38spl drama

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

38spl drama

Post by bluerob » 01 Sep 2020, 10:09 am

Hello

Hoping that the brains trust might be able to assist please?

I have a Dillon 1050 that I bought 2nd hand. I dare say 1000's if 1000000's of rounds have gone through it.

When I'm reloading .38spl, I'm getting some cases that don't seem to resize? About every 10 or 12, I'll get 1 case that doesn't fit into the gauge I'm using, whereas other's have no drama at all? No drama with .357mag, 38 Super or 9mm.

I'm using Dillon carbide dies. Is there a chance that these can wear out after time?

Many thanks guys & best regards to all!
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 38spl drama

Post by wanneroo » 01 Sep 2020, 10:34 am

1 in 12 seems to be a high rejection rate.

I check all my ammo after reloading in a case gauge and usually reject about 1 out of 150 or so. Often times these rounds with no obvious defects will still chamber and shoot.

What I chalk it up to is there are always manufacturing variances and also brass can wear out over time or have issues.

The other thing is I start having more issues if my dies are dirty. It is inevitable over time debris, brass shavings, powder residue, dust, whatever gets in the dies and usually about every 5000 rounds I clean them. The other thing that can happen is a case gauge getting dirty or debris. Anytime I get a rejected round in a case gauge I check the gauge for cleanliness and often it's been some little piece of debris that got caught in there.

Are you checking your brass in a case gauge after resizing OR are you checking it after it's a completed round?
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bluerob » 01 Sep 2020, 12:25 pm

wanneroo wrote:1 in 12 seems to be a high rejection rate.

I check all my ammo after reloading in a case gauge and usually reject about 1 out of 150 or so. Often times these rounds with no obvious defects will still chamber and shoot.

What I chalk it up to is there are always manufacturing variances and also brass can wear out over time or have issues.

The other thing is I start having more issues if my dies are dirty. It is inevitable over time debris, brass shavings, powder residue, dust, whatever gets in the dies and usually about every 5000 rounds I clean them. The other thing that can happen is a case gauge getting dirty or debris. Anytime I get a rejected round in a case gauge I check the gauge for cleanliness and often it's been some little piece of debris that got caught in there.

Are you checking your brass in a case gauge after resizing OR are you checking it after it's a completed round?

Many thanks for your reply.

I usually decap primers 1st in a single stage press, throw them into a dry tumbler for cleaning, spray a tiny bit of case lube onto the cases I've dumped into the auto case feeder then run those cases through the 1050. I check the powder throw and then I check the finished round in a case gauge (also from Dillon). The case gauges are clean, but, I can't say my dies are SUPER clean. I'll strip the dies down and give them a thorough clean out and see how that goes.

I just found it REALLY weird how some come out perfect and every 12 or so are just a bees dick too large for the case gauge.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 01 Sep 2020, 2:32 pm

I use a Square Deal just for my favourite 38spl load. I separate the cases into each manufacturer. I must admit I mainly use Starline brass. I strip and clean my dies every 1000 rounds just as a precaution after talking to a rep from Dillon in the States.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 01 Sep 2020, 10:36 pm

Bugman wrote:I use a Square Deal just for my favourite 38spl load. I separate the cases into each manufacturer. I must admit I mainly use Starline brass. I strip and clean my dies every 1000 rounds just as a precaution after talking to a rep from Dillon in the States.

Thanks for your reply mate. I'll strip the dies down and give them a clean out in the ultra sonic to make sure all the crap comes out.

I haven't struck this in the past and its really weird. I know there's some difference in brass quality & thickness, but, same brand works, then it won't??
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 02 Sep 2020, 1:40 am

Once you clean your dies, you can always do another test to narrow down the issue. Resize 50 or 100 in your single stage press and if they all clear the case gauge then perhaps the problem is further on down the line with expanding, seating the bullet or crimping.

I'd also make sure your resizer is dialed in correctly. I found on my progressive that I had issues with die lock rings coming loose and dies shifting up or down in the threads and all of that.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bluerob » 03 Sep 2020, 9:47 am

wanneroo wrote:Once you clean your dies, you can always do another test to narrow down the issue. Resize 50 or 100 in your single stage press and if they all clear the case gauge then perhaps the problem is further on down the line with expanding, seating the bullet or crimping.

I'd also make sure your resizer is dialed in correctly. I found on my progressive that I had issues with die lock rings coming loose and dies shifting up or down in the threads and all of that.

Cheers mate. I'll check those also.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition