Is Australia heading for an AMMO/Reloading shortage?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Is Australia heading for an AMMO/Reloading shortage?

Post by Downunder » 15 Aug 2021, 9:17 am

In town yesterday to pick up some supply’s including primers for the local hunting and fishing shop.
I got a surprise when the case of BR’2’s was $72.00 dearer than the case I bought 4 months ago.

I was told to brace myself for not only price rises but shortages in components for up to 3 years.
The driver is apparent ammunition companies who produced factory ammo will be directing their components into that and stand alone component manufactures who have contracts with other companies will be for-filling those before public supply, combined with the US market being where it is and the future looks challenging.

I’m already experiencing supply issues with a Berger projectiles and brass for some cartridges as well as intermittent ADI supply but this is the first I’ve seen of primer price hikes in Australia.

Just a heads up to keep an eye on things if like me you’ve invested a lot of time and money into handloading, load development and shoot regularity.
Last edited by Downunder on 15 Aug 2021, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 15 Aug 2021, 9:46 am

Not exactly ammo but our club had a delivery of clays this week and were told that this was the last order at existing pricing and due to increases in costs from the manufacturer the next batch will increase in cost by 40%

Pistol primers are in short supply in SE QLD and pistol powder is near impossible to find, I'm sure that when they do return there will be a significant price hike.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Aug 2021, 9:55 am

I’ve noticed supplies of components getting scarce. If the firearms industry isn’t careful, they’ll kill the goose that laid the golden eggs, if you remember that old tale . I suspect there is a element of price gouging going on somewhere in the supply chain. I won’t buy factory ammo either, unless it’s for my rimfire.
If the firearms industry makes it all too expensive or too hard, recreational shooting will die off , and so will profits and jobs
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Aug 2021, 11:48 am

Very true, you are aware of the big picture
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Aug 2021, 3:40 pm

Blr243 wrote:Very true, you are aware of the big picture

nah, i just followed "Doc Old Bloke's" advice from another post , drunk more beer ,and the universe aligned and everything fell into place ....... :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Aug 2021, 3:55 pm

bigrich wrote:

nah, i just followed "Doc Old Bloke's" advice from another post , drunk more beer ,and the universe aligned and everything fell into place ....... :lol:

Well done. You get a pat on the back. Now you just need to learn how to reload your empty stubbles.

:clap: :drinks: :lol: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 15 Aug 2021, 4:12 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Well done. You get a pat on the back. Now you just need to learn how to reload your empty stubbles.

only if i can refill them with coopers pale ale ! :D :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Aug 2021, 4:24 pm

bigrich wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
bigrich wrote:

only if i can refill them with coopers pale ale ! :D :thumbsup:

Have about 20 of them ready for the next trip in the van.

But in 30min I'll be cracking a Coopers Dark Ale that I made about 7 months ago. Mmmm

:drinks:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 15 Aug 2021, 5:08 pm

Righto OB ,you’ve started something , I’ve had a great range day , and I got tomorrow off.
So off to the bottlo I go a . A few beers, listening to some off my extensive vynal record collection will finish off my day

Bigrich, signing off ......
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by boingk » 15 Aug 2021, 5:26 pm

Ah, thats the way gents. I've got a few Cooeprs Sparkling waiting when I get home from work. Not a homebrew mind you... nothing beats a brew you made yourself.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Downunder » 17 Aug 2021, 3:17 am

Yesterday conversation with the local components supplier provided more insight into coming challenges.
He’d been talking with the OSA rep that day who informed him all Hornady orders to the US going forward had a minimum of 18% price rise on Hornady branded goods from the US to Australia. Add OSA’s invariable adjusted margin Hornady products are set to rise significantly.....again

Hornady had a 20% min rise only 8 months ago easily seen in projectiles when there was a shortage and wait for product, the combined rises will make it upwards of 40% rise in 12 months.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 17 Aug 2021, 8:59 am

We are starting to see ammo on the shelf but it is going for top dollar the same box of ammo I was paying 12 dollars for is now going for 26 dollars Remington ammo is back up and running again and we are seeing it on the shelf so it will help.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Downunder » 17 Aug 2021, 9:52 am

wrenchman wrote:We are starting to see ammo on the shelf but it is going for top dollar the same box of ammo I was paying 12 dollars for is now going for 26 dollars Remington ammo is back up and running again and we are seeing it on the shelf so it will help.

“Help” with supply or price reductions? My mates in the states think that manufactures and the middlemen as well as some retailers will use the excuse of recent events as well as demand from millions of new firearms owners to maintain and even push the prices hirer. They seriously don’t think the majority of ammunition and components will come down.

I here that there’s a supply slow up on the horizon again, the reason I read was a world wide shortage of copper as Chi-coms needs increased significantly for electronic components.

I have a feeling the pains only been delayed for us.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 17 Aug 2021, 11:31 pm

Was in a large gunshop in Perth last week - primers in short supply.
They had no small rifle, and 2 cartons of large rifle primers and that was it - no idea when next shipment would arrive.
Luckily I have 10 yrs worth..
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 18 Aug 2021, 1:20 am

Metals prices are high so that will contribute to some of the costs for a while.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 18 Aug 2021, 11:52 am

Everything is and will rise because inflation is rising rapidly. Nearly $2 a shot for 308. Crazy prices.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Aug 2021, 10:12 pm

The cost of everything but wages is rising, the printing presses are running hot pumping new currency into circulation diluting the value of the dollar.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 18 Aug 2021, 10:19 pm

Yep, paid a fortune for a packet of Sierra .224 projectiles today. Geez, couldn’t believe it. Still it is my own fault, I don’t really need them, just wanted to try them.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Downunder » 19 Aug 2021, 6:11 am

on_one_wheel wrote:The cost of everything but wages is rising, the printing presses are running hot pumping new currency into circulation diluting the value of the dollar.

Hyper inflation in a fiat economy, it causes further class divides, when the crash comes there will be those that have everything and those who have nothing.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 19 Aug 2021, 6:32 am

printing presses? You guys are so old school. They don't even have to go to the effort of printing money these days, they simply add a few zero's to the ledger with a keyboard.

Though in saying that maybe they should print cash so we have something to use our wheelbarrows for.

Think I might invest in some wheelbarrows.... ;) You know the saying....when there is a gold rush, don't go digging for gold, set up a store selling shovels and liquor.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Downunder » 21 Aug 2021, 6:51 am

When enquiring about GM215’s the local shop through the NIOA dealer portal said that the orders on the system far exceeded what was coming in In the next shipment and they didn’t know where they stood in the cue which directly impacts whether they get any stock.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 24 Aug 2021, 10:47 am

The Biden regime has placed sanctions on imports of ammunition and firearms from a Russia from Sept 7
Whilst all current contracts will be allowed to be completed the commentary suggests that this will immediately impact ammunition and guns supplied from Russia through increased pricing and in 12 months by the lack of supply.

Whilst we don’t see Russian ammunition here in the AU It’s forecast that the pressure that will be placed on the US market from sanctions will required a larger quantity of US manufactured ammunition to remain for their market.

Its commented it will also push prices higher in the US thus here as well.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 24 Aug 2021, 11:49 am

Hey! The way things are going we could get ammo from Afghanistan. Labelled "Taliban Target Ammo" and every 500 rounds purchased comes with a free Pakol cap. ;)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 24 Aug 2021, 6:01 pm

Downunder wrote:The Biden regime has placed sanctions on imports of ammunition and firearms from a Russia from Sept 7

Wow another good thing Biden has done for American industry and American jobs. Go Biden
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 25 Aug 2021, 6:48 am

cz515 wrote:
Downunder wrote:The Biden regime has placed sanctions on imports of ammunition and firearms from a Russia from Sept 7

Wow another good thing Biden has done for American industry and American jobs. Go Biden

It’s good to you because it’s Biden not because it’s good for others or the economy, but you already new that.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 25 Aug 2021, 8:20 am

The US ammo companies have shown that they can ramp up production enough to meet ongoing demand, over the next year or so all of the shelves will be full and demand will nose dive so this ban probably will be a major benefit to US ammo manufacturing.

Russian ammo will be pushed to the rest of the world at reduced price so that may benefit Australian buyers and should deter any greed driven price increases for US sourced ammo.

As for Biden's motivations, they are most likely anti-firearms based. They are currently trying hard to make firearms and ammo manufacturers in the US legally responsible for anything that their products are used for so that they can be sued out of existence, with no major foreign supply alternatives they can eventually stop the civilian use of guns by making ammo and guns unobtainable or crazy expensive.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 25 Aug 2021, 12:10 pm

The big impact for shooters in regards to Russian ammo is cheap 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 and perhaps to a lesser extent .223 and 9mm. But other Eastern European countries make the stuff and it sounds like they will fill the gap, but at a higher price without the Russian competition.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 25 Aug 2021, 1:04 pm

I bought a Saiga 12 shotgun which is cat C in Queensland. They have not imported these into Australia for ages. Pretty sure Hussain Obama banned their import into America a few years ago.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 25 Aug 2021, 1:19 pm

Again biden actually following Trumps America First policy. Banning imported and foreign made things... actually he hasn't banned them.. just like Trump put a tariff on them. So unless you saying Trump putting Tariffs was bad can't say biden is bad :lol:
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 25 Aug 2021, 7:56 pm

I retail you didn’t agree with all Trumps policies, in fact I didn’t particularly like trump for his personality and behaviour.
Biden’s sanctions have nothing to do with domestic economics but your fan boy dedication to a sick dementia ridden molester is obscuring your view of both the motivation and impacts of such sanctions.

Where just going to have to agree to disagree that these sanctions will negatively impact the US domestic market which in turn will impact our market.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition