Modular die storage system

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Modular die storage system

Post by Jarhead » 26 Aug 2020, 1:20 pm

HI All,

I have produced a modular die storage system for my Lee Breech Lock dies- this may work for other die types too.

Looks like this:

IMG-2318.JPG
IMG-2318.JPG (2.39 MiB) Viewed 1897 times

To add a new caliber you get a 2 piece die block + label block and they click together like lego.

Die Block.jpg
Die Block.jpg (169.73 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

I will make up another storage black on the far end for shell plates, shell holder, etc. I am printing them out on a 3d printer.

Was thinking of listing these on ebay to sell- is there any interest out there? They would be about $10 per calibre plus shipping.
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Modular die storage system

Post by Skinna » 26 Aug 2020, 1:29 pm

Yes yes & yes.
Bloody good stuff JH!!

Ive been going to do something like that for years now-but being good at nothing other than working with wood, i was going to do them out of timber or ply.

The one gripe i have is the die cases most often dont allow for the sleeves--such as the Hornady sleeve the dies sit in to bayonet/screw into the press, so id cater for that as well.(looks like you have in the pic)

The other thing i would do is allow for clip on clear box cover/lids so can transport &/or store from dust.
I live in a dusty old home & the dust is a pita.

Then can i borrow some money to buy some--im broke atm lol.

Good work--i need someone like you here to sort out my computers lol
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 26 Aug 2020, 3:57 pm

No interest from me but I’m glad u posted this. It’s given me the inspiration to mount all my dies in a row. I’ll probably use a holesaw in some sort of material and mount it ....at the moment I have to rummage thru them and struggle to see what’s what because the stamping is often fair and I can’t see the best any more. Time for a change I think
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Aug 2020, 5:14 pm

Blr243 wrote:No interest from me but I’m glad u posted this. It’s given me the inspiration to mount all my dies in a row. I’ll probably use a holesaw in some sort of material and mount it ....at the moment I have to rummage thru them and struggle to see what’s what because the stamping is often fair and I can’t see the best any more. Time for a change I think

I have to agree, when are reloading manufacturers going to realise a lot of us are too old to be trying to read the tiny stampings they use :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Aug 2020, 5:44 pm

Wait there is stampings? Ffs...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 26 Aug 2020, 5:47 pm

Whilst I think this idea has merit, what is wrong with the original containers they come in? Notwithstanding that the Redding containers are rubbish and won’t close if they have ever been stacked on top of each other. I too have thought about manufacturing something from timber.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 26 Aug 2020, 6:11 pm

great idea and l think you will do well selling them :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Aug 2020, 6:25 pm

JimTom wrote:Whilst I think this idea has merit, what is wrong with the original containers they come in? Notwithstanding that the Redding containers are rubbish and won’t close if they have ever been stacked on top of each other. I too have thought about manufacturing something from timber.

Probably the biggest problem is that the dies don't fit into their original boxes once you put a press bushing on them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 26 Aug 2020, 8:45 pm

:thumbsup: Ahh ok that makes sense mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition