

Picked up 5000 Fed Sml Pistol a couple weeks ago. Certainly hit the wallet hard at $495! More so, considering I'd bought a slab from the same pallet load, back in February & it only cost me $325!
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Dec 2021, 4:46 pm

gunnnie wrote:
JimTom wrote:I am paying $11.50/100 for primers, got the last small pistol mag primers they had.

Picked up 5000 Fed Sml Pistol a couple weeks ago. Certainly hit the wallet hard at $495! More so, considering I'd bought a slab from the same pallet load, back in February & it only cost me $325!

Sounds like a bit of gouging is going on there mate.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 05 Dec 2021, 5:33 pm

Distributors are the ones gouging (as usual), things go out of stock and when the next shipment comes in the price has increased 20% or more.

I suspect this trend is going to continue for the next few years, by which time prices for anything firearm related are likely to be double what they are now.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2021, 5:43 pm

rc42 wrote:Distributors are the ones gouging (as usual), things go out of stock and when the next shipment comes in the price has increased 20% or more.

I suspect this trend is going to continue for the next few years, by which time prices for anything firearm related are likely to be double what they are now.

the cost of shipping containers has more than tripled in the last two years . the shipping companies are behind a lot of our supply/cost problems :(
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 06 Dec 2021, 8:24 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
gunnnie wrote:

Sounds like a bit of gouging is going on there mate.

Ya think! Too bloody right mate!
It's only gonna get worse as I'm hearing that when Fed primers hit shores again (maybe 12-16mths if we're lucky) the price will be North of $600 a slab of 5000! :o :x
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Dec 2021, 8:48 pm

Jesus, that's $120 per 1000.
Last time I bought them it was $45 per 1000
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 07 Dec 2021, 10:29 am

Graf & Sons is a very large reloading dealer in the US. Check out their primer pages for prices but note how much is out of stock.
https://www.grafs.com/catalog/category/categoryId/3503
As a rough guide you can safely double the US price to get an idea of a reasonable Australian price.
My understanding is that primers and powder have to be transported on an "explosives" ship and how often do they sail?
At this time there is little to be gained by whinging about prices.
The real challenge in the near future will be finding anybody willing to part with them even for a totally exorbitant price.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 07 Dec 2021, 3:51 pm

It's actually looking my joke about diy primers might become reality for a few years here. I've got a booklet I downloaded out of interest but never intended to use it in actual reality
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MtnMan » 09 Dec 2021, 7:53 pm

loaded up with a 4kg bottle of AR2206H today from the LGS.
Should be a lifetime supply for my .222 and .270 reduced loads. backup powder for .270 as well if I can't get AR2209 when I finish the 1kg I have.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 12 Dec 2021, 9:08 pm

Today I just cleaned out Safari arms on the 9.3 hornady. Yep things are getting grim.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 13 Dec 2021, 6:09 pm

Pistol powder - GONE
Pistol primers - GONE
Projectiles - in short supply but mostly obtainable for now
Brass - all over the range, not a problem

I loaded some test rounds of 357 Magnum with 20 grains of ADI 2207 fast rifle powder (full case with slight compression), a 180 grain projectile and a small pistol magnum primer, it was actually too hot with significant pressure signs on the primer when fired from a S&W 686. I'm dropping back a few grains and also trying 160 grain projectiles to run some more tests but at least that's an option for my 357 metallic silhouette loads.

Hopefully I have enough primers for a couple of years, in which time there should be some more stocks or alternatives from elsewhere in the world, the US block on Russian ammo imports may be our friend here.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2021, 7:03 pm

rc42 wrote:Pistol powder - GONE
Pistol primers - GONE

I loaded some test rounds of 357 Magnum with 20 grains of ADI 2207 fast rifle powder (full case with slight compression), a 180 grain projectile and a small pistol magnum primer, it was actually too hot with significant pressure signs on the primer when fired from a S&W 686. I'm dropping back a few grains and also trying 160 grain projectiles to run some more tests but at least that's an option for my 357 metallic silhouette loads.

Hopefully I have enough primers for a couple of years, in which time there should be some more stocks or alternatives from elsewhere in the world, the US block on Russian ammo imports may be our friend here.

Very cool. Is it making good velocity though?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 13 Dec 2021, 7:58 pm

My lgs warned me primers and projectiles will be hard to get for a long time (possibly 18 months). I bought some more primers just to top up. I also paid foe more 20 cal projectiles. I think supply chains all over the world are struggling. I was glad I stocked up after the gun stores reopened here in WA last year. Essentially, I will just grab what I can whenever it becomes available. I want to maintain my inventory so I can still do my shooting until we get back to some semblance of normalcy.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 14 Dec 2021, 1:15 am

rc42 wrote:Pistol powder - GONE
Pistol primers - GONE

The Russians make a lot of primers so if that ban goes through they will probably hit the world market elsewhere.

With ADI not making pistol powder for a long time to come sounds like you all will have to source some alternatives.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by mchughcb » 22 Dec 2021, 5:40 pm

Well the 9.3 projectiles arrived today. That's Vic, NSW and part of QLD cleaned out. So I'm okay for now. However I was looking at Speer the other week in 308 165gr and it was about $55 for 100 which is a good price. I'm getting the point that that I'm thinking to grab that. World on the street is long wait times followed by a big price spike.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bill » 24 Dec 2021, 4:12 am

357 Magnum copper pills, damn hadn't reloaded for over 2 years, found empty shelves apart from 125gr XTPs and 140gr FTXs this week, Lol who bought them all.....
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 24 Dec 2021, 6:17 am

I’ve been trying to get some 158gn too mate. No chance.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 24 Dec 2021, 10:31 am

Well, I wonder if the bubble is starting to pop because I've seen some big sales start popping up here in the USA. Ammo prices are sliding, big sales on bullets. Primers still high but appearing online.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by rc42 » 24 Dec 2021, 12:27 pm

JimTom wrote:I’ve been trying to get some 158gn too mate. No chance.

https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collec ... 38-cal-357

They have online inventory so you can see what's in stock, still quite a few options for powder coated, not so many for copper jackets
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tilb004 » 24 Dec 2021, 2:26 pm

My local gun shop said 2023 for large primers
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 24 Dec 2021, 2:56 pm

Tilb. If that’s true. It’s dismal for sure .....if you are all anything like me , you all have more than enough loaded ammunition for at least 5 years of hunting and target shooting But are just struggling to find components for current or new experiments
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 25 Dec 2021, 11:53 pm

Did inventory, however multiple chamberings mean the pot is spread thin.

Might be a good time to limit shooting / eliminate some chamberings from the arsenal.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by wanneroo » 26 Dec 2021, 5:23 am

Blr243 wrote:Tilb. If that’s true. It’s dismal for sure .....if you are all anything like me , you all have more than enough loaded ammunition for at least 5 years of hunting and target shooting But are just struggling to find components for current or new experiments

With the fact that bullets don't really go bad, brass if looked after can last a long time(I'm shooting a lot of milsurp brass from the 1970s and 80s and have one 45 ACP case from 1953 I keep reloading over and over again), primers can last 70-80 years, powder can last 70-80 years if stored well, it makes sense to stay ahead of the curve five years out.

I learned my lesson back in 2013 and said never again. The past two years have only bought stuff if the prices were great but I didn't really need to buy it in the end, but just to bulk up supplies.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Tilb004 » 26 Dec 2021, 11:39 am

Blr243 wrote:Tilb. If that’s true. It’s dismal for sure .....if you are all anything like me , you all have more than enough loaded ammunition for at least 5 years of hunting and target shooting But are just struggling to find components for current or new experiments

Blr. I will be hunting around to get some when I get back from work .
I’ve seen primers advertised at other shops but 3 hour drive for me.
I’ve just bought a newish second hand sako hunter 243 that’s only fired 18 rounds . I’d like to get enough primers , projectiles to see it out .
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bill » 04 Jan 2022, 6:33 pm

:lol: :drinks: Got lucky with my LGS, no 38 cal pills on the shelves before Xmas, none available from the distributors, dropped in on the way home today and a nice big shiny box of Hornady 158gr XTPs that a customer had order and failed to pick up was winking at me.

looks like the reloading God's have looked upon me favorably LOL
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 04 Jan 2022, 6:47 pm

This thread is or at least should be obsolete. If you dont know the situation as of yet then it is not really an issue for you.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by wanneroo » 05 Jan 2022, 2:03 am

Bill wrote::lol: :drinks: Got lucky with my LGS, no 38 cal pills on the shelves before Xmas, none available from the distributors, dropped in on the way home today and a nice big shiny box of Hornady 158gr XTPs that a customer had order and failed to pick up was winking at me.

Hornady seems to be cranking out the bullets big time and they are readily available here in store and online, sometimes on sale as well. Sometimes at a particular moment in time they might not have the exact bullet you want, but you can find something similar. Australian distributors should not have an issue getting any Hornady stuff.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 05 Jan 2022, 8:45 am

wanneroo wrote:
Bill wrote::lol: :drinks: Got lucky with my LGS, no 38 cal pills on the shelves before Xmas, none available from the distributors, dropped in on the way home today and a nice big shiny box of Hornady 158gr XTPs that a customer had order and failed to pick up was winking at me.

Hornady seems to be cranking out the bullets big time and they are readily available here in store and online, sometimes on sale as well. Sometimes at a particular moment in time they might not have the exact bullet you want, but you can find something similar. Australian distributors should not have an issue getting any Hornady stuff.

getting the containers of reloading gear into australia is the issue . stories of containers of gear sitting on wharves in the USA are getting around . transport to australia is not as profitable for shipping companies at the moment . price gouging on transport and older container ships being mothballed during the global covid downturn , resulting in less ships, aren't helping :cry:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition